Morocco 1st visit advice

gebrauchtwagen83

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
So with my first Morocco visit approaching on October 7th I thought I’d take this opportunity to gather any advice /tips for a Morocco novice.
So there are 2 of us on pretty big bikes, myself 1290 sas and my mate on is 1190 adv R. We have about 7 days in country not including the few days there and a few days back.
Is there anything we need to be mindful of in terms of safety or legalities?
So we plan to ride quite a few trails mainly from the chris Scott book, what sort of complexity are these? I don’t want go in too hardcore because I’ve only just got my 1290 and don’t want to trash it. I’m not an off road novice but haven’t much experience in this bike. My mate has competed in a few rallies so is significantly better than me.
Any help regarding recommended routes / wild camping (or not) would be appreciated
Many thanks
Dan

The Morroccan national sport is Standing, and they do it anywhere; especially on the road at night :blast No one has ever heard of hi-viz, they prefer drab brown, dark green floor length hoodies so they are practically invisible until you hit one. Top tip: don't ride at night outside cities/towns or you will meet an Olympic class Stander.

You will get offered hashish, by everyone, including youngsters; if you buy it you will get stopped by the rozzers; actually, you'll get stopped anyway as you're a cash-cow. Carry a 'fiche' which is a bit of paper with all the details from your passport, a U.K. Address and your bike reg. If you don't then expect to wait an hour for the semi literate twat to write down all the above details. You might need up to 10 fiche's a day if you go South of Marrakesh.

Do not ever, for any reason, let go of your passport, especially into the hands of officialdom; they can look but not touch. If you let go it will cost you.

Wild camping outside urban areas is fine, but campsites are common, cheap and patrolled. If it looks like someone's garden or vaguely cultivated move on as there's plenty of room. Camp at least an hour before sunset otherwise the Standers will get you.

Take plenty of wet-wipes and alcohol gel for your hands.

Do not speak French, they all do but ignorance is bliss when being asked for a bribe, or 'cadeaux' which means gift, or bribe.

Ride on the Right, no fucker else will 'cos they're avoiding Standers but at least you'll be legal.

If, when riding through a town or village you see a wet patch, it's sewage; try not to ride through it.

All eggs are boiled, it doesn't matter that the vendor assures you it's fresh from a chickens arse that very morning, it'll be boiled.

Goat is available at all petrol stations; if you buy it then cook it well. Fire is your friend but firewood is limited so do go easy.

Moroccans will fix anything, it might not be pretty but it'll get you moving; their best welders are aged 10 and squint a lot.

I feckin loved the place, it made me smile every day.

Really appreciate all the info. I’ll make sure I’ve got some tablets for the brad Pitts

you will get the shits , try not to touch them or there money. they any friendly and will offer you mint tea, but please look at the glass first and think when was that washed....Its like licking a hundred strangers.... have a look on adventure bike rider in the travel section for wibo morocco tour. its a great place to go but beware of the hygiene

you will get the shits , try not to touch them or there money. they any friendly and will offer you mint tea, but please look at the glass first and think when was that washed....Its like licking a hundred strangers.... have a look on adventure bike rider in the travel section for wibo morocco tour. its a great place to go but beware of the hygiene

Beware of food cooked in tangines. It can be slow cooked, and not hot enought to kill the buts that do not affect the locals , but give westerners the turboshits.
16 out of 21 of us were affected on our last trip.
You can take a ferry into La Cueta or Tangier. Tangier is a much better option. A lot less grief.
Purchase insurance at ferry terminal in Tangier. You will be offered and my a take extremely inexpensive sim cards for phone. Take an unlocked phone with you if you decide to use one of these. Be sure to write down sim Password. It is not necessary to purchase one. Every hotel has super wifi, and whats app is your friend.
Be sure your tyres are new. Worn ones will not plug. New tyres are hard to get there.

Best bike trip I was ever on. People are lovely. Enjoy.

The best advise I can give is don't take any advise, just go and find your own adventure :)

The best advise I can give is don't take any advise, just go and find your own adventure :)

I disagree. Take my advice and talk to Tim about going to Morocco. It’s your adventure, it’s your holiday, it’s an important decision.

Go with Tim !

Don’t change your bike 2 days before you go like you normally do :D

There is only one place to stay in Algerciras the night before you cross onto the Dark Continent, The Reina Christina. A bit of old world charm and luxury before you travel on and have to spend your nights on mud hut floors LINKY

Once in Maroc if you are going near Ouarzazate then it's worth having Peter's details at Bikers Home. A lovely guy, he has rooms a work shop and has a wealth of info about Maroc. He also runs off road trips if that's your thing LINKY

It's a beautiful country, have fun :)

Andres

Morocco is a country that is rapidly changing, not only in culture but also the climate.

If you want to be a 'tourist' stay in the North. If you want to experience the 'real Morocco' head South of the Atlas.... the further South the better.

Thanks for the heads up, is wild camping an issue? Think we would like a night or two just for the adventure if circumstances allow

Thanks for the heads up, is wild camping an issue? Think we would like a night or two just for the adventure if circumstances allow

Not an issue. Although no matter how secluded you think you are they'll soon be "standers" watching your every move.

Watch the shooting stars criss cross across the black night skies.

Forgot to mention we plan to sail from Almeria to Nador. Am I right in presuming that it’s a slightly quieter entry point but nothing to be mindful of?

Depends what you call 'an issue', the ground will either be too hard or too soft for tent pegs.
As Steptoe says, no matter how remote you think you are 'standers' will appear from nowhere, but don't be put off by them.
No problems with safety though.

Back
Top Bottom