Italy bound, via... ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RJP

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi to all, in Feb or March time I’ll be riding my bike to Ancona in Italy. I’ll be working there for a few years so I’ll be riding there and staying for the duration, hopefully exploring Italy whilst I’m there.

My question to those of you that have mucho experienceo :bow in traversing Europe is what’s the best route there? I’m happy to take a couple of weeks to do the trip but I’d like to take in the best roads if I can.

I work at sea and have driven/ridden quite a bit in Europe, but I’ve not always managed to find the best routes. So, hence my request. I was thinking of going to Northern Germany first. I’m starting out from Chester and happy to go pretty much any route within reason.

So what’s the thoughts? What’s the best roads to check out on the way?

Or ride to Düsseldorf and get the Nightjet to Innsbruck or Verona. Not far then to get to the warmer parts.

If you have a GS/A with a taller touring screen it will need to be on the lowest setting, or removed.

Or ride to Düsseldorf and get the Nightjet to Innsbruck or Verona. Not far then to get to the warmer parts.

If you have a GS/A with a taller touring screen it will need to be on the lowest setting, or removed.

Was a thought I had but the Verona train only starts in June till September, but Innsbruck is a solution also, obviously if weather is bad somewhere. :beerjug:

Thanks for the suggestions. But I will probably ride the whole way. I could always wait for a decent weather window if needs be.

I suppose to clarify, I’m after “via points” on the way. Such as the Route de Napoleon. It’s these great roads that I’m looking to ride.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hmm, I suppose I could get the ferry to Santander and make my way that way, what do you think Rick, you coming?

Thanks for the suggestions. But I will probably ride the whole way. I could always wait for a decent weather window if needs be.

I suppose to clarify, I’m after “via points” on the way. Such as the Route de Napoleon. It’s these great roads that I’m looking to ride.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think during February or March the RN will be impassable. I would pick a route though France to Nice then do a left taking the coastal route.
Give high roads a miss, especially the Alps at that time of the year. There'll be plenty of advice regarding routes through France incoming on here soon.
It's also worth considering tracking down the Rhine Valley then switching over to France as you get future southish.
Best get a map out and study to avoid the high stuff. This is a very rough guide but all my travels are like this.:D
Bon voyage.:thumb2

Edit: just saw post #7.

ANy interesting roads across the Alps will probably be closed in Feb and March. And traversing Northern France or Germany won't be as much fun in poor weather. You might get a mild week later in March at lower altitudes.

I think the Santander ferry and ride across Southern France (or even Northern Spain) sounds like a better bet. Won't be hot, obviously, but more likely to be pleasantly mild than trawling down through France.

As for places to see - well if you haven't been to Carcassonne, that should be on your list. And St Remy de Provence is pretty. Gorge du Verdon too if the weather is good. Or the Cote d'Azur, which is a bit spoiled in summer by traffic, should be good out of season.

Good advice

ANy interesting roads across the Alps will probably be closed in Feb and March. And traversing Northern France or Germany won't be as much fun in poor weather. You might get a mild week later in March at lower altitudes.

I think the Santander ferry and ride across Southern France (or even Northern Spain) sounds like a better bet. Won't be hot, obviously, but more likely to be pleasantly mild than trawling down through France.

As for places to see - well if you haven't been to Carcassonne, that should be on your list. And St Remy de Provence is pretty. Gorge du Verdon too if the weather is good. Or the Cote d'Azur, which is a bit spoiled in summer by traffic, should be good out of season.

Hi

I think all the advice given so far is pretty sensible I have ridden most of the routes mentioned however most obvious routes you might take will be closed this time of year

Regarding Spain I am not sure if the Santander crossing runs in the winter but even if it does it will be pretty rough don’t forget you are going across the bay of biscay

If it were me I would go across on euro tunnel no sea crossing and ride down through the centre of France there can be some really nice roads we often mis out, to say somewhere like Avignon then on down to the coast and along to northern Italy

As somebody else said it may well be nicer in the winter with less traffic along the southern coast of France which can be pretty busy normally

Anyway I am sure you will have a great trip any trip on the bike is better than working:beerjug:

I'm Italian. Been here in the UK for 12 years now, regularly ride the bike down to Italy almost every year.

During winter I normally go through Switzerland to do the passes.
My normal route to Italy takes 3 days (mini vacation) to Rome.

Generally I do: London/Nancy, Nancy/Milan (via Switzerland and the Swiss rollercoaster), and then Milan to Rome (where I'm from) or Tuscany (seaside house). This is done via a decent mix of national roads and motorways (when needed and depending on time constraints).
Riding down to Rome through via Cassia (Tuscany, Val d'Orcia) is really something.

I've recovered my GS a few year ago from Rome. Following some mechanical woes I shipped it to my mechanic back home. He fixed it.
We then shipped my mate GS to Rome too. We flew there in March and rode the bikes back.

