SENA Mesh

mw3230

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I've read several threads concerning the SENA 30k and the the MESH although none on the +Mesh Adaptor.

Can anyone who has used the Mesh system give a definitive assessment of the advantages, and also can they say if Mesh communications are exclusively for Mesh enabled equipment , or can riders with non-Mesh kit still join in the communications

I've read several threads concerning the SENA 30k and the the MESH although none on the +Mesh Adaptor.

Can anyone who has used the Mesh system give a definitive assessment of the advantages, and also can they say if Mesh communications are exclusively for Mesh enabled equipment , or can riders with non-Mesh kit still join in the communications

My research into this is based on looking at replacing my senna 20 when it gives up the ghost which won't be long thanks to in built obsolescence

All Senna will work together but if they are not mesh enabled they wont be on mesh so looking at the last bit of your question yes

systems on the mesh will work well with other mesh devices and it seems that there is capability of having lots more headsets paired through mesh than none mesh

I have noticed with the 20 that the more you link together in the chain the worse the quality of coms is and the mesh system should, from what i see eliminate this problem and the having to link in a chain process

Any way let me know how you get on .....

Further to this old thread ....

I haven't progressed my research into MESH and would still like to hear of any other's experience. I'm currently proposing to my riding pals that we consider buying the SENA +Mesh adaptor. At a cost of around £110 it seems to allow those with older bluetooth comms units to 'get on the Mesh bandwagon' at not too great an expense

I'd love to hear any reviews of the adaptor

I have the 30k and bought it for a Scottish trip with a mate. Once a Mesh group is created, and you're invited to join, there is no more repeating this process each day, (as long as the Mesh group creator is there), it just teams up and away you go. Having used it also for ordinary bluetooth connectivity, there is a noticable drop in quality when not Mesh connected, but it's better than nothing.

I was thinking of getting a Sena Mesh adapter to connect to a Cardo Packtalk, does anyone know if this works? I've heard mixed reviews.

Up till 1 month ago, my set-up for work was:

1 x Sena 10C BT primary comms / camera.
1 x Sena SMH-5 BT back-up comms.
2 x Sena SR-10 BT / PMR446 radio converters.
Kenwood PMR446 radios.

10C, not being waterproof, crapped out after 2 years of all-weather use. Sena refused to repair even though I'd have paid for repair. BT comm worked great, camera worked great. Till the unit failed.

SMH-5 still works fine now, but will only pair with another Sena unit. I have no confidence that a) it won't fail, and b) Sena will look after me when it does.

One SR-10 failed after 2 years of all-weather use. Haven't bothered contacting Sena. The other still works fine.

We got Cardo Pactalk Bolds to replace the Sena/Kenwood gear. Proper waterproof. Very good audio quality (JBL speakers), and pretty easy to use. Pairs instantly to each other by DMC once powered on. Paired easily with my SMH-5. Haven't yet managed to pair with the Sena SR-10, nor another instructor's Interphone BT unit. For the Mournes Invasion at the end of this month, me & my mate Adam and our two passengers will all be hooked up by 2 x Packtalk Bolds, 1 x Sena 10C, and 1 x SMH-5. I expect this all to work fine, with the Cardos doing all the behind-the-scenes work of connection and staying connected.

Sena gear, not being waterproof, is IMO not fit for use on motorbikes, regardless of whether its mesh function works well or not.

Good luck with whatever choice you make.

Up till 1 month ago, my set-up for work was:

1 x Sena 10C BT primary comms / camera.
1 x Sena SMH-5 BT back-up comms.
2 x Sena SR-10 BT / PMR446 radio converters.
Kenwood PMR446 radios.

10C, not being waterproof, crapped out after 2 years of all-weather use. Sena refused to repair even though I'd have paid for repair. BT comm worked great, camera worked great. Till the unit failed.

SMH-5 still works fine now, but will only pair with another Sena unit. I have no confidence that a) it won't fail, and b) Sena will look after me when it does.

One SR-10 failed after 2 years of all-weather use. Haven't bothered contacting Sena. The other still works fine.

We got Cardo Pactalk Bolds to replace the Sena/Kenwood gear. Proper waterproof. Very good audio quality (JBL speakers), and pretty easy to use. Pairs instantly to each other by DMC once powered on. Paired easily with my SMH-5. Haven't yet managed to pair with the Sena SR-10, nor another instructor's Interphone BT unit. For the Mournes Invasion at the end of this month, me & my mate Adam and our two passengers will all be hooked up by 2 x Packtalk Bolds, 1 x Sena 10C, and 1 x SMH-5. I expect this all to work fine, with the Cardos doing all the behind-the-scenes work of connection and staying connected.

