What Tyres on Your new 1250 GS

A41’s.
I also find them noisy.
Seem ok in the dry but I’ve little confidence in them in the wet - feel too hard with minimal feedback.
Won’t fit them again.
I’ve had Avon Trail riders on my previous 1200 GSA that were good until around 4K miles where the rear causes a rumble through the chassis when leant over. Having said that great mileage and handling from the front with a ratio of 1:2 front / rear wear rate.
Conti TA 3 next I think.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Get some Conti Road Attack 3's on it and ride like you stole it. You know it makes sense.

Get some Conti Road Attack 3's on it and ride like you stole it. You know it makes sense.

Both the TA3 and RA3 are great tyres , but bear in mind that the RA3 turns slower due to the more rounded front profile , against the steeper profile of the TA3 as this turns faster , both rears are the same profile.
So if you like a nice neutral tyre the RA3 works well , if however you like the quicker drop into twisty corners the TA3 wins.

Both the TA3 and RA3 are great tyres , but bear in mind that the RA3 turns slower due to the more rounded front profile , against the steeper profile of the TA3 as this turns faster , both rears are the same profile.
So if you like a nice neutral tyre the RA3 works well , if however you like the quicker drop into twisty corners the TA3 wins.

Aah, thanks for that insight as I was going to try the TA3 next. But if the rear is the same profile as the RA3, I’ll pass on the Contis altogether. I found the RA3 rear ultra slow because of the flat profile. Great for motorways, not so if you stay off them as I do.

Aah, thanks for that insight as I was going to try the TA3 next. But if the rear is the same profile as the RA3, I’ll pass on the Contis altogether. I found the RA3 rear ultra slow because of the flat profile. Great for motorways, not so if you stay off them as I do.

I think you will find that the TA3 front profile overrides the rear , as I too only road 600 miles on the RA3 but now have done two sets of the TA3 with no issues.
I will be interested to see how these get on in Spain next week. Used the old TA2 before and that was a great tyre , again the PR5 brilliant but does not last.
It will be interesting to see how the flatter rear works on the side / edges all day as the footprint is bigger than the PR5 and hope this will give better grip and increase the wear of hard cornering on the hot Spanish Cols when running at the limit.

Are you trying the Tourance exp pal ?

I have a set on my spoke wheels and so far , they seem a surprisingly good tyre , I need to rebalance the front as have a slight vibe from the front but they do seem like nice set.
Again the front profile is round but the back is less so and this seems to give a nice planted feel to the set.
Wear wise im not sure as only been running for around 600 miles at the moment , but find them good. I had a major issue with a set back in 2013 / 14 as there was a bad batch and it almost spoilt my trip across the Dolomites.

I have a set on my spoke wheels and so far , they seem a surprisingly good tyre , I need to rebalance the front as have a slight vibe from the front but they do seem like nice set.
Again the front profile is round but the back is less so and this seems to give a nice planted feel to the set.
Wear wise im not sure as only been running for around 600 miles at the moment , but find them good. I had a major issue with a set back in 2013 / 14 as there was a bad batch and it almost spoilt my trip across the Dolomites.

Thanks for that.Think i am going to give them a go.My A41,s are ready for a change front has worn down before the back which i find strange.They have 6500 miles on which i think is about right reading other reports on them.

I think you will find that the TA3 front profile overrides the rear , as I too only road 600 miles on the RA3 but now have done two sets of the TA3 with no issues.
I will be interested to see how these get on in Spain next week. Used the old TA2 before and that was a great tyre , again the PR5 brilliant but does not last.
It will be interesting to see how the flatter rear works on the side / edges all day as the footprint is bigger than the PR5 and hope this will give better grip and increase the wear of hard cornering on the hot Spanish Cols when running at the limit.

Thanks - look forward to hearing your experience on these. I simply did not like the RA3 rear which makes the bike feel sluggish. The PR5 were lovely fast turning and drop in was great making the bike feel agile etc. At this point I'm thinking I may just go back to PST2s which are cheap and still a great tyre all round.

