Not happy with ContiTrailAttack 3

godwyn1962

Reaction score
A few months ago I changed my worn Metzler Tourance Next tyres on my 2014 R1200 GS LC (non-Adventure, alloy wheels) for ContiTrailAttack 3. I was very happy with the Metzlers but a friend, an Adventure rider, urged me to try ContiTrailAttack 3.

Since then my riding confidence has taken a dive, the bike's front end feels too light, it feels like I'm not getting enough feedback, it just doesn't feel planted in corners. It's like the bike's cornering dynamics have changed for the worse.

I was wondering it anyone else has had a similar experience. I wonder if it my imagination, it's me who's not run these tyres long enough to get used to them? Or is this not the right tyre for the bike (or for me)?

Any thoughts on this would be very welcome.

Weather and road conditions have changed

In a similar boat, but with different base line

I ran Karoo3's which were way to noisy, and scary in the wet , but dry grp was good.

Changed to Avon Trailriders which were a revelation, bags of grip wet or dry.

Went to change them for another pair a month or so ago, and couldnt get any.

So opted for a pair of Tourances (not nexts by the way)

Total opposite to the Trailriders. They took way to long to get anywhere near scrubbed in. they wander and squirm over road markings.

The front is noisy ( compared to the Trailrider). and they arnt consistant.

Push them hard and they work, but normal riding there like Jekyl and Hide. one minute there stuck like limpets hauling you out of corners, the next there sliding and skittering on damp surfaces.

Personally, i'd like a tyre ive got total confidence in, rather than having to wonder where you are, within it's working envelope

I changed to Trail Attacks 3 and reckon its the best tyres I have had although the ride is certainly different and more like a road tyre feel if you kow what I mean. Drops into corners faster and a more rounded profile than the last ones Ive tried. The roads arent good at the moment which may have something to do with what you think about them.

Are your tyre pressures correct ?
I find them sensitive to pressure changes. If you like a tyre that talks to you then try the Pirelli Scorpion II only bettered in grip by the PR5 and CTA3 but still the best 'feel' tyre.

I’m a big fan of the Tourance Next (had several sets on my old 2014 GS LC), but fitted TA3 to my new 1250 once the awful Anakee Adventures wore out.

I’m impressed with their grip and handling and the chicken strips disappeared in no time. They’re pretty similar to the Tourance Next.

Tyres behave differently! There are different compounds, different profiles, different working temperatures, varying levels of wet grip ... and to add to all the variables, the telelever front end is renowned for its limited feed back to the rider compared to conventional forks. (I personally like the telelever front end .. ).

Some tyres move about quite a bit (but never let go), some tyres don't twitch a muscle at all (but when they do ....they do in a big way and you frighten yourself!).

My advice would be to play with pressures - if you find it particularly vague try dropping just 1 psi and soften it up a tad. You also need to put your mind in a better place. Acknowledge the weather is changing, its colder, its getting to that stage where roads are now constantly damp, and that in itself will be firing up all of our senses and (more often than not unnecessary) concerns. Acknowledge in your head that its a different tyre and that it will behave differently. Embrace its differences and see them as 'how this particular brand of tyre behave' rather than 'I don't like it, it's a shit tyre'. :D

I ordered RoadAttack 3’s but the shop fitted TrailAttack 3’s. The shop suggested I use them whilst awaiting the correct tyres. I found the ride to be very hard and the bike seemed hard to turn. The RoadAttacks seemed much better and seem to be wearing well with good wet and dry grip. Obviously the only off roading I’m likely to do would be just before I go though a hedge.

The current Trail Attack 3 tyres on my GSA are the best tyres I have ever used on any of my GSs. Had them on since the beginning of September, so they have been used in all weathers.

One thing I did find though. When they were first fitted, the tyre shop inflated them to 39psi front and 48psi rear. This made them feel very unstable, especially the front. Dropped them to the recommended 36/42 and they are perfect. Very confidence inspiring in the wet.

I changed to Trail Attacks 3 and reckon its the best tyres I have had although the ride is certainly different and more like a road tyre feel if you kow what I mean. Drops into corners faster and a more rounded profile than the last ones Ive tried. The roads arent good at the moment which may have something to do with what you think about them.