Sena gear, not being waterproof, is IMO not fit for use on motorbikes, regardless of whether its mesh function works well or not.

Good luck with whatever choice you make.

Interesting review, thanks for your comments. In my own experience of using SENA for a number of years (SMH10 and 20 Evo) it has proved to be reliable and I've not experienced any failure due to water ingress although as a mainly dry weather leisure user I perhaps wouldn't. As most of my riding pals also use SENA I'm reluctant to move to a different brand of kit

I bought a Neotec 2 and Sena SRL which works really well with my Sena SR10 and Kenwood radio, I'm hoping as it's built into the lid there is less chance of water ingress than if it was stuck on the outside of the lid.

Sent from my ELE-L29 using Tapatalk

I use Sena mesh, Works brilliantly. Sena, Galaxy Note 9 and TFT. Never had a water issue with any of my Sena's, And Ive ridden through many wet days.

Can I resurrect this old thread with an update - I had planned to buy the SENA +Mesh device and try to persuade my riding pals to do the same - it didn't happen but one of two have now replaced their older Sena sets with a 30 or 50 model and have the Mesh capability. Consequently the question of the +Mesh adaptor has re-arisen

Anyone any further experience of MESH please?

I lead quite a lot of big group rides, my pal usually tail ends for me, we both have Sena SRL's and a +Mesh adapter, in our group of 10 to 16 riders we lose each other almost after setting off, but it reconnects easily without prompting whenever we have line of sight or stopping at traffic lights/roadworks etc, no one else in any of the group rides has Mesh.

My question - if I acquired a couple of +mesh adapters and put them on bikes in the group (who will be moving around as we use the drop-off system) without connecting to anyone else's comms, would it improve the connection between me leading at the front and my mate back marking?

Any help appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Richard

I lead quite a lot of big group rides, my pal usually tail ends for me, we both have Sena SRL's and a +Mesh adapter, in our group of 10 to 16 riders we lose each other almost after setting off, but it reconnects easily without prompting whenever we have line of sight or stopping at traffic lights/roadworks etc, no one else in any of the group rides has Mesh.

My question - if I acquired a couple of +mesh adapters and put them on bikes in the group (who will be moving around as we use the drop-off system) without connecting to anyone else's comms, would it improve the connection between me leading at the front and my mate back marking?

Any help appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Richard

The mesh thing works and will give greater distance as the group spreads out as long as someone is in range of another as a chain i think

I have found that the clarity of signal is better on mesh than bluetooth and the constant re pair rather than having to press buttons and the like everytime someone drops out of range although as a down side battery life is not as good on mesh as it is on Bluetooth

My Senna 50 s is currently back with sena under warranty as battery life is less than an hour

The mesh thing works and will give greater distance as the group spreads out as long as someone is in range of another as a chain i think

I have found that the clarity of signal is better on mesh than bluetooth and the constant re pair rather than having to press buttons and the like everytime someone drops out of range although as a down side battery life is not as good on mesh as it is on Bluetooth

My Senna 50 s is currently back with sena under warranty as battery life is less than an hour

Thanks so now I have a solution - anyone got any +Mesh Adapters they'd like to sell?

I am interested in this. I have an Interphone Tour that I use for me and a pillion. Am touring Scotland in August in a group with 5 others, three of whom have Sena systems. Will a mesh 2.0 adaptor work to connect me to them or am I looking at buying a new unit? Don't really want to do that if I can help it as the JBL speakers are good. Any advice most welcome. Have searched and researched and cannot get a complete answer. Ta.

Has anyone had Interphone and Sena? Do they have the same Jack connector to go to the headphones?

I have connected Interphone and Sena successfully, but I doubt that the Interphone would be able to use the +Mesh system - so I'm guessing that you would just be able to connect to one of the Sena users only as opposed to the whole group if you had a Sena system with Mesh

I have connected Interphone and Sena successfully, but I doubt that the Interphone would be able to use the +Mesh system - so I'm guessing that you would just be able to connect to one of the Sena users only as opposed to the whole group if you had a Sena system with Mesh

I think I might go with an upgrade to the Interphone unit. They new one - https://www.interphone.com/en-gb/Interphone/Intercoms/U-COM-16/p/INTERPHOUCOM16 - connects to all Sena products through Mesh 2.0 and I won't have to change the speakers and mic etc.

Back
Top Bottom