Ride in Biblical Rain Review (gear)

willy eckerslike

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
So yesterday I decided to visit York to pick up some trousers I'd ordered .
Rain was incessant, not just your average rain but proper rain, daftley I thought I review my ride and the gear I used.
Starting from the top:

Scuberth C4 Pro, was warm quiet and never misted up too bad even in the 16 degs temp, a helmet that does what it says on the tin, comms worked fine under duress, lower bits got wet but not too bad.
New Kallesi Rukka Jacket (fuck me that's expensive). I amazingly was dry considering the conditions, bit round the neck got damp but in general I was dry.
Kallesi trousers totally good, considering the amount of water chucked at them no wet crotch totally dry.
Richa dual gloves ( goretex) bollocks, totally wet.
Rig boots lasted well but gave in as expected

Its rare we will ride in such conditions for long so here's the quandary.

You pay a small fortune for top gear, now if you ride all the time regardless of weather would actually be worth it.
you don't set out to ride in bad weather but get caught out and your gear does t job.

Leaking horrible wet gloves first thing to sort and probably the cheapest.

Having used a wolf tour tech suit for the last two years which is amazing, I do feel the ruckka is a step up but a big step up in money.

The wet feeling of a liner suit over a laminate suit is I feel significant on a long ride but less so on the "caught out for a few hours ride.

Any way its just ramblings, the 1250 coped well, did its job in horrendous conditions, though the Battlax A41's really didn't inspire me, letting go on a few occasions coming of roundabouts even with rain mode set, something I never had with at3's

Did you do any epic overtaking in the wet?

Was it good?

I did, though it was just fuck you, I'm going past to get a better view, most traffic was down to 40-50 mph to be honest, I was just looking for best view and least water, it is always a trade off, at times I was up to 70 but that was a risk taken with a view to get clear of numpties,

I did, though it was just fuck you, I'm going past to get a better view, most traffic was down to 40-50 mph to be honest, I was just looking for best view and least water, it is always a trade off, at times I was up to 70 but that was a risk taken with a view to get clear of numpties,

Most excellent, did you get any video footage?

No which is a shame, because it would show people how bad it can be, I'm sure we've all been there at sometime, especially the older folks who only had a a bike as their only means of transport, I remember only too well no "gear" no traction or abs just a will to get home

Your experience with the A41's echoes my own. Great in the dry but didn't inspire confidence in the (chucking it down) wet. Only one tyre has ever done that for me and it's no longer in production more's the pity.

Rain was incessant, not just your average rain but proper rain, daftley I thought I review my ride and the gear I used.
Starting from the top:

Scuberth C4 Pro, was warm quiet and never misted up too bad even in the 16 degs temp, a helmet that does what it says on the tin, comms worked fine under duress, lower bits got wet but not too bad.
New Kallesi Rukka Jacket (fuck me that's expensive). I amazingly was dry considering the conditions, bit round the neck got damp but in general I was dry.
Kallesi trousers totally good, considering the amount of water chucked at them no wet crotch totally dry.

My current wet weather gear is similar. Tested on the autobahns, playing with the trucks for 8+ hours. Mosel back to Guildford in torrential rain all the way:

Schuberth C4 Pro Helmet. Works great in any weather. No problems. The C3 Pro works just as well too and have tested this as well over many miles. Both helmets will give occasional drips to the interior, but no misting.

Rukka Nivala jacket. Bone dry if you use the storm collar and the crotch strap. Otherwise water will wick in through the neck and up your t-shirt from the waistline. I will upgrade to the Rukka Nivala trousers this year just so I can zip the two together, but the Rokker jeans I normally wear are fantastic and I have used them for 4 years in all conditions and they have never leaked.

Rokker Revolution jeans. 100% waterproof in all conditions. You do feel like you are getting wet, but you aren't. A set of merino legging solves the "feeling wet" problem.

Boots- I have had a lot of luck with TCX boots. Can't remember which version of their touring boot I am wearing now, but they are pretty damn good and stay dry. EDIT: My latest boots are Forma Latino - which are very comfortable and did stay dry.

Gloves - Rukka Virium ( I think) textile gloves. Super feel and also properly gore tex waterproof. Of course, every time you take them off and put them on again to fill up, you will get some water in.

Anyway. With all of this kit, I can stay almost dry on a 400+ mile day through biblical rain with heavy vehicle spray. There will always of course be some degree of wet coming in every time you take gloves and helmet off, but it's not bad at all.Just annoying.

The major, major downside is that this lot is £2k+ to buy new without discounts. My best bit of advice is search for lowest discounted price on any of this stuff and then call Motolegends in Guildford and ask them to do their 10% price beat. They are lovely people and if you do your homework, you can't get better pricing on any of the gear they sell.

