Ideas Please:

How about getting fucked Up on a Navajo reservation? Is that recommended?

Navajo reservations are alcohol free. I don't know their policy on other recreational goodies.
Sounds the same as the reservations in Canada, there the Indians come into the towns on Friday, drink themselves into a stupor for 2 days and drive home on Monday, the local hotel in Radisson, Quebec has special rooms they just hose down when they leave!!! They have a generous income from the Hydro power stations on their lands.

I'm at a Conference in Las Vegas in January - it concludes on the Wednesday Afternoon -

Just as an aside, and I can't help wondering....in these days of cost cuttings and corporate paranoia about carbon footprints and stuff, and the increasing use of video meetings and suchlike, what sort of conference is it and just how important to a business is it for you to end up going to Las Vegas for it ?
Just thinking of the costs and logistics of it.
Or is it a personal interest thing?

Nothing beats pressing the flesh, sharing a story over a beer and getting incriminating photos of a competitor with a male hooker to help build a bond

I used to (between about 1999 and 2010) present training courses in LV for the University of Wisconsin, 2-3 times a year. Having tried Orlando and San Francisco in 1999 & 2000, we got about twice the bookings in Vegas, so that remained the venue for the next 9 years.

After being totally gobsmacked on my first visit, I quickly realised it was not my kind of place and I needed to escape.

The Prof. who organised the courses was happy to pay for a couple of extra hotel nights, as the airfare flying home on Sunday was less than half the cost of a weekday flight. One of my co-presenters, who was based in North Carolina, felt the same and was also a biker so, when we had time and a few dollars spare, we would tack a weekend road-trip onto the course.

The first time, we could only find Harleys to rent, which are fine on the highways, but not so good in the twisties. We returned with about 1,200 miles on the trip in 3 days and told the rental guy they were running too rich for the elevation (LV is about 2,000 feet ASL and we were probably up to twice that in the mountains). He was pissed off with us, as we had put about 10x the mileage on his bikes than the average customers, who typically just posed up & down the strip :D

The next time, we rented 1800cc Goldwings, which were surprisingly nimble and very comfortable, but really too big.

Finally, we found a small place that rented us a BMW 650 and a Bonneville - far more suitable and about half the price :thumb I can't remember the company, but it was more than 10 years ago. I wonder if they grew into something like this (no connection, just found via a swift Google)?
https://www.eurocyclelasvegas.com/

Anyhoo...
Head north-East on I15 into Utah. When you get to Cedar City and beyond, say to Beaver, there are many excellent mountain roads to your right. Join the dots and find a circular route back to Vegas, via the Grand Canyon and I40 if you have time.

Take many layers of clothing. We set off from LV in 100 degree heat and woke up to frost-covered bikes the following morning in cabins near Bryce Canyon (highly recommended).

Sorry I don't have more details, but I can probably dig out some photos :)

We went to the Grand Canyon in an RV at the end of January 2014 and it was snowing and below freezing so just bear that in mind. Weather was fine in Vegas and just a little cold at the Hoover Adam :rolleyes:

If you do the Hoover Dam, before you reach the dam there is a parking area so you can then walk onto the I93 bridge (you can see the shadow of it in the photo below) which overlooks the dam - the best view IMHO. The bridge deck is 890 feet above the river! Afterwards you can carry on down to the dam itself.

For scale, the dam wall is 725 feet tall.....and you look down on it.

29749710133_25f02b88d6_c_d.jpg

Valley of Fire is good as noted above.

Hackberry (NW of Kingman) is on the old Route 66 and an interesting stop. Seligman has the Roadkill Cafe (it's really normal beef!), then at Williams go North to the South Rim of the Grand Canyon. If you go East from there, make sure to stop at Little Colorado Canyon just before the junction at Cameron. A short walk to look over the vertical cliff face.

Then North to Page or South to Flagstaff ( not really that good). Meteor Crater at Winslow may be too far.

If you get North to Page, AZ (may be a stretch but Horseshoe Bend is there too) take the tour of Lower Antelope Canyon (book early?). Incredible.

43511979800_6fc12edafa_c_d.jpg

Weather can be fickle - pack for hot, cold, wet and dry!

Have you PM'ed Sgt. Bilco? He'll know best.

Enjoy.

A

Thanks for all the great ideas guys - looks like I’ve gained a little more time Wednesday lunch till Saturday lunch 3 full days

I’m thinking - Hoover Dam - South Rim GC then North East to Monument Valley / looping over the top back west to Vegas - it’s 1,100 miles in three days...

I’ll plot a more detailed route!

Today I booked my Saturday to Tuesday at The Cosmopolitan- luckily that’s expensed as over a $1000 / Wednesday to Friday will be cheap motels!!!

make sure to stop at Little Colorado Canyon
Just here
Better than the Grand Canyon I thought. Very hard to get your head around the sheer scale of GC

If you loop north & around the top then the detour to the North Rim is an option. Much quieter than the southside

Canyon de Chelly was stunning too but prob a bit too far west in the time you have.
Similarity the run up the 141 from Naturita to Gateway & back, still one of very best days on a bike, is that bit too far. For this trip... :D

The Burr Trail is beautiful too.

8be886f055fb72f0fa5fd2b2f4828c56.jpg

Might be a bit far but head north into Utah after the GC and ride up the Burr Trail then via Bryce Canyon and Zion National Park.

We stayed here in Boulder, at the top of the Burr Trail and it was beautiful :

d5abe5dabee6473109271d4f25c19f9d.jpg

Might be a bit far but head north into Utah after the GC and ride up the Burr Trail then via Bryce Canyon and Zion National Park.

I was going to suggest Zion and Bryce Canyon too, but the're too cold in January if travelling by bike IMHO. Both a stunningly beautiful though and I'd go there anyway, just by car instead :bow

Thanks for all the great ideas guys - looks like I’ve gained a little more time Wednesday lunch till Saturday lunch 3 full days

I’m thinking - Hoover Dam - South Rim GC then North East to Monument Valley / looping over the top back west to Vegas - it’s 1,100 miles in three days...

I’ll plot a more detailed route!

Today I booked my Saturday to Tuesday at The Cosmopolitan- luckily that’s expensed as over a $1000 / Wednesday to Friday will be cheap motels!!!

If you are looping north then I'd recommend the Broken Spur Inn & Steakhouse in Torrey at the beginning of UT12 and the Bumbleberry Inn in Springdale (Zion NP entrance)

I was going to suggest Zion and Bryce Canyon too, but the're too cold in January if travelling by bike IMHO. Both a stunningly beautiful though and I'd go there anyway, just by car instead :bow

Not always !

I was there January 2017 and day time temps were in double figures.

16 degrees there today....

But that's unusual as it's normally around +9 max / -5 min in Zion and in January Bryce is +2 max / -12 min due to its altitude. An SUV makes more sense, especially if there's snow too. The photos with snow do make it look even more spectacular though :beerjug:

Back
Top Bottom