Just an observation, all you chaps complaining about noisy tyres.....I take you don’t ride with ear plugs in? If you do then you must have INCREDIBLY noisy tyres as all I get is a bit of whine, wind and whatever track I am listening to with my plugs in. Never been bothered by tyre noise. :nenau

All front tyres I or my mates have tried seem to sound loudish, especially with the GSA....the reason is simples (my audio engineering now comes into play!...). Noise is channelled up from the front tyre through the fork tunnel in the bodywork which sort of acts like a horn, magnifying road noise. It doesn't seem to matter what adv tyre is fitted, the noise is there although some tyres like the Anikees are reported to be louder than others. Road biased tyres less so as they don't have the same ratio of channel grooves as trail/adv tyres. All of those will be more noisy than say a Roadtech01 or PR5. It got considerably worse on mine when I added a fender extender that seems to rumble away at a harmonic matching the tyre noise! The mudguard does add a little to this I think as well. Definitely quieter without the fender extender fitted. Not a lot you can do, but adding a little damping material to the underside of the front mudguard might perhaps help a little on the rumble from the plastic mudguard/fender extender vibrating. If it annoys, wear ear plugs. Problem dealt with, but yes, I've never owned a more noisy bike in terms of road noise than a GSA.

Just an observation, all you chaps complaining about noisy tyres.....I take you don’t ride with ear plugs in? If you do then you must have INCREDIBLY noisy tyres as all I get is a bit of whine, wind and whatever track I am listening to with my plugs in. Never been bothered by tyre noise. :nenau

PARDON

Thanks for that.Think i am going to give them a go.My A41,s are ready for a change front has worn down before the back which i find strange.They have 6500 miles on which i think is about right reading other reports on them.

YES on my new 1250 it came with A41 (G) tyres and i manage 6,500 miles before i swaped them for another pair of A41 (G) I like em a lot and yes front wears a tad before rear an you need to swap in pairs, but I think for what good feel they give you on the front its worth it IMHO.

Mine came with Anakee Adventure’s and I find the grip and feedback very poor. I’ve had numerous rear end slides and the (admittedly well worn) front let go twice on Saturday afternoon. They’re an 80/20 tyre which compromises their road ability too much IMHO.

The best turning tyre I had on my old 2014 GS LC was the Trail Attack 2. The Pilot Road 4 Trail steered slightly slower and was puncture prone, but did grip well. The Tourance Next was best all round, offering great grip and feedback.

I’m getting new tyres fitted this week and it’ll be Tourance Next or Trail Attack 3 this time. I’m tempted by the latter.

Mine came with Anakee Adventure’s and I find the grip and feedback very poor. I’ve had numerous rear end slides and the (admittedly well worn) front let go twice on Saturday afternoon. They’re an 80/20 tyre which compromises their road ability too much IMHO.

The best turning tyre I had on my old 2014 GS LC was the Trail Attack 2. The Pilot Road 4 Trail steered slightly slower and was puncture prone, but did grip well. The Tourance Next was best all round, offering great grip and feedback.

I’m getting new tyres fitted this week and it’ll be Tourance Next or Trail Attack 3 this time. I’m tempted by the latter.

I had Next on one of my GS’s, and wouldn’t have them again, as the handling wasn’t brilliant, and they squared off quicker than most tyres. Go for the TA3, you won’t be disappointed. :thumb

. . . It doesn't seem to matter what adv tyre is fitted, the noise is there although some tyres like the Anikees are reported to be louder than others. Road biased tyres less so as they don't have the same ratio of channel grooves as trail/adv tyres.
This makes perfect sense. I live in the country and you can hear tractors (and some Landrovers) coming half a mile away before you even hear the engine. It’s that drumming droning noise of the chunky treads on the tyres. If you’ve no hankering for off-road action I’d go with a pure road tyre for a quieter ride.

I had A41's and changed at 8.5k and they were properly shot! Fronts worse than the back. I never felt that confident in them as they seemed to squirm quite a bit, now gone for PR5s so will see how they perform

I had A41's and changed at 8.5k and they were properly shot! Fronts worse than the back. I never felt that confident in them as they seemed to squirm quite a bit, now gone for PR5s so will see how they perform

With respect though....8.5K miles is a hell of a lot for any tyre on a bike and they'd have probably been well past their best by 5 or 6K miles so any tyre will feel better after that. My PR4s were utterly shot at 4.5K and felt awful well before that. I have total confidence in my A41s with 1K miles on them but admit that there's a lack of feel or feedback in the wet, so guess it's more a matter of I don't know how far to push them so I don't, rather than them being compromised. Independent testing shows that they do in fact perform very well in the wet. They'd probably grip fine for most of us. I have never ever had any squirming in the dry from them, despite pushing hard on corners, except for once which was my fault for riding the rear off the egde of the tread. It stepped out momentarily and I didn't do that again. That was at a pretty extreme lean angle though.

I replace my old tyres and for reasons only known to the Gods, the new ones always seem better.

That's why my preference is ALWAYS for new tyres:thumb

Just solved the problem with the crappy Anakee Adventure tyres. Can’t wait to try these out

c17d5bbfed3fd2bc32bebf57bb2d2d1d.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom