New bike with Navigator preparation

Ali-bear

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I'm tempted by a shiny new 1250RS. But before I take the plunge can the folks explain what I get if I splash the £200 extra for "Navigator Preparation". I get a locking cradle for the BMW Navigator that integrates with the left hand spinny-wheel, right? So the option is to buy a BMW Navigator at another £600, or get a Garmin 590/595 that may fit in the same cradle?
I'm used to a Zumo 350 and would keep using that if a) I had somewhere to bolt it to b) wiring the supply wasn't going to be a PITA like it always is c) it wasn't getting a bit long in the tooth.

Buy the bloody new bike and a secondhand BMW branded GPS device (if you want to integrate) or the Garmin equivalent (if you don’t) it is that simple. Or buy them new, shiny like your new shiny bike. That’s simple, too.

As to slapping your shonky GPS device onto your new shiny bike, that will not be hard. There are lots of threads on how to do it. Failing that, your dealer will probably do it for nothing. Haggle hard.

OK :D
There's no other real difference between the Nav-6 and the equiv Garmin, apart from spinny-wheel integration?

OK :D
There's no other real difference between the Nav-6 and the equiv Garmin, apart from spinny-wheel integration?

Nope. BMW devices integrate to the bike enabling you to have bike parameters viewed on the Nav which I found very useful. Particularly large font real speed.

Being able to zoom in and out with ease, without taking your hand off the bars while riding, is reason enough to go with the BMW Nav over the Garmin unit.

Being able to zoom in and out with ease, without taking your hand off the bars while riding, is reason enough to go with the BMW Nav over the Garmin unit.

Nutty finds it useful to zoom out, to find out why the signs are in Spanish, whilst he was sure he was being navigated to the ‘ring.

So does it also tell you when the bike is about to go wrong, and how much it will cost? Or is that another optional extra :beerjug:

So does it also tell you when the bike is about to go wrong, and how much it will cost? Or is that another optional extra :beerjug:

No, but it will tell you where the nearest BMW dealer is, so you can use your 3 year warranty with ease.

Yes, but you’ll need a 64gb card to store all the problems! :D

It’ll tell you some shite about how often you put the brakes on, split between front and rear. And when the service is due and the current output voltage of the battery. All essential, tip of the fingers stuff, as demanded by the modern biker on the move.

Or just use the BMW Phone app which has the navigation and bike parameters built in. Record your rides which can be downloaded on GPX, you can also set twisty routes etc.

So, what ya gonna do? New? Old? Pre-loved? BMW branded (for the whole ownership of a premium product at a premium price) or not?

If I do get the new RS I will have it with the integrated BMW navvy
You don't want to know how often I enter new destinations on the 350 touch screen while riding along. I'm always using it. Its worth the dosh.

Update after getting the shiny new stuff. Integration with the bike is very good for two reasons.
1) spinny wheel
2) auto-brightness adjustment. The TFT is so good, very clear and always the right brightness - somehow BMW have got that spot on. The Nav-6 brightness also adjusts automatically in sync with the TFT.

Back
Top Bottom