March is already pretty warm in Italy. We came back to London passing via Genova and then following the Route Napoleon, stopped in Dijon and then direct to Calais.
We didn't see too much snow, even going up.

I should probably still have some of the tracks from that trip.
Otherwise I should have a number of routes used over the years (car/bike) on Basecamp.

February, I wouldn't do it.
March, late March, yes.

Remember, if you need, there is the Mototrain from Paris to Nice (and other way round of cours :D ).
Used it a few years ago as I rode the bike down to Rome for a wedding (5 days turnaround). Saves you roughly one day of traveling.

I suppose I could get the ferry to Santander and make my way that way

Yeah.
You can also go through Tokyo as well.

February is the height of the ski season, work out what that means.

As er-minio says, later on in March is a much better bet. When we went on the Turkey Trot one Easter (Easter was very early) riding Calais to Milan in a day, straight down the motorways. Had we left a day later, we would probably have got no further than Dijon, as freezing and snow hit central France, shutting the motorway. Sometimes you just have to be lucky.

Similarly, I have been turned back from Barcelonette in early May, due to late snow but another time sat in 25 c sun in April.

Take a view next year. Safest option would be to at least investigate the truck prices and fly down.

As said you'll need a bit of luck but as you've got plenty of time keep the route down France towards the west coast, generally lower so more chance of rain and less chance of the white stuff. Head east after a brief stop over in Lourdes* and make sure you buy one of those indulgences (or at least an ice cream) before trottin along the med coast, again pretty low. If you hug the coast you can even avoid the really high stuff as cross the border into super mario land. Thereafter you can continue to hug the coast although bypass Genoa it's fecking nightmare as they try and sort out some overpasses that'll actually stay up this time. Alternatively the first couple of hundred miles down the spine is flat as a witches tits before you climb through Tuscany probably avoiding the old panoramica road (just in case).

Waypoints? Loads, La Rochelle, Bordeaux, how about san sebastian before you head back east? All not too small as it'll be quiet in a lot of places should be good for ourador sur glane along the way too if that takes your fancy.

Heres another suggestion. Rock along the French med and get to Italy via Corsica and Sardinia although I can't vouch for the ferry schedules at that time of year.

Or, alternatively, take the ferry from Barcelona all the way to Rome although again whether it runs then you'll have to check. May even be possible to go via the Balearics and/or Sardinia I dunno.

Of course if you get a decent weather window lots of other suggestions open up as mentioned already.

*Other places of religious significance are available. Other religions are available. Your soul is at risk if you do not continue to make payments. Terms and conditions apply.

My parents, regularly had snow and freezing in February in Provence..... where it hits 30 c plus in the summer, without trying.

Yeah, experienced it a few times and weathers a bit topsy turvy of late to so a nice dry spell isn't out of the question and if not skirt it, plot up in a nice hotel if necessary if you have the luxury of a bit of time.

Plan for the worst, hope for the best:thumb2

My parents, regularly had snow and freezing in February in Provence..... where it hits 30 c plus in the summer, without trying.

20171202_075201.jpg

20171202_075136.jpg

I would agree with heading nearer the coast to go across to italy as the high roads will be too risky,
That said i have done many trips in march via the ardeche and route napoleon ,
and had really nice weather to enjoy the twisty roads,
It will be a case of check the forecast as the bad weather in. 2018 made it a bit interesting,
this year was really sunny and dry never saw rain.
So from experience i would say its do able but,
It depends on forecast and only ride in Sun/daylight to be safe,
as it can still close to frost risk on higher roads ,
That said i would go again at that time of year and may still do it,

Attachments

• 75BFEB59-4943-46A0-877D-F0253994FA7F.jpg
    75BFEB59-4943-46A0-877D-F0253994FA7F.jpg
    250.2 KB · Views: 329
Hi and thanks everyone for the advice. I've spent a lot of time in the Med as I'm a Superyacht Captain, which also means I look at the weather a lot. It also means I know the S of France reasonably well... although I do know it better by sea! The Santander option is a bit of a long way round and having experienced the Bay of Biscay plenty of times in yachts, it can be a bit of a washing machine, but it's safe to say I don't get sea sick!

The way points mentioned are great and I will probably use those to form a route avoiding the motorways. I do have the luxury of time and I can most likely wait for the good weather and roll out the plan when it suits. So I'll make a plan and when dates and weather allows I'll go then. I tried using the Garmin software for route planning but I nearly threw the laptop out the window, so I've been using https://www.myrouteapp.com/en/home. Seems very good and user friendly so I'll make the route with that.

After some drama with Sunderland BMW I managed to get a great deal with my local dealer Chester BMW, who have been great once we got the price sorted. I picked the bike up yesterday and fitted some bits already, mud sling, fender extender and engine bars, which I think look great in white. So now I just need some good weather to run her in and have a few jollies in the UK before taking her down to Italy for a while. Thanks again for the input and I'll post some pics of the bike. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom