putting a specific route on a tom tom

Colin

Reaction score
In September I am travelling up through Holland to Utrecht and I want to put a route in my Tom Tom rider V5. Avoiding the Antwerp ring road. What is the best way to put a customised route in? Although I have been using GPS's since 2008 I usually just put the destination in and follow it, It does give me 3 alternative choices usually.
I have looked at my paper map and I know where I want to go.
Any help would be appreciated, and try and keep it simple please.:rob

Google: TomTom rider create route

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/8vzulNO700w" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

As an alternative, lots of bods on this site use the MyRoute app, so it can’t be hard

Yes, MyRoute app, design your route in one of the various maps configurations i.e. Google , check the waypoint position on the TomTom maps, export to your device via cable or save to a Micro SD and import.....

Pretty sure the MyRoute app doesn’t work with the V5

They use ITN files

You can use the Tyre application to plan a route or you can convert a GPX file to ITN as explained in the manual
http://download.tomtom.com/open/manuals/rider2013/refman/TomTom-Rider5-RG-en-us.pdf#page39

Using manual conversion
1. Connect your TomTom Rider to your computer.
2. Place your GPX files in the GPX2ITN folder on your device.
3. Disconnect your device from the computer.
4. Turn your device on.
Each file is then converted into an ITN file. You can convert up to 50 files in one batch.
5. When the conversion has finished you can load your Itinerary. In the Main menu, tap Manage
itineraries, then Open.

I’ve only tried this once with an itinerary for the Route Napoleon, the conversion worked but the GPS tried to send me round in circles so I gave up

I just enter a few destinations on the route and go from one to the next

MyRoute app works with any route format , itn, gpx, trf,etc..... importing and exporting.

I've imported routes in trf. / itn. / gpx. and exported them in itn. / gpx.

tom tom

thanks for all your suggestions. I will experiment further tomorrow. yesterday I did put in several destinations (way points) and went out in the car to try it. and that worked. I've never done that before. I.ve only got a mobile phone not a smart phone.
so can't change anything when travelling.

Back
Top Bottom