Senegal on a GSA 2up, any suggestions?

jdivision

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I’m planing a trip next February/2020 from Portugal to Senegal and maybe Guiné-Bissau on a R1200GSA LC.

Can someone give me some tips on what to expect on road conditions. I’m an experience rider but I’ll ride two-up with road tires (80/20), so sand or mud is a no go for me.

I will have a maximum of 10 days after entering Senegal. I do not have a route defined yet. Any suggestion on that?

And what about Guiné? Anyone went there recently?

Tarmac all the way, no problem on road tyres. Do not camp off-road in Western Sahara as it's the third largest minefield in the world and the only one laid in shifting sand. Border crossings are a pain, especially the Morrocco/Mauritania one, read up on it before you go as I think you'll still need a visa not available at the crossing.

Tanks oblertone!

I’m more concern about roads condition in Senegal and Guiné and on which route to follow in those country's. My plan for now is:

1 night-Saint-Louis;
1 night-Dakar (Lac Rose?)
2 days Ziguinchor / Cap Skirring/ Diébering (I imagine its possible to reach in 1 day from Dakar region trought Gambia, but not sure)
2 days Bissau / Bubaque
2 days Fathala Reserve
Start returning north. Not sure about the route.

Is that make sense?

At the Senagalese border we were 'directed' to the Zebrabar (St Louis) which was an amazing campsite/hostel/hotel run by an Austrian couple; a centre of almost pilgrimage for travellers moving through Senegal. It would pay you not only to stay there but also contact them beforehand to discuss your proposed route; they will have the best up-to-date info on road conditions and local 'issues' you should avoid.

We took two days to get from St Louis to Banjul (Gambia) but we were on 90cc step-through bikes.

Its.........zebrabar campsite....
its on Tripadvisor....

At the Senagalese border we were 'directed' to the Zebrabar (St Louis) which was an amazing campsite/hostel/hotel run by an Austrian couple; a centre of almost pilgrimage for travellers moving through Senegal. It would pay you not only to stay there but also contact them beforehand to discuss your proposed route; they will have the best up-to-date info on road conditions and local 'issues' you should avoid.

We took two days to get from St Louis to Banjul (Gambia) but we were on 90cc step-through bikes.

Hi oblertone

That sounds interesting have you done a ride report

No, we (well Dennis actually) wrote a book; click the Scooters link below for more info.

It's entirely possible that Crumbles has got his settings not to display signatures :nenau

However this link should take him to the same place :thumb2

I was in St Louis in 1996 heading south, Zebrabar was just starting, great place and area

I see no link either:nenau

Right at the top of your screen is a Settings tab, click it then follow this route.

My Account / General Settings / Thread Display / Show Signatures & tick the box :thumb

You may know already but Horizons unlimited - the HUBB - is the best website for up to date local knowledge.

As already stated, mostly tarmac all the way. All borders are a pain in the arse, Mauritania the worst. You can pick up your visa in Rabat, can't remember what I did for the Senegal visa. HUBB is by far the best place to look for up to date information.

Traffic conditions south of Western Sahara are suicidal, take a blind fold for your pillion eg three lanes of traffic / sometimes four going into Dakar, two out all on a two way lane.

Back
Top Bottom