Tom Tom Rider supplied by Honda

paul13

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi

After using a Garmin unit for almost a decade. I have purchased a Honda Crossrunner and it comes with a Tom Tom rider. I have no idea what version.

Could I still plot routes on Basecamp and transfer to the Tom Tom unit via I guess there mapping?

Any help in a basic guide would be really appreciated

Paul

You can probably create a route in BaseCamp / Mapsource and transfer it as a .gpx file to your TomTom. Try it, it won’t break. If it works, great.

However, I am not a big fan of using one company’s software to create a route for use in another company’s device, not least as we often see problems when people do as the maps differ. Best to use TomTom’s own (I guess it’s free) or something like MyRoute app, which people swear by.

By coincidence I'm about to try the combination of BaseCamp and a TomTom built into my Hyundai. I'll post the results in the morning.

Inconclusive results so far but I have managed to load POIs created in BaseCamp to the Hyundai's TomTom. The owner's handbook gives a very approximate description of the process. Importing routes has, so far, been impossible. Whether that's because the device I'm playing with doesn't support it or because the metadata in a BaseCamp-created route is gibberish to a TomTom is yet to be seen. My findings so far tend to reinforce wapping's reservations about mixing technology from different (in this case competing) manufacturers.

A friend mentioned I may need to convert routes into ITN format to import into Tom Tom units. Is ITN format available from Basecamp?

Bike was delivered today. I have a Tom Tom 400. I cannot see if I can import a route?

Or where I can plot a route, where you drop markers. Like a Basecamp platform for Garmin. Rather than specific towns.

Are all Tom Tom rider mounts the same. Just thinking could I update the unit if it cannot do what I want it to.

Bike was delivered today. I have a Tom Tom 400. I cannot see if I can import a route?

Or where I can plot a route, where you drop markers. Like a Basecamp platform for Garmin. Rather than specific towns.

Have you even tried Googling your questions?

http://uk.support.tomtom.com/app/an...sferring-track-or-routes-to-your-tomtom-rider

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/FV57NjRm7Mw" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

You are still forgetting to say, please.

Thank you. I signed up for about 4 different Tom Tom avenues last night.

All the searches I did just showed how to go to a destination. Not a full on route plotting.

Wapping, yes I did lots of searches. Turned up lots like yours, which is not what I am after.

Thank you. I signed up for about 4 different Tom Tom avenues last night.

All the searches I did just showed how to go to a destination. Not a full on route plotting.

Wapping, yes I did lots of searches. Turned up lots like yours, which is not what I am after.

What then is it you are trying to do?

Create a route on a computer and send it to your device?

Create a route on your device?

Something else?

https://support.myrouteapp.com/support/discussions/topics/12000004534

Transferring track or routes to your TomTom Rider

Click here to see which products/categories this applies to:

Products
• Navigation devices
• Motorcycle
• TomTom Rider 400
• TomTom Rider 40
• TomTom Rider 410
• TomTom Rider 42
• TomTom Rider 420
• TomTom Rider 450
• TomTom Rider 500/550

Mac OS X

TomTom Rider uses the USB Media Transfer Profile (MTP) for transferring routes. On a Mac you need to install a program that supports USB MTP, such as Android™ File Transfer.

Once the program is installed, connect your Rider 40/400 to your Mac and select Import routes. This switches the device to MTP mode. Route files such as GPX and ITN can then be copied to the internal memory of your device or a memory card using the MTP program.

Windows XP

If you are using Windows XP you may need to install the Media Transfer Protocol Porting Kit in order to transfer routes to your device.

Newer versions of Windows

For Windows Vista, 7, 8 and 10 there is no need to install additional software in order to transfer routes. When your device is connected to the computer, you can find it listed as a removable drive in Computer. You can then manually copy routes to the device or import them using Tyre.

Watch the Videos

Image Importing routes for your RIDER from your computer using USB

https://youtu.be/BA3kcG45i3I - Found for you

Image Exporting tracks from your Rider using Bluetooth™

Image Importing tracks and routes to your RIDER using Bluetooth™

Image Exporting and importing routes for your RIDER using a memory card

Is this answer helpful?

And myriads besides....

Importing GPX Files on the RIDER 400 — TomTom Community

https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/1021871/importing-gpx-files-on-the-rider-400

I actually bought a new Rider 400 so I could use the GPX files... but with the TomTom Rider 400, I really don't see any advantages.. especially if you can't change it. 5. I use a program called MyRoute which allows me to create routes on my handy and then upload them to the TomTom via a MyDrive.

Cant import int or gpx route on to Tom-tom 400 : Support

https://support.myrouteapp.com/support/discussions/topics/12000004534

Hello I have used previously the TYRE software and managed to create routes and upload to my TomTom rider 400 successfully. I have now upgraded to the Myroute app and paid for lifetime membership. I can create a route successfully but, it will not allow my to export from my Mac to the TomTom device as safari will not recognise any support ...

My route gpx tracks rider 400 — TomTom Community

https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/1039561/my-route-gpx-tracks-rider-400

My grumble is with tom tom I think. Don’t see the point of a track if the software is going to interfere and change the route. Might as well just put the postcode in and use normal search Don’t see the point of a track if the software is going to interfere and change the route.

Transferring track or routes to your TomTom Rider

uk.support.tomtom.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/20564/~/transferring-track-or-routes-to...

Once the program is installed, connect your Rider 40/400 to your Mac and select Import routes. This switches the device to MTP mode. Route files such as GPX and ITN can then be copied to the internal memory of your device or a memory card using the MTP program.

Importing routes and tracks - TomTom

download.tomtom.com/open/manuals/rider_400_40/html/en-gb/Importingroutesandtracks.htm

You can edit a route by, for example, adding stops or moving the starting point. Routes can be imported but cannot currently be exported from your device. Routes can be imported but cannot currently be exported from your device.

How do I transfer tracks and routes to my TomTom Rider device?

us.support.tomtom.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/20597/~/how-do-i-transfer-tracks-and...

Once the program is installed, connect your Rider 40/400 to your Mac® and select Import routes. This switches the device to MTP mode. Route files such as GPX and ITN can then be copied to the internal memory of your device or a memory card using the MTP program.

Creating your route with multiple stops - TomTom

uk.support.tomtom.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3604/~/creating-your-route-with-multiple...

This FAQ contains information that may not be applicable to your device. More information. Depending on your type of navigation device you can either plan a route with several stops or you can …

Transferring items from MyDrive to your navigation device

uk.support.tomtom.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/19639

Note: For GO 40, GO 50, GO 51, GO 60, GO 61, GO 400, GO 500, GO 600, GO 510, GO 610, Rider 410, Rider 400, Rider 40 - to transfer MyDrive items to your navigation device, connect your device to the internet via your smartphone, or to your computer using a USB cable.

Importing a track GPX file - TomTom

download.tomtom.com/open/manuals/new_GO/html/en-gb/ImportingatrackGPX...

Importing a track GPX file Note : Your GO needs at least 400 MB free space before it can import .OV2 and .GPX files. If you see the message You need more space , make space available by deleting unwanted .OV2 or .GPX files using MyDrive, or delete device content using MyDrive Connect.

FAQ - What is MyDrive and what can I do with it? — TomTom ...

https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/990620/faq-what-is-mydrive-and-what-can-i...

What I cannot do is having created a route on the unit itself and saved it to My Routes I cannot then export it to My Drive so that it can be restored if I have to do a full reset which would result in me losing the saved unit generated and saved Tracks.

Wow.

That was an extensive list.

I used the app link to register yet another Tom Tom activity. I managed to plot a route and transfer it to the Tom Tom. What confused me again was it then asked did I want winding roads or fastest route.

Hopefully going out Monday day to try following a fabulous loop in Normandy.

Thank you Wapping. I will have another look at the links later.

TomTom’s route planning app shits all over Basecamp, so try using that. It’s very easy to use, and you can plan routes on your iPad/ iPhone, which will then appear in your account on your TomTom device when you switch it on.

Garmin need to up their game, in this regard. :rob

Wow.

That was an extensive list.

