Not happy with ContiTrailAttack 3

I have to correct myself...After this weekend I think the CTA3 are better/more confidence inspiring than the PST2 ! According to NAV6 52 vs 47 degree lean angle fast road riding...Mileage is the same but interesting fact the Conti is 25% cheaper...The Conti consumes 1 front every 2 rears while the Pirellis pretty much were wearing at the same rate. But still will try the CRA3 to refresh my memory how they stack up compared to the CTA3...All very good tires !

Only done a few hundred miles on my CTA3s,fitted on two different bikes.
Not warming to them much yet.Much better feel from the Pirelli Scorpion Rally STRs that I had previously.

Arsey you can't even compare a semi dirt tire like the PRSTR with a full on street tire like the CTA3...Just stick it into a 30 mph turn with 75 mph and you will warm up to the Contis quick...lean her over , trust your rubber...:D

Only done a few hundred miles on my CTA3s,fitted on two different bikes.
Not warming to them much yet.Much better feel from the Pirelli Scorpion Rally STRs that I had previously.
Sorry , but bollox , a block tyre compared to a 90% road tyre , come on . Or perhaps your just pottering so any tyre would feel good . Arsey are you just being a .........

Arsey you can't even compare a semi dirt tire like the PRSTR with a full on street tire like the CTA3...Just stick it into a 30 mph turn with 75 mph and you will warm up to the Contis quick...lean her over , trust your rubber...:D

A ‘full on street tire’ ?

Is that why they called it Continental TRAIL Attack ????

You’re obviously getting mixed up with the ROAD Attack,which strangely enough is designed for the road/street !

Sorry , but bollox , a bock tyre compared to a 90% road tyre , come on . Or perhaps your just pottering so any tyre would feel good . Arsey are you just being a .........

Have you ever ridden a bike fitted with STRs?

Im guessing not otherwise you wouldn’t be making stupid assumptions....

I've just put Conti Trail Attack 3s on, its still early days yet, only done about 350 miles on them. First impressions are that whilst they are an excelent tyre, with plenty of grip, not yet convinced that they are better than the Scorpion Trail 2s that I had on before. As I said, its still early days yet.

I think they are similar , not tried a set yet but have heard good things , plus it’s a more roads focused tyre than , an and STR yesra

Stick , Arsey was plottering on some unpaved road going to a sandy beach to look for clams...;) Here I probably would prefer the "feel" of the nobs too...:D
Arsey don't believe all what you read...The CTA3 is a full on street tire with all the stick you can use and need on the street that looks a little adventurous when you follow the lines...It also has a couple more mm tread debt that a regular sport-touring tire which gives you 1000 or 2000 more miles as a bonus.But what you say is that you can run 100m faster in hiking boots than a jogging shoe !

Stick , Arsey was plottering on some unpaved road going to a sandy beach to look for clams...;) Here I probably would prefer the "feel" of the nobs too...:D
Arsey don't believe all what you read...The CTA3 is a full on street tire with all the stick you can use and need on the street that looks a little adventurous when you follow the lines...It also has a couple more mm tread debt that a regular sport-touring tire which gives you 1000 or 2000 more miles as a bonus.But what you say is that you can run 100m faster in hiking boots than a jogging shoe !

I don’t believe what I read.
I’ve done over 8000 miles on STRs in the last year or so and so far the CTA3s are a let down.
Previously had CTA2s for many years on a few bikes and the 3s don’t seem to be an improvement.

Obviously I’m talking about normal riding and not at 58 degrees lean and 138 mph everywhere........

A ‘full on street tire’ ?

Is that why they called it Continental TRAIL Attack ????

You’re obviously getting mixed up with the ROAD Attack,which strangely enough is designed for the road/street !

Have you ever ridden a bike fitted with STRs?

Im guessing not otherwise you wouldn’t be making stupid assumptions....

I have , and as good as they were , they had limits .
Limits that were obvious due to the design .
They are an off road focused tyre , not a road focused tyre so the maths don’t work , no matter how much you wish them to .
I know you wish they did , but the don’t , never will do . Sorry 😐
The trail attack 3 is a tyre you can take off road but no further than a gravel drive , the str will so much more , you know that right 👍

I have , and as good as they were , they had limits .
Limits that were obvious due to the design .
They are an off road focused tyre , not a road focused tyre so the maths don’t work , no matter how much you wish them to .
I know you wish they did , but the don’t , never will do . Sorry
The trail attack 3 is a tyre you can take off road but no further than a gravel drive , the str will so much more , you know that right

Yup.
Had to fit CTA3s as the front tyre size in STR was out of stock in whole of Europe . Shame.

