Beeline Moto navigation

I got one for xmas, the £150 version. Arrived with that looked like cracks in teh back of the case. Went to contact Beeline by email query, no reply for 2 weeks. Contacted by Facebook - advised will be straight back to you. A week later no response. Sent back for a refund. A week later they came back to me and advised the cracks where not cracks but "they are all like that, our mould we make them in leaves those marks".

I was going to buy another but with the poor support on initial purchase and what seems like lack of attention to detail on a £150 item which basically is doing most of its stuff on the phone and is just a display I started wondering if it was really worth £150.

Still thinking about it, if it was under 100quid i'd just give it a go and not worry too much about support etc.

I bought one a couple of months back. Used it a few times on the RKS in both route and compass options, and found it to be very good.

If you're the sort of person who has to follow a magenta line to within an inch of your carefully pre-planned route then don't bother with one of these, but it you're prepared to be a bit more relaxed about things and just enjoy the journey with the occasional wrong turn then they are a lot of fun and a viable alternative to a garmin IMHO.

I bought one a couple of months back. Used it a few times on the RKS in both route and compass options, and found it to be very good.

As I'm preparing for the collection of the RKS, I was wondering how the mounts work out on the 1.25" bars?

I've got the elastic band mount and the bar mount.

As I'm intending to use it on the long ride home, I'll be wanting to fit it in the dealership car park

As I'm preparing for the collection of the RKS, I was wondering how the mounts work out on the 1.25" bars?

I've got the elastic band mount and the bar mount.

As I'm intending to use it on the long ride home, I'll be wanting to fit it in the dealership car park

You should be fine with one of the large bands . On my 2” bars I needed to loop two large bands together but one should be fine with your puny little bars :)

You should be fine with one of the large bands . On my 2” bars I needed to loop two large bands together but one should be fine with your puny little bars :)

I realised after asking I should have checked on the mega-thread, but realised that the best pics were on your compensating bars

Just been looking at these and quite like the idea.

Couple of questions for those of you who own them....

1. Am I right in thinking it's using the GPS from your phone? So you couldn't just upload your route and turn your phone off?
2. What happens if you've turned data off on your phone and you take a wrong turn? Does it switch to beeline mode? If so, does it switch back to routing mode once you get back on route?
3. Does the App support "what three words"?

Just been looking at these and quite like the idea.

Couple of questions for those of you who own them....

1. Am I right in thinking it's using the GPS from your phone? So you couldn't just upload your route and turn your phone off?

Yes. No.

Think of the Beeline as 2 separate entities - the GPS/mapping/routing bit and the display bit. The GPS/mapping/routing bit all happens on your phone in the app. The display bit is the part on the handlebars and it's just that, the display showing what the app on your phone tells it to display.

2. What happens if you've turned data off on your phone and you take a wrong turn? Does it switch to beeline mode? If so, does it switch back to routing mode once you get back on route?

Seems like it needs data to set a route but not sure what happens if you lose data and go off route mid journey

It hasn't got a "beeline mode" as such. Do you mean the mode that gives you a direction rather than a route? It won't switch between the two unless you explicitly tell it to.

3. Does the App support "what three words"?

No.

Note that you can download the app and use it without the device so you can try all these things out for your self, including showing exactly what the device would show.

Does anyone know if this can be used as KM PH. speedo ?

No.

Note that you can download the app and use it without the device so you can try all these things out for your self, including showing exactly what the device would show.

Thanks Gyp - very helpful :clap

It hasn't got a "beeline mode" as such. Do you mean the mode that gives you a direction rather than a route? It won't switch between the two unless you explicitly tell it to.

Yes, that's the one I meant.

So, in essence it's quite limited unless you have data turned on.

Seems a shame that you can't 'download' maps onto the phone for offline use.

I'd also like to see it be slightly larger so that they could build a GPS unit inside it and a bigger battery to cope with the extra demand that places on it.

So very nearly brilliant.

Think it would be fine for UK riding but I'd still need a GPS for Europe / further afield and I'm not buying two different units.

I really like the concept though. Will watch how it evolves. It's still relatively new as a product.

Might download the app and have a tinker.

Thanks again :beerjug:

Seems a shame that you can't 'download' maps onto the phone for offline use.

I'd also like to see it be slightly larger so that they could build a GPS unit inside it and a bigger battery to cope with the extra demand that places on it.

I believe what you are describing there is a regular motorcycle GPS :)

On their web page and facebook they say that they have free worldwide mapping and that you don't need a data connection when you're out and about, but I've not tried it like that.

It definitely seems to require a connection when you are establishing a route.

If you can establish it when your phone has wifi and then ride with no data then that might be sufficient.

Best thing is to download the app and have a play

No.

Tried that but the app would go no further than the first page until I entered my Beeline device details ...

Tried the app - it does work without you needing a Beeline connected - and all seems good. Compass mode looks like a throwback to when GPS's didn't have mapping, I used to use a Garmin 12!

47th wedding anniversary tomorrow (20-04-2021) - anyone selling a Beeline Moto she can buy for me?

Does anyone know what the 'standby' time is on these.

i.e. how long it will hold a charge if you don't use it for ages.

Half tempted to buy one as a 'pocketable' device but that only works if it will hold a charge for a month or two between uses.

Back
Top Bottom