Cam Sprocket Cover Seal

Riceburner

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Has anyone else had the seal on the cam sprocket cover fail? And then a new O-ring fail instantly?
Currently losing about 100ml per 200 miles of (admittedly fast) riding.
If a new seal doesn't work.... Whats the fix?
My only thought currently is to find another thin o-ring to go around the outside of the sprocket cover where it is inserted into the had as a secondary seal.

Any other ideas?

You sure the O-ring you fitted had the correct dims? Wrong size O-ring can be as good as no O-ring...

If it was, then presumably the next thing is to check the mating face that the O-ring fits against... After that, is there a crack in the plastic cover? 100ml is a lot to lose just from that area- I mean it would make quite a mess

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Are you absolutely sure it is the cam sprocket seal and not the Sparkplug tunnel seal where the rocker cover meets the head??

Did you have the rocker cover off prior to this leak starting ??

Are you absolutely sure it is the cam sprocket seal and not the Sparkplug tunnel seal where the rocker cover meets the head??

I think this is a better line of thinking

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

It's a good thought.

I'm pretty sure the inner rocker cover seal is good, but I'll check it. Normally you'd be able to see more oil coming down through the fins, but they're absolutely dry. The only visible oil is around the head guard mounting bolt.

It's a good thought.

I'm pretty sure the inner rocker cover seal is good, but I'll check it. Normally you'd be able to see more oil coming down through the fins, but they're absolutely dry. The only visible oil is around the head guard mounting bolt.

Have you slipped the sparkplug cover off and looked for oil under there ?

If you have checked everything else and are sure its the cam sprocket cover?

Swap the one from the other side and see if the leak moves ??

If it does?? just buy a replacement whether it be from a used supplier or new

If you are NOT cack handed and can "feel" bolt tightness ??

As a temporary measure you could make a broad taper of PTFE using plumbers tape at the rear face and "Gently" nip up the bolts ??

It should require VERY little to seal these as it is just crank case air pressure in there

Reactions: ari
Have you slipped the sparkplug cover off and looked for oil under there ?

If you have checked everything else and are sure its the cam sprocket cover?

Swap the one from the other side and see if the leak moves ??

If it does?? just buy a replacement whether it be from a used supplier or new

If you are NOT cack handed and can "feel" bolt tightness ??

As a temporary measure you could make a broad taper of PTFE using plumbers tape at the rear face and "Gently" nip up the bolts ??

It should require VERY little to seal these as it is just crank case air pressure in there

That's why I'm surprised it's leaking at all, especially with a brand-new o-ring recently fitted.

I can switch the covers easily enough - at least that way I'll get matching oil-soaked trouser legs..... ;)

OK, well - if anyone else gets this issue..... (unlikely, but possible).

A tokico caliper weather seal around the outside of the sprocket-cover 'tube'; ie 'outside' the initial o-ring seal will seal the weep nicely. ;)

(well - it has done for 35 motorway miles so far....)

Okay that's what I was meaning about using a ring of PTFE around the cylinder at the mating faces to seal it But probably did not explain it too well. But it likely proves that the cam sprocket cover is okay and its something regarding the seal

Pardon the question but did you check the orifice was clean and there isn't a wee bit of old O ring stuck on the sidewall holding the new one slightly out of place? Did the new o ring, make it a tight fit to push the cam sprocket cover into place?

Also keep an eye on that Tokico seal :rob :rob

They expand quite magnificently when in contact with Mineral oil! :green gri

Okay that's what I was meaning about using a ring of PTFE around the cylinder at the mating faces to seal it But probably did not explain it too well. But it likely proves that the cam sprocket cover is okay and its something regarding the seal

Pardon the question but did you check the orifice was clean and there isn't a wee bit of old O ring stuck on the sidewall holding the new one slightly out of place? Did the new o ring, make it a tight fit to push the cam sprocket cover into place?

The old one came off clean, the cover and orifice were wiped clean, and the new one went on easily, yes it was a slightly tight fit seeming to indicate a good seal. Nothing seemed out of the ordinary apart from the lack of utility.

Also keep an eye on that Tokico seal :rob :rob

They expand quite magnificently when in contact with Mineral oil! :green gri

Good thing I'm running fully-synth at the moment then! ;) (which I don't think is the reason for the leak as it was leaking before the last oil change too, previously had (iirc) mineral oil in the bike).

I'll be keeping tabs on it anyway as it's not a perfect solution and I'm well aware of that!

A slight thread hijack, if I may?

I am looking to fit a pair of Wally flaps purchased on this site on my 1150GS.

They seem to line up with the camshaft sprocket cover - ie I would bolt the two securing points along with the cover.

Am I in danger of giving myself a problem in doing so? (Thinking oil leak??)

Back
Top Bottom