BMW quality control: Corrosion – it’s your fault!

Mulcher

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
An unfortunate fellow posted this on Facebook recently about his corrosion woes:
“…Noticed corrosion on some nuts, bolts and brake lines on my Feb 2019 r1250 gs adventure with [only] 700 miles on the clock. Sent pictures to dealer who sent off to bmw via the PuMA process. Got a response back saying it must be due to me using wrong cleaning products therefore not covered, case closed, no recourse! I have not used any products, just rinsed off with hose. Really shocked by bmw response re a 6 month old bike. Going back to dealer, coopers motorrad in tonbridge, see if they can raise case again.”​

I saw the pictures, the corrosion was shocking. Equally shocking to me was the attitude of BMW. I’m making no judgement on the cause of the corrosion but IF it was shoddy plating on the parts and the same thing happens to my new bike, then BMW have given themselves a free get-out-of-jail card – any paint peeling/bubbling, rust or corrosion anywhere on the bike and it’s automatically your fault because “you’ve used the wrong cleaning products”! WTF are the “right” ones and how the hell do they know what he used?

Talk about sharp practice – I’d expect that kind of shit from some dodgy back-street used car dealer but BMW?… Really?… On an £18K bike that’s barely been round the block?

I agree. But and there is always a but, is every 1250 GS suffering from corrosion, my 1250RT has now covered 3000 miles, I don't have any corrosion at all and I have just used normal car shampoo from Halfords to clean it. So that gives BMW the get out of jail free card as they seemingly don't have loads of claims. I would still feel hard done by if it was me. Is there any recourse through consumer law on quality of a product?

I made a point of buying my cleaning products from the dealer, who kindly provided me with an invoice detailing my purchases. I intend to do the same when I collect the next bike.

I made a point of buying my cleaning products from the dealer, who kindly provided me with an invoice detailing my purchases. I intend to do the same when I collect the next bike.

I'll come down to yours to clean my bike then :)

I agree. But and there is always a but, is every 1250 GS suffering from corrosion, my 1250RT has now covered 3000 miles, I don't have any corrosion at all and I have just used normal car shampoo from Halfords to clean it. So that gives BMW the get out of jail free card as they seemingly don't have loads of claims. I would still feel hard done by if it was me. Is there any recourse through consumer law on quality of a product?

Have to agree. I have had many BMW's at not one has corroded, let alone nuts, bolts or brake lines. I do look after my machines, for instance, will not put it away wet to fester in the garage. I also use either car or motorcycle specific washing products. I have seen some shocking bikes in dealers with substantial corrosion with very low miles and my first thought is - how did the owner let it get that bad :rob

I have had corrosion issues with bmws. All sorted with no problems. Resorting to facesche is not going to help the case. If they have only assessed the issue by photo that is not enough. Remember it’s actually the dealer who’s liable to cover this. JJH

Whenever I think of returning to BMW, I read stuff like this. :blast

Then spend my money elsewhere.;)

149,000 miles on my F800Gs, ten winters use .... no corrosion issues whatsoever :D

No garage, no shed ... sleeps outside :D

:trippy

:beerjug:

Whenever I think of returning to BMW, I read stuff like this. :blast

Then spend my money elsewhere.;)

Disgusting, isn’t it !

My first ever new BMW ( a GSA 1200 in 2006) was uncrated with rust on the pannier frames . I was amazed at the fact that they would send it in that condition . And that was back when BMW still had a modicum of build quality unlike the shite they churn out now to the PCP/Warranty brigade .

Disgusting, isn’t it !

My first ever new BMW ( a GSA 1200 in 2006) was uncrated with rust on the pannier frames . I was amazed at the fact that they would send it in that condition . And that was back when BMW still had a modicum of build quality unlike the shite they churn out now to the PCP/Warranty brigade .

Here we go, same old shite from Mr Arse, nothing changes

I was talking to a chap on Wednesday who had a 17my GSA with rust bubbling under the paint on the both front and rear subframes. The bike had done 12000 miles and he wasn't in the slightest bit bothered :rolleyes:

If it had been mine. I'd have shoved it sideways up BMW's shitter :augie

I was talking to a chap on Wednesday who had a 17my GSA with rust bubbling under the paint on the both front and rear subframes. The bike had done 12000 miles and he wasn't in the slightest bit bothered :rolleyes:

It’s a disgrace. There’s no other word.

Mine is covered in rust on both subframes.
Not asked for it to be sorted however if I decide to hang on to it after October it’ll be stripped and done.
Although I doubt I will keep it and may not stay on another bmw with the way they’ve changed over the last theee years

I know we shouldn’t have to etc etc however I’ve found that a good proper application of acf 50 really does work - I’ve got all the gear (and as usual no idea :) and I’m happy to treat anyone’s bike but I would have to make a charge for it as the stuff alone isn’t cheap.

Oh, I also have to be sober enough to safely operate a spray gun :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom