2019 Moto Guzzi V85TT Review

Definitely mellowing a bit these days Johnny. I'm 65 in two weeks time, eyesight's not what it was, strength's not what it was, reaction time not what it was, but my enthusiasm for riding motorcycles remains the same as it was when I was 15. I just love riding my bikes.

I've come to realise, that I actually prefer using 90% of a bikes power for 80% of the time, rather than 70% of the bikes power for 40% of the time. It's much more engaging and a heap more fun, and still pretty quick.:green gri

I cannot disagree with any of that and another reason I am enjoying my T7 - it’s more workable

Looks a nice bit of kit that.

Colchester Kawasaki offering pre reg V85 TT at £8999

wow that's even cheaper than last years sale price. there's not many secondhand and the prices are always high and the sell quickly.

very tempting and there only 3 miles away so would get some more off as its free delivery:D:blast

I loved the dct Africa twin but these are 2/3 the size which most of the time is what I want :okay

Probably the best looking big adventure bikes out there till the Norden comes along

There are some great deals around at the moment. Some dealers are telling me that the last stocks of Euro 4 have to be registered this year and that Guzzi are giving them additonal monies to temp customers. A couple of other dealers have told me this is complete rubbish, so not sure who to believe. Several dealers tell me they have cleared all their Euro 4 bikes and cannot get more stock until Feb/March next year others say it will be a few weeks until Euro 5 models arrive. There are some dealers who say they have reached target and have no need to discount bikes very far, almost arrogant in refusing to knock kore than a few hundred off. I told them very clearly lets say, that once mid December arrives and they still have stock they will have no option or sell as pre-registered bikes.

shpooing for the best deal quite a few dealers were

Almost here - thoughts on bling

Hopefully arriving next week, let the bling begin.

Over the next 2-3 months while in winter storage.

TFT screen protector

Caponord front mudguard with Pyramid fender extender

Rear Hugger - not sure which one yet.

Givi rear aluminium plate for top box.

Givi tank ring for exisitng bag used on another machine.

Upgrade horn ? Denali or Steibel.

Fork protector possibly R & G

Shaft dive housing/bevel box protector

Crash bars, tempted by the Guzzi ones which are about the cheapest, but also like the coverage the Givi ones give - research ongoing.

Look into heated grip options - did not want to jump into having the Guzzi ones, not cheap at £220 ish and stories about lack of heat. Have used Oxford Hot grips on other bikes for years, but not sure if these will be ok as I have heard the bars are tapered, but not clear on this until I suss it out.

Research into screen options, but not until I have taken it on a trip to work out how good or otherwise the standard screen is. May well fit a wunderlich aerofoil thingy used on previous bikes to see what difference it makes.

Work out options for fitting a plate on the centre stand to protect underside.

Front Pivot Pegz and lowering option.

Wiring in Sat Nav

Second USB socket or 12V socket under seat into the port provided as standard fitment.

Barkbuster or Acerbis hand guards, possibly other brand if there is anything as good for less wonga.

May consider additonal lights, but not even looked at this yet.

Bar risers and/set backs if required - on test rides I did not feel they were.

That's for starters, we will see what other bling floats my boat so to speak.

Any suggestions or ideas on the above welcome.

Attachments

• D19343CF-297F-48E3-89E6-497364B4E9DB.jpg
    D19343CF-297F-48E3-89E6-497364B4E9DB.jpg
    257.3 KB · Views: 760
Hopefully arriving next week, let the bling begin.

Over the next 2-3 months while in winter storage.

Look into heated grip options - did not want to jump into having the Guzzi ones, not cheap at £220 ish and stories about lack of heat. Have used Oxford Hot grips on other bikes for years, but not sure if these will be ok as I have heard the bars are tapered, but not clear on this until I suss it out.
ess wonga.

That's for starters, we will see what other bling floats my boat so to speak.

Any suggestions or ideas on the above welcome.

First off join the Facebook group. A guy uploaded a really usefully bit of research with links for just about all the things you are thinking about. https://www.facebook.com/notes/moto-guzzi-v85/v85-tt-information/953455965061391/

Oxford grips..... This week I decided to upcycle an old pair of Oxford grips I found in a drawer. Left side is easy, throttle side not. Basically the throttle tube on the bike is about half a MM too fat. So sanding and dremelling is needed on one of the throttle tube or the inside of the grip, or on both to make it fit. Then the Oxford cables have different connectors and are short if you want to integrate the grips with the bikes electronics. So you need to make up a jump lead. Links in the doc above for the correct size Molex. Next, as always with Oxford, you need find the right place for the moulding on the grip where the the wires exit that don’t foul either the clutch/brake levers or get in the way of the starter button or the horn. Oxfords are a bodge and I think I will be removing mine before long.

For me the best upgrades I have done is the +30mm Wilbers rear shock for added cornering clearance two-up, and a Mistral exhaust and decat pipe. The bike now sounds proper. I have the Capo front mudguard on order from Gutsibits along with the Pyramid extender and rear hugger.

Thanks Austin, very helpful, don't think I will bother with the Oxford grips. May have done if I had a spare set, but probably not worth buying just to try them. Will follow-up on your suggestions.

Anybody fitted the givi engine bars? Look a bit too industrial for my liking but I’d welcome any thought. Likewise what satnav mounts are people using? I’ve seen one on adventure rider that looks well made, perhaps too well made.

I just thought I would say I have joined the Guzzi clan and a new Red and White V85 is being delivered on Friday. I have just ordered the Aprilia mudguard and wondered whether you need the extra bolts to fit it or use the existing ones? And what Givi racks do you use? The one I have seen is the SRA8203.
thank you very much!

Yes, I am in the same boat, just wondering if additonal specific bolts required for the mudguard. A couple of dealers have told me you do, others say the original bolts from V85TT fork guards are used.

And a bmw bar mount which is about £10 with all the screws which are extras (typical bmw)

I just thought I would say I have joined the Guzzi clan and a new Red and White V85 is being delivered on Friday. I have just ordered the Aprilia mudguard and wondered whether you need the extra bolts to fit it or use the existing ones? And what Givi racks do you use? The one I have seen is the SRA8203.
thank you very much!

Same bolts as the fork guards Littlemegdog. I use the Givi SR 8203 which is the plastic one, (the sra 8203 is the ally one). but only about £35. One thing I would suggest. If you don't need a massive top box have a look at the Givi Trekker 30ltr, they look miles better than the 42ltr.

Back
Top Bottom