Not happy with ContiTrailAttack 3

Spareparts I'm still learning and quiet a lot to go as Marqez does 66 degrees...;)
I have the ADV suspension set on max and the BMW Gilles Tooling pegs and the sliders start touching...so I think/guess on track 53/54 degrees is the theoretical limit...:D But the funny thing is I don't think even about lean and hang off to go for less lean but still come up with some numbers not to be ashamed off...But what I tried to say really the PST2 where my favorite tires for the last 5 years but the CTA3 gave ne even more confidence !

I have not tried the CTA3 yet, and will do so one day. Ever since the CRA3, however, when everyone said they were brilliant... and they were terrible imho that I actually took them off and sold them here after a tankful... Pirelli remain my favourite manufacturer of bike tyres having used them the most on previous bikes.

I religiously used Tourances on my 1150 and at first on the 1200 until I fitted CTA ( I think it was the 2 might’ve been the 3s it was 2013) and they were a revelation. Great grip wet or dry, quick to turn but for me the best bit was the way the handled perfectly right up until the end whereas the Tourance would square and tramilne badly well before it was worn out.

Interesting. I've done around 1K miles on a set of CTA3s on a 1200GSA after a diet of Michelin PR4 and R5s. Compared to the Michelins the CTAs feel better in the wet and on the bends but at motorway speeds things start to get a bit flighty in a straight line (to the point of feeling like it's about to start a weave). Get into a bend and everything tightens up until the next straight bit when it gets all light again. One proviso though - the bike's always got panniers and top box on and the panniers are usually laden. As I'm on the light side it's possible there simply isn't enough weight on the front for the CTA3s - things do seem to get better with a full tank. Tyre pressures are standard.

I've just returned from doing the NC500 with a mate, both on 1250's and only difference was he was running CTA2's/alloys/panniers and I was on spokey dokeys/CTA3's/topbox.

We ride together a lot at the same speed and have similar experiences and the only comment from the whole trip where that differed after almost 3K of fun was similarly he felt the front felt light at higher speed but was fine everywhere else wet & dry. No such problem for me with topbox and small bag tied to it on the rear seat. His modest 36L per side panniers were likely the culprit.

Like Boxerlust my favorite tyre was PST2, but after really enjoying mixed conditions 100% of the time my allegiance has swung to the CTA3's.

There are so many good tyres available and I *hate* getting wrapped around the axel thinking I'm being smart doing lots of reading up about what tyre to get next. It's simps now .. just order another pair of CTA3's :thumb2

Well, until the next best thing comes out :augie.

I have not tried the CTA3 yet, and will do so one day. Ever since the CRA3, however, when everyone said they were brilliant... and they were terrible imho that I actually took them off and sold them here after a tankful... Pirelli remain my favourite manufacturer of bike tyres having used them the most on previous bikes.

With you on the CRA3 , awful , the CTA3 however is a great tyre and different from the Road version. Pity your not close to me as i could have lent you my spare wheel set to try as they have a newish set on so you could compare.:thumb2

With you on the CRA3 , awful , the CTA3 however is a great tyre and different from the Road version. Pity your not close to me as i could have lent you my spare wheel set to try as they have a newish set on so you could compare.:thumb2

That is very kind of you, thank you.

I am happy running the Karoos from now through the winter as they are also M+S marked tyres. Road biased 90/10 tyres (PST2/CTA3) are totally useless in mud and slush/snow like conditions when they are plain dangerous and as useful as slicks. Then again, a car is often the preferred chariot in winter!

One thing about the "awful" CRA3 which I loved on my ex R9T and a lot of friends love on their S1000XRs as sport tires for road riding giving as much traction as sport tires on the street but lasting 4000 instead of 2000 miles...Tourenfahrer magazine ran a test on dry pavement on the Contidrom with all available tires for/on the R1250GS and gave time/cornerspeed in a tight and long/fast turn...The CRA3 came on top as the fastest tire with most dry traction only beat by a slick Conti had made for fun in GS1250 sizes ! The CTA3 was faster in the chicane with means it steers quicker and had more tread debt so should last longer theoretically.High speed stability was not as good but also not good on MPR5 which did not even score in the turns.Also the Michelin Anakee whatever and Bridgestone that come stock with the GS scored very low...The Michelin was good in the rain though and the only good thing about the Bridgestone that was neither good in dry or rain was high speed stability...going 130mph + with bags.

I'm looking to replace the tyres on my 1250 GS in the near future. I don't like the O.E. Bridgestone A41's at all, especially the drone from the front tyre, although it may be accentuated by the Puig screen reflecting the noise back towards the rider ?
From reading the opinions of others I think I have narrowed it down to either PST-2 or CTA-3, does anyone know which of these 2 are the quietest and give the most mileage. Asside from the racket I was also disappointed in the life of the Bridgestone A41 front tyre, the depth of tread looked half worn out when new ! The rear still has loads of life in it though, as others have commented probably 2 fronts to 1 rear (unless you are Stick). Thanks in advance. Suppose I best get them fitted soon before we can't go to tyre fitters due to Covid .