I concur completely, exactly my experience:thumb

The current Trail Attack 3 tyres on my GSA are the best tyres I have ever used on any of my GSs. Had them on since the beginning of September, so they have been used in all weathers.

One thing I did find though. When they were first fitted, the tyre shop inflated them to 39psi front and 48psi rear. This made them feel very unstable, especially the front. Dropped them to the recommended 36/42 and they are perfect. Very confidence inspiring in the wet.

They sound like the kind of presures they use to seal them to the rim. 32 front; and 36 rear in my Avons; and they seem to work a treat. All though as Giles says; cold air temperature and even colder roads makes a massive difference; getting some heat into any types of tyres takes alot of commitment at this time of year.:beerjug:

Conti do a piece about TPs on their website, which may help, as simply dropping pressures often fails to achieve the desired results it seems. Surely though TA3s are summer tyres that are OK Spring/Autumn but will need an extended warm up period when used in cold conditions.

There are 2 speed ratings quoted as options for the GS, V=149 mph & W = 168 mph. The V rating appears more than sufficient.

Presumably the W rated tyre can take more heat at speed, probably at the expense of warm-up time.

Otherwise, it's all about rider preference - sometimes a change in front tyre profile just doesn't suit the bike, or our style of riding.

I ordered RoadAttack 3’s but the shop fitted TrailAttack 3’s. The shop suggested I use them whilst awaiting the correct tyres. I found the ride to be very hard and the bike seemed hard to turn. The RoadAttacks seemed much better and seem to be wearing well with good wet and dry grip. Obviously the only off roading I’m likely to do would be just before I go though a hedge.

i have ra3s on my vstrom 650. they handle a bit like a squared off tyre. slow to drop in to the corner for a start then suddenly go over. i'm still experimenting with pressure .

A few months ago I changed my worn Metzler Tourance Next tyres on my 2014 R1200 GS LC (non-Adventure, alloy wheels) for ContiTrailAttack 3. I was very happy with the Metzlers but a friend, an Adventure rider, urged me to try ContiTrailAttack 3.

Since then my riding confidence has taken a dive, the bike's front end feels too light, it feels like I'm not getting enough feedback, it just doesn't feel planted in corners. It's like the bike's cornering dynamics have changed for the worse.

I was wondering it anyone else has had a similar experience. I wonder if it my imagination, it's me who's not run these tyres long enough to get used to them? Or is this not the right tyre for the bike (or for me)?

Got a set of the Next on another set of wheels , 600 miles ish , hated them , you can make me an offer for them as I’m not going to use them as now on the ta3 . Different tastes makes this works a wonderful place . Pm me if your interested as they won’t be used .

Got a set of the Next on another set of wheels , 600 miles ish , hated them , you can make me an offer for them as I’m not going to use them as now on the ta3 . Different tastes makes this works a wonderful place . Pm me if your interested as they won’t be used .

To add they were okay , but nothing like the TA3 imho of course

I run CTA's on my 1190 Adv and find them to be brilliant wet or dry, however the roads around here are currently covered in salty slimy shit, I nearly binned it twice within a mile of my house the other day, so I wonder if the sudden change in conditions has contributed to your recent confidence dip?

I run CTA's on my 1190 Adv and find them to be brilliant wet or dry, however the roads around here are currently covered in salty slimy shit, I nearly binned it twice within a mile of my house the other day, so I wonder if the sudden change in conditions has contributed to your recent confidence dip?

That salty slime is a pest. You and the bike covered in black grey muck and like you said it is slick and you know it is just eating the bike.

I’ve got CTA3’s on a 1200lc and they’re fine. Breath of fresh air after Anakee 3’s. Running standard tyre pressures. Having said that tyres and confidence can be a very personal thing. Good luck in your search for the perfect tyre!

Lol! I feel like I'm always about to go through a hedge when cornering on these tyres. In corners the line feels vague, the Tourance Next tyres I had felt more planted. It's knocked my confidence a bit, I feel like a newbie on these tyres.

Back
Top Bottom