1290 SAS luggage

daviedevs

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
The better half has insisted we get metal panniers for the bike if we buy it. Is the KTM stuff ok or are we better looking elsewhere?

Not looked at latest KTM stuff, now Touratech, with the 1190 it was re-branded Givi Trekker Outback which are very good, very large and very wide (I have a pair for sale if anyone wants some)

I have also used Holans on my 1290, these are narrower, even at similar sizes to the Givi, but do not hold quite as much (cutout on one side) and the puck system gets in the way a little bit.

SW Motech Trax are also pretty good with excellent quick release rails available and also do not have internal pucks.

Overall I think the Outbacks are the nicest panniers I have ever used, only considering selling to fund a spare set of larger Holans so I don't have to swap the rails over each time I switch from a lads trip to a trip with the Mrs.

My SW Motech panniers are great but so wide on the frames - makes my SAS wider than my old GS!

SQfKgj.jpg

So I have got some £59 LOMO soft panniers and they seem a lot better

jeD4kE.jpg

Hj4fca.jpg

My SW Motech panniers are great but so wide on the frames - makes my SAS wider than my old GS!

So I have got some £59 LOMO soft panniers and they seem a lot better

Do you leave them on the bike all the time?

No - but when they are on it makes filtering iffy - compared to my old GS!

I am leaving the soft LOMO panniers on - handy for shopping too!

Do you not find the lomo bags a bit saggy, either when empy or with a decent bit of weight in them? How are you attaching them?

I found for two people on one bike we need large panniers, had the 37 / 45 SW Motech Trax and 37 / 48 Givi on the KTM.

Oddly the Givi 37 is noticeably bigger than the SW 37 (The SW inner bag sits in it with a small gap all around)

Both are WIDE, but that only ever affected me on the M25 getting to the tunnel, once in France traffic is never an issue for me, I avoid big cities so I would rather have enough space for our gear wihout having to pile extra bags on top of panniers / top box.

Also handy to just pull an inner bag out of each pannier when arriving at hotels rather than carry shit / fly covered panniers into the Hotel, and also not to worry about all out gear getting wet.

As the Mrs has her own bike I have now got some Holans in 31/38 sizes which are way more compact, but a lot smaller as the 31L has a cut out so is probably only 26-27L.

This is what I have found online and compared size / vs width

Panniers Width (cm) Litres Ratio (cm/l)
Holan Large Set (45/38) 102 | 79L | 1.29
Trekker Outback (48/37) 112 | | 85 | 1.32
KTM Old (40/30) 96 | 70 | 1.37
Holan Small Set (38/31) 92 | 66 | 1.39
Touratech (38/31) 99 | 68 | 1.46
KTM New (40/30) 104 | 70 | 1.49

So the HUGE trekkers actually stack up well if you look at the width - capacity ratio (I have knocked a few L off the capacity of cut-out panniers) if you want narrow then Holans are king - but good luck getting all the gear for two people into them.

If anyone wants some huge Givi (KTM BRanded) I might flog mine at a fair price (not giveaway as I currently fit them for trips with Mrs and Holans for solo, but could get by with just Holans as she has a huge top box and can carry a tank bag - but with the Givi's we actually leave the Top Boxes almost empty for storing helmets or picking up some food / water to carry to Hotel at end of the day)

They are quite stiff and when you squeeze the air out and fasten the straps they stay flat. Yes they are a bit saggy but they serve a purpose and its handy having them available. They attach with three heady duty velcro straps over the top and I use elasticated straps to hold them flat to the pannier frames

Are the SW Motech Trax not waterproof ?
Need to get some panniers as sold my old Bumots.
Loved the Bumots but quite like the idea of the SW pro carriers being removable .
The Bumot frames are quite an eyesore when permanently on the bike.

The Powerparts (Touratech) are superb and waterproof. Well made and easy to take on and off plus you can off course strap bags on top.

With regard to the Touratech ally boxes, how much of a faff is it to fit and dismantle the frames ?
I’m assuming the frames will need to stay on ?
I like the look of the black KTM/Touratwat panniers, plus I can get them cheap ish but the frames are ugly, probably more sticky out than the Bumots…..

Consider the SW-Motech, had these in the past and they are fairly good, but their Quick Release racks are really neat if you don't like driving around with Scaffolding all the time.

Had them on 2 bikes and really rate them.

Consider the SW-Motech, had these in the past and they are fairly good, but their Quick Release racks are really neat if you don't like driving around with Scaffolding all the time.

Had them on 2 bikes and really rate them.

Yes I’m looking at the Sw Motech with Trax panniers.
The jury is out.Ta

The SW inner bags used to be really good and fairly priced, luckily when I sold the S10 boxes I kept them as they fitted fairly well inside my Givi Trackers, these days they are still used for short overnight stops and weekends away in car, almost a decade old and still in great condition.

Unlikely to get a new bike for another year or three - so I better start trying to engage with Holan now ;-)

For me it would be a toss up between OE / Holan / SW for the 2021.

The SW inner bags used to be really good and fairly priced, luckily when I sold the S10 boxes I kept them as they fitted fairly well inside my Givi Trackers, these days they are still used for short overnight stops and weekends away in car, almost a decade old and still in great condition.

Unlikely to get a new bike for another year or three - so I better start trying to engage with Holan now ;-)

For me it would be a toss up between OE / Holan / SW for the 2021.

Thread duplication as replied on another thread .
Anyway , I’ve gone for the SW Motech Trax Adv panniers in black, with the quick release pro carrier system , as well as cargo nets for lids and the inner bags , along with a micro and larger tank bag. Thought I may as well get it on one go as got VAT knocked off and only £25 delivery for the lot

a72095296ba83795b4ab04bfc809e6de.jpg

03cda68ef16fc754f2e8d1d682a28d06.png

4eca36d71517beef60c614e9aabc47dc.png

Back
Top Bottom