Arsey you make me laugh...So you recommend a tire like the Scorpion Rally that is neither good for fast roadriding,wears quick doing so and still sucks if you would need a off road tire like in sand or mud...I guess looks/image is all what counts nowadays...At least the CTA3 is real good on the tarmac as far as fast road-riding.On the track it will be probably toast after 15 min...;) One more curious fact...The CTA3 was not even bad on a quarter inch sand...I was wandering where the sand was coming from that flew on my visor...The front wheel picked it up and threw it through the opening at the steering head...:thumb On the PST2 that never happened.I wonder why they also offer the CRA3 as both tires felt the same to me...Same as very good but that was a long 2 years ago on my then 2017 R1200GSA-TB...Arsey the best Conti for you is probably the TKC70 front and TKC70 Rocks rear as they give you the best feel as in feeling most adventurous...on those sandy beach trails in Brighton looking for clams and birds...;)

Yup I’d recommend the STR to any normal person . It’s a bit noisy but other than that it’s by far the best tyre I’ve had on 21/18 wheels on an adventure bike in the last 15 years .
For a faux adventure bike stick with your Road Attacks . Much better for riding to Mexico at 138 mph .

I’ve actually got TKC70s on my GS as it came with them fitted . I like them .

Arsey , mark the calendar the day has finally come where we agree on something...:beerjug: Look forward to ride the Baja with you & Stick...:thumb2 But do yourself a favor and buy a new 1250 before...:D

Arsey , mark the calendar the day has finally come where we agree on something...:beerjug: Look forward to ride the Baja with you & Stick...:thumb2 But do yourself a favor and buy a new 1250 before...:D

Not a fucking chance !
I’ll bring my GS over with it’s 500 mile range and TKC70s.
Proper Gs . No SOS button though :)

No SOS button in the colonies either...;)
If you bring the G/S Dakar you have to ride with Nick Sanders...:D As I don't want to sit on the bike all day but get there quick and then have a good dish and cold beverages...

If the lean angle indicator on the NAV6 doesn't lie the CTA3 give the most confidence...50 degree L/A while my former fav's PST2 where mostly around 47 degree max on similar roads/rides...But here is where I'm not with Stick...I love the CRA3 just as much but he is right the CTA3 are slightly quicker steering but I would bet on a trackday the RA3 probably would have the edge over the TA3 due to compound that is made for a slightly higher temperature window...As for mileage the front of the TA3 outlast the RA3 but the rears wore the same if I remember right.Same with the ST2 rear tire.

Having lauded the PST2 in the past (gone through about 5/6 sets of them), I recently changed to Metzeler Karoo Streets in search of better off-road grip (on occasion) and as an experiment. They are very noisy (in comparison to the PST2), but otherwise really grippy and fine for fast road riding on tarmac with great turn-initiation and transition from edge to edge. The compounds of these latest silica-rich tyres are superb in wet and dry. Carcass shape and sidewall stiffness are so important for inspiring confidence, and this is where the greatest differences are between tyres imho. Anecdotally (not that it matters) I have ridden the PST2 to 51degrees of lean with no loss of grip, so Boxerlust you were still leaving a couple degrees on the table when you say you could only get to 47 ;-)

And with regards to the CRA3, they're crap in comparison. A slow and steady tyre.

Spareparts I'm still learning and quiet a lot to go as Marqez does 66 degrees...;)
I have the ADV suspension set on max and the BMW Gilles Tooling pegs and the sliders start touching...so I think/guess on track 53/54 degrees is the theoretical limit...:D But the funny thing is I don't think even about lean and hang off to go for less lean but still come up with some numbers not to be ashamed off...But what I tried to say really the PST2 where my favorite tires for the last 5 years but the CTA3 gave ne even more confidence !

Myself and a mate fitted CTA3’s to 2 KTM 790 Adventures. Great for cornering and in the wet. Downright appalling in a straight line, the bike wanders and tram lines like the wheel bearings are shot. Horrible. Tyres coming off both bikes tomorrow after less than a thousand miles each.

They may work well on a GS but don’t suit the 790. I’ve heard of another person with the same complaint.

They are quick steering for sure and not very stable...But nothing dangerous.The CRA3 if I remember right was more stable but needed more pressure on the bars in turns.But the 790 KTM is a different bike and not that quick steering to begin so I would have thought the CTA3 would have made it more fun to ride.

Interesting. I've done around 1K miles on a set of CTA3s on a 1200GSA after a diet of Michelin PR4 and R5s. Compared to the Michelins the CTAs feel better in the wet and on the bends but at motorway speeds things start to get a bit flighty in a straight line (to the point of feeling like it's about to start a weave). Get into a bend and everything tightens up until the next straight bit when it gets all light again. One proviso though - the bike's always got panniers and top box on and the panniers are usually laden. As I'm on the light side it's possible there simply isn't enough weight on the front for the CTA3s - things do seem to get better with a full tank. Tyre pressures are standard.

Back
Top Bottom