Reactions: SBD
I have two main suits for rain.

Klim Badlands Goretex Pro Suit - which I use in mixed weather as it has a ton of zippers to regulate heat

Alpinestars Tech Road Goretex Pro Suit - which has no zippers, but is perfect for Winter and real heavy downpours as it has a high waterproof collar

https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorcycle_parts/content_prod/236509

Both good kit, but I really like the Alpinestars Tech Road kit for heavy water and winter

2 years ago I rode from Spittal south of Salzburg, via Munich and to the edge of the Black Forest - only 30 miles from Strasbourg

It was a long ride on mainly motorways

Just outside Salzburg you could see the rain clouds approaching -so pulled over and got sorted - cuffs over gloves & extra SG4 storm collar zipped onto jacket and done up

It is imperative you pull over and make sure all is done up, vents closed, storm collars donned, gloves under cuffs & trews over boots and jacket & trousers zipped together to prevent wicking

With the SG4 extra storm collar zipped on & done up your helmet even stays dry underneath and nothing gets down your neck

2018 BMW Streetguard 4 jacket and SG1 trews

HG goretex gloves - 20 years old

Daytona Road Star GTX boots

Shoei Neotec 1

Rain was 'biblical' for 6hours ++, motorway was down to 40 mph in places it was so heavy & looking down at the GS pots - it looked like it was water cooled

Everything was totally waterproof and I was totally dry, after hours of torrential rain - even the 20 year old HG goretex gloves

Can't beat proper kit

I have two main suits for rain.

Klim Badlands Goretex Pro Suit - which I use in mixed weather as it has a ton of zippers to regulate heat

Alpinestars Tech Road Goretex Pro Suit - which has no zippers, but is perfect for Winter and real heavy downpours as it has a high waterproof collar

https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorcycle_parts/content_prod/236509

Both good kit, but I really like the Alpinestars Tech Road kit for heavy water and winter

I have a Suzuki Vitara and below :D

https://www.yr.no/

On Monday I was riding back from Maastricht, it tipped it down from Clackett Lane on the M25 to Salisbury. We filtered for long periods on the M25, then motorway speeds along the M3 to the A303/A30 to Salisbury. 2-1/2 hours of heavy rain and many puddles. Bone dry when I pulled in the garage at home.

Schuberth E1, 4 yo, with new pin lock visor insert
Rukka Argosaurus gloves, 4 yo
Daytona Roadstar GTX Boots at least 5 YO
BMW rain jacket over BMW Rallye jacket, 2 months old
BMW Rallye Pants, 1 month old

Starting from the top:

Its rare we will ride in such conditions for long so here's the quandary.

You pay a small fortune for top gear, now if you ride all the time regardless of weather would actually be worth it.
you don't set out to ride in bad weather but get caught out and your gear does t job.

Leaking horrible wet gloves first thing to sort and probably the cheapest.

Having used a wolf tour tech suit for the last two years which is amazing, I do feel the ruckka is a step up but a big step up in money.

The wet feeling of a liner suit over a laminate suit is I feel significant on a long ride but less so on the "caught out for a few hours ride.

Any way its just ramblings, the 1250 coped well, did its job in horrendous conditions, though the Battlax A41's really didn't inspire me, letting go on a few occasions coming of roundabouts even with rain mode set, something I never had with at3's

I use Rukka gloves, both summer and winter ones but if my hands get wet ( when stopped with gloves off) then need silk liner gloves to get them on, but both bone dry.

You do keep your sleeves over the gloves in wet weather or the rain runs down your arms into the glove?

Have both Rukka laminate Goretex Pro and Klim Badlands Goretex Pro, both dry but the Rukka neck closure is better and warmer.

i used to use Rukka gear but when my zip failed on a 3 year old jacket and they refused to fix as (in their words) i used it too much (daily commute) i sold it all off and will never buy that stuff again .i now use BMW kit which is far better in quality and much cheaper and they stand by their warranty

Put a cheap one or two piece nylon rainsuit over your expensive twat suit or Rukka gear & you'll be even drier.
Not yet found any gloves that stay non porous in 40 years.
Boots with a Gore-Tex liner seem to manage.

i used to use Rukka gear but when my zip failed on a 3 year old jacket and they refused to fix as (in their words) i used it too much (daily commute) i sold it all off and will never buy that stuff again .i now use BMW kit which is far better in quality and much cheaper and they stand by their warranty

I felt the Rukka didn’t last long enough, Klim is better, but the BMW Enduroguard much better vfm.

Back
Top Bottom