Relocating BMW led auxiliary lights on R1250 GS

P248

Reaction score
I'm considering moving the aux lights on my 1250 from the light bracket under the beak to the engine bars.
Does anyone know where I can get hold of male electrical connectors identical to the oe ones which plug into the lights themselves and female connectors to suit? I want to make up extensions so I don't have to cut into the original wiring.
Also, if I do manage to make up these extensions, are there likely to any problems with the way the lights operate in there new position?

Just buy the OE loom from either BMW or Bohling.
Make sure that yours it’s the nano version.
£50’ish and “click”
Just done this.
You’ll need different clamps though and it’s snug down there.
Touratech ones work and are stainless but need no adapter.
Denali ones are ok but you still then need an adapter.

Is the original loom long enough to reach down to the engine bars? On the parts fiche it looks like there is just enough cable to reach from the connector in the fairing to one of the lights mounted on one end of the standard light bracket from where a cable branches off to go along the bracket to the other light.

I note what you say about the lack of room down at the engine bars. I'll check that before I proceed further. Thank you.

No it isn't.
They will fit as I have mine down there now.
BUT it is tight due to the 1250 being different.
A lot depends on what brackets you choose to use as the OE ones wont work unless you want to start welding.

It seems like I've done just the opposite on my 1250 GSA by moving them from the crash bars and fitting the BMW bracket under the beak. Although a bit fiddly, there was no problem with the length of the loom, but, I guess, that doesn't mean the GS & GSA looms are the same length, - but it's worth a try. You can just see the OE brackets on the crash-bars in the photo

Attachments

• IMG_20191118_135832_BURST001_COVERd.jpg
    IMG_20191118_135832_BURST001_COVERd.jpg
    104.2 KB · Views: 2,209
I've spliced in to my wiring and added the extra cable needed with soldered and shrink wrapped joints.
Two years on and no problems,I've put mine on RT light bars.

GSA loom is a different design as it splits with the rh side longer.
GS loom is literally long enough to go from lh across the the rh light.
Unless you want to cutting and splicing - just buy the OE GSA loom.

That sounds like a good option, ReGenesis. I'll have a look at that. Thanks to all for the input.

Just make 100% sure there is not some slack cable tied up inside the left hand side of the beak. I fitted my own (nanos) last year using BMW OEM kit and there was a fair bit of slack when I fitted them onto the mount under the beak. I suppose it depends on how far down the bike you want to go though.

I have a BNIB set of Touratech clamps in SS that allow you to fit your oem BMW lights directly to the engine bars, if anyone is interested drop me a line. Cheers, Del

Found out what the extra blanked plug on the loom is.
It’s for if you want to fit the daytime running light - assuming you don’t have the led headlight and only just he standard

I have a BNIB set of Touratech clamps in SS that allow you to fit your oem BMW lights directly to the engine bars, if anyone is interested drop me a line. Cheers, Del[/Quorum

Sorry Del boy, I don't know how to PM you. Can you tell me a bit more about the Touratech clamps? Are they suitable for the current BMW lamps and for the BMW engine bars on the R1250GS? Can you post a link to the item on the Touratech site? Thanks.

I have a BNIB set of Touratech clamps in SS that allow you to fit your oem BMW lights directly to the engine bars, if anyone is interested drop me a line. Cheers, Del[/Quorum

Sorry Del boy, I don't know how to PM you. Can you tell me a bit more about the Touratech clamps? Are they suitable for the current BMW lamps and for the BMW engine bars on the R1250GS?

Yes they are for the oem lights. GSA’s come with mounting points on the bars and AFAIK GS bars don’t. So the kit which is very well made in SS allows you to clamp the oem lights to the crash bars. I bought them to fit my oem lights that i purchased on this site, but i decided to use Denali lights instead because my top crash bars were not compatible with the Denali Sound bomb that i want to fit. Thats why i sold them. They are available to buy from Tourtech.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks Delboy. Before I go any further I need to check there's enough room to fit the lights where I'm planning to put them, and whether I can use the existing loom. When I've worked that out I'll come back to you about the brackets. But please don't wait to hear from me if you get the chance to offload them elsewhere in the meantime. Cheers

You will not be able to use the existing loom to fit the lights on the lower crash bars.
It just is not long enough without extending it.
Your lights will be the Nano version which means you need the new style loom.
You have these lights - https://www.bmw-motorrad-bohling.co...l-lights-nano-set-r1250gs-adventure-2019.html
You’ll need the loom from it which is this - https://www.bmw-motorrad-bohling.com/uk/bmw-wiring-harness-r-1200-gs-adventure-2014-2016-k51.html

Far easier and won’t invalidate your warranty

You will not be able to use the existing loom to fit the lights on the lower crash bars.
It just is not long enough without extending it.
Your lights will be the Nano version which means you need the new style loom.
You have these lights - https://www.bmw-motorrad-bohling.co...l-lights-nano-set-r1250gs-adventure-2019.html
You’ll need the loom from it which is this - https://www.bmw-motorrad-bohling.com/uk/bmw-wiring-harness-r-1200-gs-adventure-2014-2016-k51.html

Far easier and won’t invalidate your warranty

Thanks Regenesis. That loom looks like what I need. It does say “-adventure-2015-2016-k51”. Do you know if it would be a straight plug ‘n play into my 1250 GS, 2019, K50? This bike is my first BMW so I’m not familiar with the detailed differences under the bodywork between it and previous year models, or with the Adventure.

Straight fit.
The 1250 should have the Nano lights which that loom is for.
I have the older lights bought over from the 1200 so it’s a different loom.
It’s the type of lights you have that’s important.
Look at the first link which is for Nano’s and the second is taken from the parts list that shows on there.
You need the Adventure loom as it’s longer and splits fo the lights to sit lower.

Thanks Delboy. Before I go any further I need to check there's enough room to fit the lights where I'm planning to put them, and whether I can use the existing loom. When I've worked that out I'll come back to you about the brackets. But please don't wait to hear from me if you get the chance to offload them elsewhere in the meantime. Cheers

The brackets are already sold. I was just giving you the info

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorry Delboy, I misunderstood your first message and thought you were offering the brackets for sale. I've found them on the Touratech site.

ReGenesis, the same loom part number is also listed for 2019 GSA so it does look as if the loom should fit my set up. And I've found a source for a second hand item which I can send back if it doesn't do what I want it to, so hopefully all should be good.

Thanks both for your help.

Back
Top Bottom