Not happy with ContiTrailAttack 3

Which bike you mean ?

Africa Twin Adventure Sport.

Grip is fine . I’ve had it right over this week in Asturias but feedback is shite .

Is that a 19 or 21 front as not familiar with Jap crap Just looked , its a 21 , so there is the issue , on a 19 its great and also the GS have better poise on the road as it always has .
A 21 will feel light and also its a different profile to the GS wheels . Not really a useful post as its a Honda not a gs and the original post was for the GS.:comfort

My GSA has Anakee 3,s fitted and they are fine but going back to Conti Trail Attack 3,s when these are worn ... I had them before on my old GS and loved them. :)

Is that a 19 or 21 front as not familiar with Jap crap Just looked , its a 21 , so there is the issue , on a 19 its great and also the GS have better poise on the road as it always has .
A 21 will feel light and also its a different profile to the GS wheels . Not really a useful post as its a Honda not a gs and the original post was for the GS.:comfort

But I had CTA2s on KTM 950SE and then 1290R for over a decade .
21 / 18 wheel set up , same as ATAS.
Great tyres . Much more feel than the CTA3s

But I had CTA2s on KTM 950SE and then 1290R for over a decade .
21 / 18 wheel set up , same as ATAS.
Great tyres . Much more feel than the CTA3s

I always used the TA2 before the new TA3 and ,as you ,loved them but find now the new 3 can be pushed hard and for me has the same feel , but better front , if we were all the same there would be no forums lol 😂

Just ridden back from Edinburgh in heavy rain and the TA3's were excellent and very confidence inspiring

An old thread but still valid. My Anakee 3s, at least on the rear, were really squared off at the rear after 5k miles on my 2015 GS12. I changed them for CTA3s last week and although I’ve only ridden 50 miles so far they feel totally different.
They feel as if the bike has a flat at the rear, sitting lower, and the front end has been kicked out a few degrees whilst wearing a 21in wheel!
I’m sure they’re sticky and will do a great job, plus a lot of it will be me just adjusting to ‘new’ tyres, but didn’t expect such a different feel.

Need to put some more miles on them I guess.

An old thread but still valid. My Anakee 3s, at least on the rear, were really squared off at the rear after 5k miles on my 2015 GS12. I changed them for CTA3s last week and although I’ve only ridden 50 miles so far they feel totally different.
They feel as if the bike has a flat at the rear, sitting lower, and the front end has been kicked out a few degrees whilst wearing a 21in wheel!
I’m sure they’re sticky and will do a great job, plus a lot of it will be me just adjusting to ‘new’ tyres, but didn’t expect such a different feel.

Anakee are more hard on walls, so difference you will feel, I now have Dunlop meridian and also had same feel at beginning.

I find the CTA3 to be pressure sensitive and need a bedding period. I run mine at 34f and 40r.

I find the CTA3 to be pressure sensitive and need a bedding period. I run mine at 34f and 40r.

2.4 / 2.9 Get them hot and 20 miles perfect to be hammered , they don’t really need much unlike other tyres , never had a slide or wobble from brand new . Forgot I had unused tyres from lorry in Spain and went off like a scolded cat , perfect no issues from 0 miles . The CTA 3 really is a great tyre set , not great on mileage but better than most for the plus points that you get .

2.4 / 2.9 Get them hot and 20 miles perfect to be hammered , they don’t really need much unlike other tyres , never had a slide or wobble from brand new . Forgot I had unused tyres from lorry in Spain and went off like a scolded cat , perfect no issues from 0 miles . The CTA 3 really is a great tyre set , not great on mileage but better than most for the plus points that you get .
I weigh 11st, if you weigh 15st thats 4st/25kg difference mainly on the rear tyre, on the front under hard braking. There will be noticeable difference in contact patch size. This will mean slower warm up and increased wear rate as there is less tyre touching the road trying to do the same job I will try another 1psi down front and back and see how it goes.
Riders should experiment with tyre pressures and not treat the manufacturers reccomended pressures as gospel. A 10st solo rider and a fully loaded two up bike do not need the same tyre pressures. Look at the profile of the rear tyre under both load situations one will have barely any tyre touching the road and the other one looking half way to being a car tyre, 42PSI is supposed to work perfectly for both? There are so many variables out there, temperature, weight and altitude mixed up with riding style.
Have a go at experimenting, a pound or two at a time, one tyre at a time.

I weigh 11st, if you weigh 15st thats 4st/25kg difference mainly on the rear tyre, on the front under hard braking. There will be noticeable difference in contact patch size. This will mean slower warm up and increased wear rate as there is less tyre touching the road trying to do the same job I will try another 1psi down front and back and see how it goes.
Riders should experiment with tyre pressures and not treat the manufacturers reccomended pressures as gospel. A 10st solo rider and a fully loaded two up bike do not need the same tyre pressures. Look at the profile of the rear tyre under both load situations one will have barely any tyre touching the road and the other one looking half way to being a car tyre, 42PSI is supposed to work perfectly for both? There are so many variables out there, temperature, weight and altitude mixed up with riding style.
Have a go at experimenting, a pound or two at a time, one tyre at a time.

Not sure about that as i run the same pressures 1 up and 2 up loaded , bike feels the same , I'm 13st 8 wife 9st makes no difference for me . I do however run at 2.4 and 2.8 when in Spain as the roads are hot all day and the riding hard so the slight change does make a difference then , agree tho you need to experiment with pressures if you feel you need to.
This for the CTA 3 tho as i had to try all sorts of pressures with the RT01 , gave up eventually and took them off as the front always felt awful when pushing , no matter what id did i could not get rid of the squirm.

Not sure about that as i run the same pressures 1 up and 2 up loaded , bike feels the same , I'm 13st 8 wife 9st makes no difference for me . I do however run at 2.4 and 2.8 when in Spain as the roads are hot all day and the riding hard so the slight change does make a difference then , agree tho you need to experiment with pressures if you feel you need to.
This for the CTA 3 tho as i had to try all sorts of pressures with the RT01 , gave up eventually and took them off as the front always felt awful when pushing , no matter what id did i could not get rid of the squirm.

Yes squirm is problem with some tire on heavy bikes, with heavy load, and tyre is all confidence, you do not like it must go or you can make mistake.

Yes squirm is problem with some tire on heavy bikes, with heavy load, and tyre is all confidence, you do not like it must go or you can make mistake.

This happened to me when one up no luggage , its the sipes on the front that move around similar to a wet tyre on a dry track , they get hot and start to let go as too many cuts. On a wet day they were better as doing the job they were intended for , moving water.

This happened to me when one up no luggage , its the sipes on the front that move around similar to a wet tyre on a dry track , they get hot and start to let go as too many cuts. On a wet day they were better as doing the job they were intended for , moving water.

Thank you, I feel more clever now, this I did not realise, always learn every day. :beerjug:

Back
Top Bottom