Morocco 1st visit advice

Thanks for the heads up, is wild camping an issue? Think we would like a night or two just for the adventure if circumstances allow

Did 5 nights wild camping there last month, no problem :thumb2 There will always be someone turning up no matter how far into the middle of nowhere you think you are.
Our guide took the approach to go and talk to these people, usually a shepherd or so, we had just arrived in his backyard after all. They will be looking for something, can of coke or cigarettes usually does the job. These people are poor and see Johnny Foreigner as an opportunity, and I mean that in a nice way.

We were a group of 11. 10 bikes (which became 9 after breakdown) and a jeep. One evening setting up camp a local shepherd turns up and after a while pulls out his mobile phone and makes a call.... Oi Oi says I to myself... then after 20 minutes another guy comes hobbling across. Turns out to be a brother with an infected toe and so a bit of cleanup and a bandage and a can of coke and he was sorted.

Bear in mind that travel times will be much longer than what you might expect. I’m used to covering 500km a day but in Morocco, we were lucky to cover 200km some days. We ended up completely changing our itinerary on the fly because we realised that we’d never cover the distances that we originally thought.

Don't fall off and break anything (I mean bones). Moroccan hospitals do not look very inviting and when you get back to the UK days later the doctors at your local hospital will give you shit for not getting it fixed when you did it. They get even more pissed when you go back the next day and demand they cut the cast off but that's just me.

In Morocco now and on our 6th day having landed at Nador (not nice place).
Couple of impressions:
• Don’t forget you V5 as it is hell to get in with only a copy.
• Morocco people are as friendly and helpful as you will ever find.
• Taxi drivers are you enemy and will try to kill you .
• Some oncoming vehicles will overtake right in front of you and their overtaking distance includes your braking distance so don’t speed near oncoming traffic and be wary of oncoming traffic.
• It is not uncommon to be overtaken on a bend as you are preparing to overtake the slow vehicle .... usually by a taxi!!
• Don’t drink too many glasses of orange juice ... digestive system problems.
• There are few Hotels off the tourist route and hard to find and “interesting “. Mind you the Palace Hotel in Zeida is on the way to somewhere as great value for €24 .
• Finally, this area around Zeida is as close to outback Australia as you will find. Interesting

Enjoy the wonderful hospitality

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Don’t use the term ‘in country’; you’re not in the marines and we might have to crowd fund a drone strike on your awesome steed

The Morroccan national sport is Standing, and they do it anywhere; especially on the road at night :blast No one has ever heard of hi-viz, they prefer drab brown, dark green floor length hoodies so they are practically invisible until you hit one. Top tip: don't ride at night outside cities/towns or you will meet an Olympic class Stander.

I may just have made little wee wee :jes

Thanks for the advice everyone. Just packing up the panniers now. 2 more sleeps.

Ride safe, and be sure to update us on your travels at some point. Two of us are heading to Morocco first week of March next year, so I'd be interested in any advice/recommendations.

Well not a great start, our ferry tomorrow from Portsmouth has been delayed 5 hours so we may miss our hotel booking in Spain Thursday. Such is life. All part of the adventure

Well pretty gutted to be honest. We got to portsmouth yesterday only to be told that they werent allowing any bikes on board. The ext time we could cross was Sunday and we just couldnt shuffle everything around with wives, kids and commitments so weve had to come away and go home. Brittany ferries were dreadful in their handling of the situation. Didnt even get offered a cup of tea after a long ride down then had to ride home.

Well pretty gutted to be honest. We got to portsmouth yesterday only to be told that they werent allowing any bikes on board. The ext time we could cross was Sunday and we just couldnt shuffle everything around with wives, kids and commitments so weve had to come away and go home. Brittany ferries were dreadful in their handling of the situation. Didnt even get offered a cup of tea after a long ride down then had to ride home.

Bloody disgrace that. Gutted for you.

That's terrible, why wouldn't they let you on? Were they letting cars and trucks on? You should ask for compensation.

Have a read of my RR.

It may contain something vaguely useful.

Have a great trip

M

Oh shit I just read the last bit.

V sorry to hear that, that’s piss poor of ferry operators.

Really sorry to hear that.
We are on the ferry tonight (Friday) and that has been delayed 5 hrs as well. Hopefully it will still be running, even if it is a bit late.

Yeh it was gutting to be honest. We were just told it was a technical issue with the door. They offered us an alternative route to Normandy but wasn’t really of any use as we would have added another 1600 miles to the trip, didn’t even get offered refreshments or a brew. They’ve refused any compensation and we are only entitled to a refund it seems. They really didn’t care at all

Back
Top Bottom