I used the app link to register yet another Tom Tom activity. I managed to plot a route and transfer it to the Tom Tom. What confused me again was it then asked did I want winding roads or fastest route.

Hopefully going out Monday day to try following a fabulous loop in Normandy.

Thank you Wapping. I will have another look at the links later.

Assuming that the TomTom route creation software works in a similar way to Garmin’s own, I guess you have several options available to you:

1. Ask the software / device to give you a route from A (your start point) to B, to C, to D (your end point) which it will according to certain pre-set conditions. For example:

a. Fastest time, not necessarily the shortest distance between the four points

b. Most direct, which will be the shortest distance between the four points but not necessarily the quickest. Nor indeed perhaps the roads that you had in mind at all

c. Twisty or windy roads; roads which it imagines a motorcyclist might want to take. Not necessarily the fastest, nor the most direct

2. That probably accounts for the three most common choices. I guess (as I do not own a TomTom) that there may then be options where you can ask the software to exclude or favour some roads over others. For example, exclude motorways or toll roads or narrow roads or roads with seasonal closures. In short, you fine tune the software’s algorithms to suit your preferences.

3. There will then probably be a basis whereby you force the route creation software to take only the roads you, not the computer, chose to take. If TomTom works like Garmin, you either click on each road in sequence (fine tuning as necessary) or ask it for A to D and then drag or rubber band the offered up route, so that it follows exactly the roads you want to take. Using this method it’s sometimes easier if you turn all your preference settings off. You don’t need them on, as you are dictating your preferences to the software by choosing the roads you want to take. In that sense, it’s no different to highlighting the roads on a paper map.

If, after 10 years, you are familiar with Garmin devices and software (BaseCamp and Mapsource) TomTom’s can’t be much different, surely?

See how you get on on Monday.

PS Many bods on this site swear by MyRoute app for all their route creation needs, whether TomTom or Garmin. Sometimes this is down to nothing more than the app using Google maps, which they are familiar with. Sometimes it’s down to the ease of transfer of the route between the computer and their device. Sometimes it’s down to them wanting to run the route on their phone. Sometimes it’s just down to nothing more than they have read (or their mate’s mate has told them) that Garmin / TomTom’s software “Is well shite, mate”. Sometimes it’s something else, too.

Try it out. Experiment. Find what works for you. It’s free and you really can’t break it.

If nothing else, ask Google. Rest assured you will not be the first person to wonder (in English) how to do something. Google has the ability to find things in (very often) just three words. I found all the ‘extensive list’ by typing: TomTom create and export route. OK that was five words but I guess you’ll get the idea; dropping the ‘and’ will bring it down to four. I made it five as you had two questions, how to create a route and how to get it onto your device. So I asked Google both questions at once, five words instead of six. Then flick between ‘All’ and ‘Video’ in the tabs until you find what you want to do. As I say, you can’t break it. Find something you like or does the job? Great. Maybe save it to save yourself time next time. It’s all free.

Thank you for the superb replies. My frustration is I have been a Garmin user for over 10 years. Firstly with a Zumo 550

and now a Montana. The Tom Tom is just different.

......My frustration is I have been a Garmin user for over 10 years.....The Tom Tom is just different.

You have only had it a couple of days.

Slow down.

Look at some of the better videos and help pages. You’ll get the hang of it.

See how you get on on Monday with the route you have created.

You have only had it a couple of days.

Slow down.

Look at some of the better videos and help pages. You’ll get the hang of it.

See how you get on on Monday with the route you have created.

Hopefully later I will connect the CTek trickle charge. The Cardo. Bluetooth is charging at the moment.

Printed my documents. Motorbike French insured. Speedo changed to kph, lowered the seat.

Hopefully the route pans out.

Has anyone paid for the gold Tom Tom app membership? Is it worth the £4.00 a month?

Thanks for the help and support

Just get the thing to work reliably, as a navigation device. Then ponder about gold this and gold that. At the moment you ain’t at bronze.

Just get the thing to work reliably, as a navigation device. Then ponder about gold this and gold that. At the moment you ain’t at bronze.

I totally agree, it was only a question because in the blurb it explains that route plotting is made easier!

Back
Top Bottom