Opinel Camping cook set knives

Not strictly true old chap, please refer to my diagram below..
39ae38ff4eae685eae9a82c5f6509449.jpg

Ahah...I see what you meant. :thumb

Only fuckwit pseudo trendy places and pretentious twats would do that fucking stupid vertical tear....with or without a "hinge".

Tell me...honestly....did you actually draw that and upload it in order to explain a baguette tearing preference?

You did, didn't you? :D

Ahah...I see what you meant. :thumb

Only fuckwit pseudo trendy places and pretentious twats would do that fucking stupid vertical tear....with or without a "hinge".

Tell me...honestly....did you actually draw that and upload it in order to explain a baguette tearing preference?

You did, didn't you? :D
It's raining and I have nothing better to do....

Horizontal tear? PAH! First bite and half the filling shoots out the side and into your lap. I rest my case, sir.

Au contraire. :rob

The purpose of the hinge is to retain the filling under pressure.
Your hands should be at either end to catch any overspill, and let you outrage onlookers by licking your fingers and the palm of your hand between bites. :eek

Unless, of course, someone is stupid enough to bite from the hinge side instead of towards it, then it all goes to ratshit. :augie

Here we go.....from which direction should you bite a filled baguette? :blast :D

Now we’re free of the evil EU dictatorship it’ll be left to our very own dictator to decide.

The smart money is on biggus barmius...

Makes sense really.

There's another six months (or pages) worth of debate and confusion.....what shall we name it? :nenau :D :augie

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As always the OP's serious thread has been hijacked yet again. We just need a flounce and all will be complete.
:jes

But should the lengthwise tear be vertically from top to bottom or horizontally from side to side?

Vertically for hot fillings that melt the butter, horizontal for cold fillings.

I tear bread rolls or smaller baguettes but the larger baguettes retain the filling better when cut. If eating them as an accompaniment to a salad then tearing off chunks has to be the way to go.

Vertically for hot fillings that melt the butter, horizontal for cold fillings.

I tear bread rolls or smaller baguettes but the larger baguettes retain the filling better when cut. If eating them as an accompaniment to a salad then tearing off chunks has to be the way to go.
You da man

I have come to the conclusion that the tearing (or breaking) of bread is a personal thing, possibly regional. Possibly also dictated by an individual’s eye to hand coordination and whether they are actually allowed to even look at a knife, let alone hold one.

Coming back to the knives in question. They are so lovely, that I take them out every so often, just to look at them. The no.7 is on order, just to spread butter, pate and even jam. When received, my joy will be complete.

Now to the next burning question: Butter on croissants, yes or no? I say, no. Au natural or, maybe with honey.

Now to the next burning question: Butter on croissants, yes or no? I say, no. Au natural or, maybe with honey.

Butter, definately.
Then drizzle honey over the butter.

However....and here we go....the croissant must be torn open horizontally into two halves (no hinge this time), then one of those foil wrapped small butter blocks goes on each half, forcefully spread along, and a small foil topped pot of honey on each half.
Now, here's the quintessential tactic.....you then rip each of the halves vertically into a slightly squashed piece which, due to it squashing in your grip, becomes a slight 'cup' to retain the honey on the first scoff.
Fold the following pieces over prior to eating them and use them to wipe up the honey oozing all over the plate and to scoop up the fallen flaky pieces. :thumb

Totally agree on the round-ended No.7s, had a couple for several years now and are perfect for cutting and spreading.
b33f1e6a0d86d4cafa247d9dcdc0bcf9.jpg

I should be but I'm not really surprised that you ordinary folk have wasted post after post on the irrelevant shite about baguettes and croissants.....bread in English....when the worst culinary error has gone unremarked....PRICKING SAUSAGES. No. Never.

I should be but I'm not really surprised that you ordinary folk have wasted post after post on the irrelevant shite about baguettes and croissants.....bread in English....when the worst culinary error has gone unremarked....PRICKING SAUSAGES. No. Never.

Eh?
It didn't go unremarked.
The correct method was discussed earlier. :D

Mind you, there's no need to prick them if cooked correctly, in an oven or air fryer. :augie

At the risk of getting back on track for a moment, if you are looking for travel knives I'd strongly recommend you look at the Kershaw Blade Trader, too.

I think I paid the equivalent of about £60 for this set - they are absolutely brilliant. Typical Kershaw quality, in a great travel case, they give you kitchen-quality blades when out in the bush (of wherever)!

Because you're only taking 2 handles (or one if you prefer) they're super compact too.

Any Saffers on the site will immediately recognise these, they're the go-to standard for off-road / camping kit in southern Africa.

Knives for life, highly recommended. :thumb2

Sorry about that, OK back to baguette and banger etiquette. :D:D

Attachments

• IMG_3270.JPG
    IMG_3270.JPG
    75.2 KB · Views: 250
  • IMG_3271.JPG
    IMG_3271.JPG
    61.7 KB · Views: 297
  • IMG_3273.JPG
    IMG_3273.JPG
    68 KB · Views: 287