livigno/stelvio

its easily done in 8 days

I've done London/Rome/London in 5 days. Including one full day in Rome for a wedding.
But I cheated a bit loading the bike on the train till Nice on the way down. :D

But, yes without rushing, 8 days is plenty.

We've been tripping out to Italy and Nurburgring for many years and I would repeat what someone else mentioned above. There's no point looking for nice transit roads in Northern Europe if you are passing through. It makes more sense to just sacrifice a few hours covering distance on the A roads (which are epic at speed anyhow) or the motorways to spend more time enjoying yourself further down.

For instance take the fastest and incredibly boring direct route through Belgium and use the time saved to take in the B500 Black Forest road from Baden Baden which is one of the best roads in Europe. If you ride at the speed limits then Switzerland has all the obvious mountain passes which are amazing and usually quieter once you get off the (horrible 50mph motorway) roads onto the mountain passes since the main roads often have tunnels for all the traffic.

We like to press on so usually avoid Switzerland and go via Innsbruck, Austria which is a super nice road all the way down from Black Forest, Germany through Austria into Italy. You can then take the Jeufren Pass to Stelvio which is in many ways superior to ride.

If nobody else has said it above, you might think about using the tunnel from Switzerland into Livigno. It's a great experience, a really old long tunnel under the mountains, one way, try to be first in the queue. :thumb

Not being glib, but I didn't notice, nor do I remember. What is the cost of the tunnel?

It's an ace tunnel. We did on a blistering hot day and it was like riding in a fridge.

Not being glib, but I didn't notice, nor do I remember. What is the cost of the tunnel?

It's an ace tunnel. We did on a blistering hot day and it was like riding in a fridge.

looks like its 10 euro on a bike one way?

basecamp/kurviger

well i have give it ago and my head is fried,thanks for all your efforts,i will still play with it but am not holding my breath for a good outcome.will maybe just trust my nav 5 to do the hard bit for me.:thumby:ps i have decided to do nurburgring on the way home,weather permitting.

thanks for that,funny you are the 1st to answer as we too are setting off from manchester,i chatted to you once at a bike meet bmw at the windmill once you had an 1150 i think.you dont have a rough route for the journey do you as we wanted to do nurburgring last year on our trip but the weather was horrendous cheers.

Hey Sutty, nice to hear from you again. Yes , I used to organise the Windmill meet when I had my 1150 . We took the o/night ferry from Harwich to the Hook . Our route was boring and mostly motorway but then we didn’t have much spare time . We came up the Umbrail Pass to the Stelvio which was fun and partially a graded gravel road to the summit, although I think someone on here said it’s now tarmac all the way. It looks like you have more than enough help / ideas for the route now anyway thanks to Richard . Have a great trip :thumb

not long now BUT i have looked at the long range weather and it isnt looking good,more south and west better weather.so do i stick to the plan and do what i have always wanted to do, stelvio,maybe in the rain or look for the sun and do the planned route next year.:thumby:

Back
Top Bottom