XT1200 ZE Suspension

barny

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Has anyone with the ZE had the rear spring rate changed? I have found on mine If I ride solo with panniers loaded and set to the correct setting the side stand is too upright and does not give confidence leaving the bike. But if I change the suspension setting to rider-pillion + luggage it's a better angle on the side stand. This may not seem a problem but to me it seems maybe the rear spring rate needs changing to suit my 15st in gear weight. Has anyone with a ZE had any work done at MCT?

Barny

Plenty of info about this on the forum ............. www.yamahasupertenere.com

Whilst you don't mention the year/mileage on your Gen2, frankly this shouldn't be a problem with the OE shock given your riding weight, so it sounds like your bike has excessive rear sag for some reason. Could be the spring, could be the gas pressure in the shock, could be your system needs a reset. The forum has details of the procedure, which gets the bike to cycle the rear shock through it's full range of adjustment, not unlike the idea behind resetting the parameters for the electric windows on a car. The system rarely gets out of sync; usually it only occurs when the suspension of a fully loaded bike is adjusted incorrectly, or the servo is sticking due to lack of use.

If you still have warranty, talk to your dealer. If not, then get MCT at Stowmarket to take a look - I think they do a low cost 'set-up' & I'm sure they can check out the nitrogen pressure (should be c.170 psi IIRC) as well as opine on your rear spring/servo. The spring rate will appear light on ZE/ES bikes by design, so take care not to get talked into some hugely beefed up spring replacement.

I'm on my 3rd S10 (2 Gen 1s and my present Gen 2) and they are all the same. It is one of the very few criticisms I have of the bike.

I tend to use the centre stand but when I'm on the Euro Tunnel train I always stand beside the bike, I just don't trust the lack of lean

So far however, none of my bikes have gone over:hide

Mike

Attachments

• 32  Croatia &  Italy - Copy.jpg
    32 Croatia & Italy - Copy.jpg
    246.4 KB · Views: 348

Back
Top Bottom