Oslo to Nordkapp route

Been to the top a few times ,from Scotland , pack the camp gear and ride .
When there is no more road north ,, that's the top :thumb2
Seems to me Tooooo much overthinking !
Decent map ( Michelin ) and off you go :thumb2:thumb2
The good roads are marked in green :thumb2
Enjoy

You're right! The issue with the bike has been a pain to sort out and we are worrying too much regarding the tank range. We've only got 17 days to tour Norway and get back to the UK and don't want to miss anything!

With only 17 days ,,, reconcile yourself ,,,, to the fact that you will miss some things however don't let that put you off enjoying the parts that you will get to visit ,and IMHO ,it's good to have a reason to revisit Norway ( 4 times so far ,and will be back)
A great riding destination for touring bikers .

With only 17 days ,,, reconcile yourself ,,,, to the fact that you will miss some things however don't let that put you off enjoying the parts that you will get to visit ,and IMHO ,it's good to have a reason to revisit Norway ( 4 times so far ,and will be back)
A great riding destination for touring bikers .

We're really looking forward to it but there's just toooo much to see!

Been to the top a few times ,from Scotland , pack the camp gear and ride .
When there is no more road north ,, that's the top :thumb2
Seems to me Tooooo much overthinking !
Decent map ( Michelin ) and off you go :thumb2:thumb2
The good roads are marked in green :thumb2
Enjoy

I'm with you, and that is how we do it when we are a couple of mates only (but I don't do tents, too old for that shit. I dislike mosquitos and drinking beer I need to get up during the night).
Anyway, the thing is, when proceeding northbound, you get up to an area with limited capacity for hotels/cabins. If you are in a group of more than 3-4 guys, a bit of planning ahead will make the logistic soo much easier. The area is not heavy populated, thus the ferry schedules may be limited, some ferries make the last run fairly early etc. A bit of planning ahead may keep you from spending several hours waiting for the ferry. Some times, starting the day an hour earlier may make a ton of difference.

As I understand it the gentlemen started their trip yesterday. so this may be too late, but I forgot to mention:

When reaching Majavatn along E6, an attractive detour would be to turn right and ride this route, that will bring you back on track on E6 reaching Korgen.

https://www.google.no/maps/dir/65.214369,13.3703/Korgen/@65.826227,13.1413794,7.97z/data=!4m10!4m9!1m0!1m5!1m1!1s0x4675b5ebfd18cd51:0x9c6414c1f1bf6d91!2m2!1d13.81531!2d66.0771317!3e0!5i1

Sorry for being so late...

Thanks for all your advice. Norway is an absolutely fabulous place to visit although very expensive. The X-Country ran like a dream - we strapped a 5 litre can to the pannier rack and only needed to use it once. We filled up every 100 - 120 miles and it only took 6 or 7 litres. If anyone is wondering whether to go to Norway or not it's absolutely worth it. The only thing we would do differently is to ship the bikes to and from Oslo rather than riding back through Denmark, Germany, Holland etc. The more time spent in Norway the better :thumb

Thanks for all your advice. Norway is an absolutely fabulous place to visit although very expensive. The X-Country ran like a dream - we strapped a 5 litre can to the pannier rack and only needed to use it once. We filled up every 100 - 120 miles and it only took 6 or 7 litres. If anyone is wondering whether to go to Norway or not it's absolutely worth it. The only thing we would do differently is to ship the bikes to and from Oslo rather than riding back through Denmark, Germany, Holland etc. The more time spent in Norway the better :thumb

Glad to hear it all worked out for you, and that the bloke on the X-Country also coped. :thumb
Must have been extremely frustrating to discover almost at the last minute that the bike (1200 Rally) could not make.

Will there be a report in the Trip report section? :bounce1

I’m heading back to Lofoten Islands two weeks on Thursday and this time it will be on my Harley.

I love it up there! :thumb2

I’m heading back to Lofoten Islands two weeks on Thursday and this time it will be on my Harley.

I love it up there! :thumb2

It is great up there - we're up there first week in September, then working back down the west coast to Bergen. Have a great trip. :beerjug:

The weather may still be nice up there, but may vary grossly from one day to the next one.

As for trying to get in touch with camping sites and such facilities on the phone, keep in mind that the peak season is over. This means that the schoolkids that where hired to answer the phone fulltime are back in school, so there might be need for some patience. Don't be afraid to try different phone numbers if such exists, there is a 99% chance of people that answer speak english. Also keep in mind that phone numbers with 8 digits is a cabled phone, while 9 digits phones are mobile phones. If you have a choice, go for the 9 digit number.

And last but not least. If in the Lofoten area, do your selves a favor, treat your self to a Whale beef.

Enjoy your vacation :thumb

The weather may still be nice up there, but may vary grossly from one day to the next one.

As for trying to get in touch with camping sites and such facilities on the phone, keep in mind that the peak season is over. This means that the schoolkids that where hired to answer the phone fulltime are back in school, so there might be need for some patience. Don't be afraid to try different phone numbers if such exists, there is a 99% chance of people that answer speak english. Also keep in mind that phone numbers with 8 digits is a cabled phone, while 9 digits phones are mobile phones. If you have a choice, go for the 9 digit number.

And last but not least. If in the Lofoten area, do your selves a favor, treat your self to a Whale beef.

Enjoy your vacation :thumb

Thanks....we rode up to Nordkapp in September a couple of years ago, and the weather was great - in fact it got worse further south we rode.

We've booked our hytte, and had the bookings confirmed.

I'll give the whale beef a miss, thanks anyway.

Glad to hear it all worked out for you, and that the bloke on the X-Country also coped. :thumb
Must have been extremely frustrating to discover almost at the last minute that the bike (1200 Rally) could not make.

Will there be a report in the Trip report section? :bounce1

I'll get some photos together from the mates I went with and try and put something together! The 1200 Rallye is having a new engine fitted due to the crankshaft main bearings failing - not what you'd expect from a 2 year old bike with less than 4000 miles on the clock :forry

Sunday afternoons can be a bit fraught when it comes to booking into a hytte so it’s worth starting to look for somewhere before 4pm if you prefer the smaller sites because strangely enough the owners sometimes like to have a bit of time at home if it’s quiet :D

It is great up there - we're up there first week in September, then working back down the west coast to Bergen. Have a great trip. :beerjug:

Thanks and you too. :thumb2

I’m going up via Sweden before a left turn for Lofoten depending on the weather I may venture further north as there are some great roads on the North Coast (passed Nordkapp) and towards the Russian border.

Will come home via the West Coast.

Thanks and you too. :thumb2

I’m going up via Sweden before a left turn for Lofoten depending on the weather I may venture further north as there are some great roads on the North Coast (passed Nordkapp) and towards the Russian border.

Will come home via the West Coast.

We are also going up via Sweden and turning left towards Lofoten. This is our basic route:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1dJDrKdklNyq8diR39kn9J9s8OxK8aKB3&usp=sharing

Weather looks good going up - hope it keeps going! :thumb2

Looking good. :thumb2

September should be good hopefully with better and more settled weather as things cool down a bit and less tourists and traffic. :)

Back
Top Bottom