Liberation Route Europe, Netherlands

Wicker

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Those with interest in Operation Market Garden and the associated US, British and Polish airdrops leading up to the push towards Arnhem may find this website of interest. It lists a lot of the memorials and museums in the area - and there are a lot. I've been to all four of these museums of different bike trips

1) Museums- Hartenstein Hotel in Arnhem has a distinct focus on that part of the battle.
2) The National War and Resistance Museum - Oorlogsmuseum in Overloon is the biggest collection I've seen in Holland with lots of heavy equipment, display of artillery shells, etc. The collection is a mix of WW2 right through to some 60s / 70s stuff. Well worth a 1/2 day
3) Museum Wings of Liberation, in Best has a focus on the airborne battle around Eindhoven and the Son Bridge. Commentary is mostly in Dutch. The museum covers 4 buildings but is quite small. It has a variety of half tracks, several quad 50s, various German Anti-aircraft Guns (a twin barrel 37mm - not seen one of these before), a Dakota, a replica glider (ex-Saving Private Ryan) and of course the obligatory BMW and Zundapp war era motorbikes. They have a 1930s German sound detection system (pre-dates radar) - I've never seen one of these anywhere else.
4) National Libetration Museum 1944-45 in Groesbeek. This focusses on the Dutch experience of WW2 and the airborne landings.

https://liberationroute.com/the-netherlands/noord-brabant

You can shape quite a nice wee tour around the various museums, sites and memorials.

If you explore the website a bit more there are listings of historical WW2 sites cross Europe.

That’s a great website of info, thanks for posting

Back
Top Bottom