Weird routes!

Status
Not open for further replies.

(RIP) Spangle

Reaction score
I’ve done the clean up of the device drive as Michael recommended above, and although the rogue file wasn’t present, I deleted a load of unwanted/unused files - mainly non English language & help files. The device now works much quicker but I’ve just created a route in MyRoute & exported to my 660 but it’s come out like this (pic below). I’ve hit ‘recalculate’ & made sure device nav settings are as they should be but still a gobbledegook route is displayed.

Any suggestion will be gratefully received...
a42874d433fca91a4ec5f7c8e2210268.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That is a classic image of a route that is created outside of BaseCamp / Mapsource where some of the waypoints * / shaping points are off the road.

The main cause of them being off the road is the difference between whatever maps MyRoute uses (maybe Google maps, I guess) and Garmin’s own generic mapping.

The Garmin device then does its best by routing you off the road into what is maybe a field, up to the point and back out again. I can create the same effect deliberately in BaseCamp by placing a point off the road. Other than rarely, I don’t get it by accident as I never stray from Garmin software and always try to check that the shaping points / waypoints are on the carriageway.... unless of course I want the route to go off the carriageway, into a road for example that is no shown on the Garmin map. Then I get the straight line. When creating a route in BaseCamp on a Mac I get a telltale warning that I have placed a point off the carriage way, as the point appears as a number in the list. If I get one, I go back a stage (edit) zoom in and place the point correctly.

See this thread from post #7 onwards, as the spikes and bizarre routing look very similar:

https://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php/510280-Garmin-396LM

PS If, as in the post linked above, you share the problem route with us, it may save some time.

* I suspect they are waypoints (points you have told the device you MUST go through) which might explain the circular loop, when the poor dumb machine tries its best to take you into fields and back through a must do point that is then behind on the route.

Thanks Lee. I’m unable to view the file because I only have my iPhone with me.

Have you loaded the route to your 660 & it’s converted without the loops and off-roading?

Just loading it now will post a pic if ok

ican confirm it follows the exact track you linked

Attachments

• 321.jpg
    321.jpg
    114.6 KB · Views: 125
i will presume when you downloaded the route from the site you used you then put the file into basecamp and then transfered the route part of the file to your nav, what you should have done was after putting the file in basecamp you should have converted the track part of the file to a route and then sent tthe converted file to the nav.

Thanks Lee, I’m not sure whether that’s a good or bad thing..!

Not many ways left to manipulate the device other than factory reset

I don’t use BC. Since I’ve recently bought a MacBook I use MyRoute. I’ve had no problem previously creating MyRoute files & exporting to 660 via laptops. MapSource files also were ok but now unable to use MS on a MacBook, hence MyRoute

i will presume when you downloaded the route from the site you used you then put the file into basecamp and then transfered the route part of the file to your nav, what you should have done was after putting the file in basecamp you should have converted the track part of the file to a route and then sent tthe converted file to the nav.

That is a classic image of a route that is created outside of BaseCamp / Mapsource where some of the waypoints * / shaping points are off the road.

The route shown in post #1 is exactly the same problem I had, and that we discussed in the other thread! ;)

update: I should have read the full thread before replying :blast didn't notice you linked to it... heh

Since I had this issue happening very often on the 660 (it happened just a handful of times on the 396) try one thing that seemed to solve the recalculation error: upload the routes on the internal memory, not the SD. Or in the same location (internal/SD) where the full map is stored.
That solved it for me at the time on the 660. Even though I cannot be 100% sure that actually moving the routes solved the problem at the time.

Otherwise, anything Wapping says! :)

Read the section I added to my post above (edited after posting).

I'm uploading your route on my sat nav as we speak.

Downloaded you GPX and in Basecamp the route is not calculated, it just has shaping points. Good.

route_mal.2019-09-10 10_34_56.gif

I uploaded it on the 396, you can see just the straight lines through the points, but then when the routing starts, Zumo calculated it correctly.
Apologies for the phone pictures, couldn't be arsed to use the screenshot function :)

spangle2.jpg

spangle1.jpg

No worries, been through these woes myself. Happy to help if I can.
Did you manage to solve?

I’m up north at the moment & my device down south. I opted for train over steel horse this morning. I’ll have another fiddle when back south on Thurs

Thanks Lee, I’m not sure whether that’s a good or bad thing..!

Not many ways left to manipulate the device other than factory reset

The file i have uploaded to dropbox is exactly the same as the file (track not route) that you linked to from my route app. so if thats the route you want to take the one i have in dropbox will be the same.

Attachments

• route2.jpg
    route2.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 68
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom