4wd trip to Mongolia - how's the diesel?

Northern jock

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I am thinking of doing a 4wd trip to Mongolia in two years time and would appreciate any info about the current quality of diesel in Kazakhstan and Mongolia and any problems folk have had as a result. Online has various views and facts about the high sulphur levels but also about the green targets etc.

I think a Euro 5 or 6 engine would probably suffer so a Euro 4 would be a better bet for higher sulphur.

Anyone been recently or got any decent information? Obviously things can change in two years but probably not that much, especially out in the sticks. I'm not going to buy a simple 30 year old Landcruiser that gets round most possible fuel issues but introduces many others, too old and whatever I get has to be my daily vehicle here so the last of the Euro 4's (2010) seems a good compromise.

My guess would be that even most Euro 4’s handbooks will advise against use of diesel with 500ppm sulphur which at a guess is where it will be, that being said the reality is they will probably be ok as long as the ambient temp isnt too low.

Your chosen manufacturer will probably give you some advice as they know their vehicles will venture there (especially those sold in Eastern Europe) that’s if you can speak with someone sensible.

Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom