Not happy with ContiTrailAttack 3

Thanks Giles, I tend to like a firm tyre pressure so I'll let the pressure drop a bit and see how that works out.

I’ve got CTA3’s on a 1200lc and they’re fine. Breath of fresh air after Anakee 3’s. Running standard tyre pressures. Having said that tyres and confidence can be a very personal thing. Good luck in your search for the perfect tyre!

Me thinks that's the issue, after 4 years on Tourance Nexts a change of tyre has taken me by surprise. The weather hasn't given me the chance to really get a feel for them, so I'll give them a good run in better weather.

After reading some of these posts, I feel like I must ride like a wuss.
I have the previous Trail Attack 2s on my GSA, which were a much more open tread pattern I think, but have never felt the front end was vague. I’ve had the rear squirrel about and traction control kick in, but never the front. I would have thought the “3” would be a much improved tyre over the “2” as well. Everybody’s riding style is different from body position to the way one might tip into a corner, it’s probably as simple as that. They are a good tyre, but if your confidence is taking a knock, for the sake of a few hundred quid (less if you sell the used ones on here), I’d go back to what you know
Cheers
Dave

Just to throw another tyre into the mix. I fitted Pirelli Scorpion trail 2 to my 15 GSW and it’s the best tyre I’ve ever had, it’s very confidence inspiring, good feedback and excellent grip, way better than the previous CTA 2 that I had on before. I ride mostly in the mountains on twisty uphill and down dale type roads. As I stated before the Grip is exceptional.

Just to throw another tyre into the mix. I fitted Pirelli Scorpion trail 2 to my 15 GSW and it’s the best tyre I’ve ever had, it’s very confidence inspiring, good feedback and excellent grip, way better than the previous CTA 2 that I had on before. I ride mostly in the mountains on twisty uphill and down dale type roads. As I stated before the Grip is exceptional.

Never tried them as of yet and will give them a go , Dunlop are also bringing a new tyre to the table in the new year based more on 100% road , based on the Sportmax style . This I think will be directed to the sports side more than the mixed types. looking forward to them arriving and giving them a go.

Never tried them as of yet and will give them a go , Dunlop are also bringing a new tyre to the table in the new year based more on 100% road , based on the Sportmax style . This I think will be directed to the sports side more than the mixed types. looking forward to them arriving and giving them a go.

I'm a big fan of the ST2's also and they're probably going to replace the OEM A41's which actually have been pretty good too.

Stick, look forward to reading your tyre write-up of those and the new Dunlops :thumb2

What is not to like about the Conti Trail Attacks 3 ?
Very confidence inspiring showing 50 degree max lean on the NAV6...:thumby:
My new favorite replacing the Pirelli Scorpion Trail 2.
Only critique is the more rapid wear on the rear where the Pirelli lasted a little < 1000 miles longer...

What is not to like about the Conti Trail Attacks 3 ?
Very confidence inspiring showing 50 degree max lean on the NAV6...:thumby:
My new favorite replacing the Pirelli Scorpion Trail 2.
Only critique is the more rapid wear on the rear where the Pirelli lasted a little < 1000 miles longer...

I have heard the same that the PST suddenly goes off , but still willing to give them a go . Conti TA3 brilliant tyres

Stick what do you mean with the PST2 will suddenly go off ?
Running hard in turns or tire wear ?
Have you tried the Conti RA3 and if how do you rate them in comparison to the TA3 ?
I love the TA3 except for rear tire wear ! Running hard you will see 5K max while the front will outlast another rear tire.

Question re the TA3 rear tyre: is it faster turning than the PST2, or is it as slow as the RA3?

The CTA3 are the fastest turning tires I ever ran on my GS...I love how it handles better than some sports tires I ran on pure streetbikes.The only critique is the accelerated wear on the rear.Maybe next I try ROAD modus instead of DYNAMIC PRO which probably lets the rear tire spin more before the TC cuts in which eats rubber...Got 4000 miles and then nursed it home in RAIN mode...;)
Now will put on a rear because the front still looks VERY good :thumb2

Have you tried the PR5? The rear PR5 is the fastest turning rear tyre I know of on the GS. It is not possible to get to the edges of the PR5 as the pegs touch down with about 1cm to go...

The PR5 can't measure up to the CTA3 ; not as grippy in dry or rain , not as quick steering and after 2000 miles the front was done...:(
Not a fan of Michelin or Bridgestone; IMHO the PST2 was the King since it came out in 2015 but now the CTA3 feels even better.Just wish the industry could bake a tire that lasts a season or 7-10000 miles without holding back too much...
4-5000 miles is a nuisance especially if you are on a holiday trip and maybe in a country where you can't get replacement.

I have heard the same that the PST suddenly goes off , but still willing to give them a go . Conti TA3 brilliant tyres

Weird isn't it ? I found that they have the most consistent grip right through their life.
They do not have the outright edge grip compaired to the CTA3 or PR5 when pushed HARD in the higher temps you get in Spain. Riding in the UK you will never get chance to ride as you can on the Continent, as such I think they are the best tyre for the GS for road riding in the UK.
If you ride smoothly you can play with the grip because they have so much feedback telling you are starting to go into the red zone and don't take the piss.
They are not a fast turning tyre but, because of the confidence they give , you can just throw the bike on it's ear wet or dry on all sorts of crappy surfaces due to the soft carcass. Descent mileage too, I love them.

I always used Conti Trail Attacks on my old 1150 until I had issues with 2 front tyres which had twisted carcasses so went onto other brands .
About 4 years later put a pair of TA 2's on my then year old 2011 R1200GSA and again had an issue with a faulty front tyre (its replacement was fine)
Have avoided Conti tyres since then although have ridden a couple of R1200GS WC loan bikes on TA 3's with no issue although it was in dry mid summer conditions.
Stick to Dunlops nowadays

ST2 came as standard on the multi

I have never before liked the OE fit tyres on any bike but these seem to be bloody brilliant

Obviously i have not pushed them in any decent conditions yet but so far on the shitty roads i have ridden they have felt very confidence inspiring

Uses odd pressures though at 36 front and back which is a novelty !

A few months ago I changed my worn Metzler Tourance Next tyres on my 2014 R1200 GS LC (non-Adventure, alloy wheels) for ContiTrailAttack 3. I was very happy with the Metzlers but a friend, an Adventure rider, urged me to try ContiTrailAttack 3.

Since then my riding confidence has taken a dive, the bike's front end feels too light, it feels like I'm not getting enough feedback, it just doesn't feel planted in corners. It's like the bike's cornering dynamics have changed for the worse.

I was wondering it anyone else has had a similar experience. I wonder if it my imagination, it's me who's not run these tyres long enough to get used to them? Or is this not the right tyre for the bike (or for me)?

Any thoughts on this would be very welcome.

Just ride the thing and stop over thinking

I don't think he is over thinking it at all . tyres are a funny things , I have a set of Nexts that will stay semi used (500 miles )in the shed as I just don't like them for some reason . Its a feel thing not a thought process.
I have tried so many brands and all have there pros and cons , so yes , just ride it , but be happy with your choice , if not change until you get the rite tyre to suit your riding.
Tyres can be credited to suit different situations and requirements , its wise to choose the correct one and perhaps read how folks have found them , weigh up the comments and try a set.

Jetjock too say it bluntly...the TA3 will still stick when the pegs scrape with the suspension set on max.
And yes they are very quick steering...it is all in your head !
Be happy don't worry...:comfort

Back
Top Bottom