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

One thing about the "awful" CRA3 which I loved on my ex R9T and a lot of friends love on their S1000XRs as sport tires for road riding giving as much traction as sport tires on the street but lasting 4000 instead of 2000 miles...Tourenfahrer magazine ran a test on dry pavement on the Contidrom with all available tires for/on the R1250GS and gave time/cornerspeed in a tight and long/fast turn...The CRA3 came on top as the fastest tire with most dry traction only beat by a slick Conti had made for fun in GS1250 sizes ! The CTA3 was faster in the chicane with means it steers quicker and had more tread debt so should last longer theoretically.High speed stability was not as good but also not good on MPR5 which did not even score in the turns.Also the Michelin Anakee whatever and Bridgestone that come stock with the GS scored very low...The Michelin was good in the rain though and the only good thing about the Bridgestone that was neither good in dry or rain was high speed stability...going 130mph + with bags.
This is all very subjective of course, but I’ve done thousands of miles on CRA3’s and really rate them. As I said some time back on here: I ordered CRA3’s but TrailAttacks were fitted by mistake. I found them to be very stiff on the sidewalls and reluctant to turn in. Was glad to get the correct as ordered CRA3’s fitted.
Most of my riding is two up with luggage. Cheers

As for PST2 vs CTA3 I would give the Conti a slight edge...Both very good but the Conti fronts last longer (2-3 fronts to 1 rear , the rear lasting as long as the Pirelli) very quiet and quick steering (quicker than Pirelli).
As for the RA3 vs TA3 I will try the RA3 one more time as I never tried the RA3 on the 1250 but 1200...I remember them as very good traction and fun to ride but a little slower steering but more stable at high speeds compared to the TA3...but that was 2 years ago so my memories are not fresh and tire wear you can't compare one tire on the 1200 compared to the 1250 because the 1250 has so much more TORQUE which is detrimental to tire life...:D But my guess is the TA3 probably last a little longer than the RA3 because of more tread debt on the rear and slightly different as in harder compound geared towards more mileage...As it looks on the 1250 the front should be good for 12000 miles and the rears 4000-5000 miles ridden fast but smooth.

maybe you should have persevered with the cra3s as mine are getting better with use. true, they are just on a vstrom 650 and do tend to grab ridges in the tarmac but they grip well.

I had a nice ride today up in the mountain's, I have to say that I'm warming to the CTA3, they are as confidence inspiring as my previous PST2, and they do seem to turn in a tad quicker, which makes the GS a nice flickable bike in the twistys.

maybe you should have persevered with the cra3s as mine are getting better with use. true, they are just on a vstrom 650 and do tend to grab ridges in the tarmac but they grip well.

No need to persevere with them. On the 3 mile ride back from the fitting station I knew it was a mistake already. Slow turning at the rear. Ponderous and heavy, although no doubt the rear tyre has a large footprint at very modest rates of lean.

I've not heard bad things about the Trail Attack 3 in fact it's one of the more popular Adv tyres.

But it is interesting to note how different riders on the same bikes can have very different opinions on the same tyres.

If the rest of the UK is anything like London (where I do most of my riding), the roads are far greasier at the moment than I can ever remember and we're seeing way more punctures than before too.

Initially impressed with but now having covered 2000 miles on CTA3 I won’t be having them again as they are to vague at higher speeds. I’ve have some unsettling snaking action when crossing white lines and black snake lines. Great grip and handling in the bends both on dry and wet roads and making U turns in the road is so much easier. I can ride them to the edge of the tyre but it’s just they are too flighty and vague for me at straight line speed.
They also cause the bike to start to snake when throttling off from higher speeds ie 90 mph so not really stupidly high speeds. It maybe my weight of 85kg just doesn’t suit but I doubt it. This is all with top box only. I’ve also tried altering the pressure but it hasn’t cured it. I previously had Pilot Road Trail 5 which were great and had none of the above issues were but quite noisy.
I will now be looking for a tyre that has all the grip and quietness of the CTA3’s but stable at the higher speeds.
Suggestions welcome.

Totally agree.

Done 700 miles on mine now in Spain and whilst they grip well,I dont like the lack of feedback from the front and the front feels very light and less planted than the Pirelli Scorpion STRs that I had on my ATAS previously.

Despite the blocky appearance of the STRs , I much preferred their handling on road.

Yet to venture offroad with the CTA3s

Periodically I have issues my ears and can’t wear ear plugs so I’m interested in quiet tyres. Current bike is 1250GSA. Not sure if a GS sucks/scoops up the same amount of road noise as a GSA.
Would you consider the Pirelli Scorpion STRs to be a quiet tyre?

Periodically I have issues my ears and can’t wear ear plugs so I’m interested in quiet tyres. Current bike is 1250GSA. Not sure if a GS sucks/scoops up the same amount of road noise as a GSA.
Would you consider the Pirelli Scorpion STRs to be a quiet tyre?

No it’s quite noisy but otherwise brilliant

Totally agree.

Done 700 miles on mine now in Spain and whilst they grip well,I dont like the lack of feedback from the front and the front feels very light and less planted than the Pirelli Scorpion STRs that I had on my ATAS previously.

Despite the blocky appearance of the STRs , I much preferred their handling on road.

Yet to venture offroad with the CTA3s

What are the CTA fitted to at the moment , strange question but need to ask..

Back
Top Bottom