BMW quality control: Corrosion – it’s your fault!

I know we shouldn’t have to etc etc however I’ve found that a good proper application of acf 50 really does work

I've been using it during the winters on my bikes.

Sprayed on with a hairdressers spray bottle with the acf diluted 50% with brake cleaner - goes on with a very fine mist and gets everywhere. For sure stopped the pitting that had started on my 63 plate LC fork stantions.

It’s a disgrace. There’s no other word.

Harley are no different , chunks of paint lifting from the frame. Chap was told not to ride in the rain:D
Owner is a SAAB mechanic and restores classic SAABs.

Sprayed on with a hairdressers spray bottle with the acf diluted 50% with brake cleaner - goes on with a very fine mist and gets everywhere. For sure stopped the pitting that had started on my 63 plate LC fork stantions.

50% brake cleaner? What a really good idea

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Very interesting idea, is that just to thin it out, and make sure it gets everywhere, and stupid question what brake cleaner please. :thumb2:bow

Very interesting idea, is that just to thin it out, and make sure it gets everywhere, and stupid question what brake cleaner please. :thumb2:bow

Brake cleaner is brake cleaner. You can buy a gallon of it for around £15 IIRC, i have a gallon in the mancave but never thought of diluting ACF with it. Surely that would reduce the effectivness of it. :nenau

50% brake cleaner? What a really good idea

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I don't get it. I thought ACF50 was supposed to "creep" and get into tiny spaces, so I'm guessing it doesn't need thinning. Or does the 50% brake cleaner do something else? Help the ACF50 to evaporate quickly? I clearly have missed something and would be delighted to be enlightened. Cheers in anticipation :D

I agree. But and there is always a but, is every 1250 GS suffering from corrosion, my 1250RT has now covered 3000 miles, I don't have any corrosion at all and I have just used normal car shampoo from Halfords to clean it. So that gives BMW the get out of jail free card as they seemingly don't have loads of claims. I would still feel hard done by if it was me. Is there any recourse through consumer law on quality of a product?
It doesn't really give BMW a get out of jail free card, does it? You would expect paint/corrosion failures to be in the minority, surely. I think the main point is that BMW aren't even looking at the problem on the guy's bike, instead just dismissing it out of hand. It smacks of big corporate company not giving a shit about the little guy because they know he'd have to spend a fortune to take it further - expert report, court fees, etc.

It doesn't really give BMW a get out of jail free card, does it? You would expect paint/corrosion failures to be in the minority, surely. I think the main point is that BMW aren't even looking at the problem on the guy's bike, instead just dismissing it out of hand. It smacks of big corporate company not giving a shit about the little guy because they know he'd have to spend a fortune to take it further - expert report, court fees, etc.

BMW replaced loads of swing arms and engines due to corrosion previously, so think they deal with it on a case by case basis. Like I said, every bike doesn't suffer, so what is happening different to the ones that do, obviously don't have the answer. If it was my bike I would be really upset if they didn't stand by the product.

to me ,not enough folk moan,that is why they get away with it.
post on other sites until bmw etc notice.
also there are enough guys who actually work for bmw motorad who are on this site,do they give any feedback to there employer ??

to me ,not enough folk moan,that is why they get away with it.
post on other sites until bmw etc notice.
also there are enough guys who actually work for bmw motorad who are on this site,do they give any feedback to there employer ??

The issue is, we all hear about individuals with corrosion issues, but what is the percentage vs how many bikes sold. I would bet its not enough for BMW to worry too much. I had a 2014 did over 20k miles on it in two years in all weathers (was used and I bought in 2016), not a spot of corrosion or any paint issues. Didn't do anything special to it and only ACF50 it about a month before I traded it in April this year. So not all bikes suffer. So what is different between one bike and the other.

I don't get it. I thought ACF50 was supposed to "creep" and get into tiny spaces, so I'm guessing it doesn't need thinning. Or does the 50% brake cleaner do something else? Help the ACF50 to evaporate quickly? I clearly have missed something and would be delighted to be enlightened. Cheers in anticipation :D

Just seen the replies.

As I don't have a compressor I reasoned if it was thinner it would atomise better with the equipment I have - and it does. Whether it is affected adversely with the brake cleaner I have no idea, I just know that I get a good coverage without runs and it stopped the pitting.

As Del says it's cheap, but it also has many uses I use Comma as it was the cheapest I could find at the time.

Bahnstormers washed their hands of mine.
"After talking to a couple people here and assessing the photos myself, the decision is that the corrosion is a maintenance related issue.

The reason this is the case is because it’s not just covering one spot on the bike, the whole bike is covered with rust/corrosion which leads to believe it’s not a warranty issue but a maintenance/cleaning/storage issue."

Main frame, subframe, cylinder heads.
Nothing on forks, suspension, wheels, bars or anywhere else.
Bike kept in a dry garage.
Asked if I ensured I dried the bike off every time I put it away....
Tried to say because I live "near the solent it was the storage.....
Apparently I failed to maintain it yet they didn't do an end of warranty inspection when they did the 12k service and it was just as bad.
Cost £2750 on final value - Bahnstormers/BMW have had the paperwork regarding costs incurred and so far have failed to respond in the required time so looks like they'll be coughing up. Well Bahnstormers will seeing as BMW asked why they hadn't raised a PUMA case over a year ago... when they failed to do the end of warra... :D

Corrosion between my engine block and cylinders. Bought in December 2019 as a March Reg 19 plate 1250 GS. Originally a BMW bike and I bought it from Cooper BMW. I have had it 3 months and ridden it 4 times (winter and then lock down). Cleaning it the other day and noticed the white spot corrosion on the silver engine paint. BMW Sunderland are closed completely and BMW HQ say it is to take up with the dealer. Am continuing to complain. Poor quality engine paint/finish and had same on my 2014 RT and they replaced the engine. Would have thought they had sorted the problem and don’t want the same hassle with this bike

Back
Top Bottom