Knocked off

Rugged Path

The Honourable.
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Through BeMoto.
I was knocked off my bike and it has been classed as category B so, frame has to be crushed.
So compensation compromises!
This is a first time for me.

I assume I would get a comparable amount of money to enable me to buy a similar age and exact type of motorcycle that has been taken off the road in value.
And that is 'dealer' book price and not a private sale off eBay for example.

What say you lads out there?

My inner thinking says I am going to be worse off, injuries and all.

Sent from my MI 9 using Tapatalk

You were 'knocked off'; that can mean a whole host of things. Whose 'fault' was it that you were 'knocked off' and by whom / what? A horse, a kid on a scooter, an uninsured motorist who fled the scene, a very nice person who has admitted all and any liability and has informed their own insurer?

If it is genuinely a third party's fault, then you'll very probably be able to claim off their insurer:

(a) For the loss of your motorcycle, replacing it like for like or an equivalent cash value.

(b) The injuries you suffer, including damage to kit, body and and loss of earnings.

By their nature, claim (a) above is reasonably straightforward to establish. Claim (b) takes longer.

ChasMill of this forum was 'knocked off' when a wheel came off a truck, clearly not his 'fault'. He was paid out, with the understandable delay over claim b, as medical updates etc are required. There was no subsequent police investigation into the truck, which speeds things up, as (possible) steps towards prosecution take precedence over civil matters, obviously. A friend who was knocked off his bicycle and very badly injured by an impatient van driver, own claim was delayed whilst the police investigated the matter. It doesn't necessarily stop payments it just sometimes extends the process.

If it is not a third party's 'fault' then it's more likely that you'll be claiming under your own policy, at least for item (a). As to whether you can claim for damage to your kit or anything else (like bodily injury / loss of earnings) will depend on the policy you bought and or any other insurance you might have. For example I have a totally separate Personal Accident policy, which would pay out if I am injured or killed irrespective whose 'fault' the event was. I believe ChasMill had one too, which paid out very quickly.

If it was your 'fault' then it will near enough be as per the paragraph above, with the addition of the third party seeking a recovery against your insurer for any damage or injury YOU caused to them.

Do not listen to spouts on this forum and elsewhere that "Insurers never pay" of course they do.

Through BeMoto.
I was knocked off my bike and it has been classed as category B so, frame has to be crushed.
So compensation compromises!
This is a first time for me.

I assume I would get a comparable amount of money…..

What say you lads out there?

My inner thinking says I am going to be worse off, injuries and all.

What say you after a couple of months? In pocket? Out of pocket? Still waiting?

What say you after a couple of months? In pocket? Out of pocket? Still waiting?

Aye, it would be useful to get an update, only I am currently with Bemoto and renewal coming up at the end of the month.

They had several problems at the outset of the policy, wrong bike, repeated requests for NCD proof, plenty of email apologies and eventually sorted it out without any great upset.
Luckily I haven't had to be in touch with them but it would be nice to know how they perform when push comes to shove.

Never did win the Ducati they had up for grabs though.

In another separate post, he tells that his Harley has been written off and his damaged leg is slowly healing. He clearly had a severe bump on the head though, as a he is considering buying a trike :D

One can only assume that his claim is progressing, too. Who knows, it may even be completed and he is now clutching much gold.

In the Harley thread - sure he said he was paid out..

Edit..

He got £7,999 less £350 excess….

So, much gold indeed…..

Aha, so I see. This from a post dated 01 February:

Well the end of an era for my 2010 Ultra Classic. It will be soon be off to the breakers. Compensation was only £7,999 minus £350 excess.
Will wait a year and see how the left foot and kneecap heals up before considering another heavyweight.
Hopefully my injury lawyer will put my case forward and get a positive response on my claim.
It was a decent 65,000 mile journey through many lands.

Given that the opening post in this thread was dated 24 January, that looks like about a week to be paid. That seems to be reasonably quick and might pop the ballon of the oft heard “Insurers never pay, mate”. Whether or not the settlement figure was fair and reasonable is of course subjective; those that know about the make, model and year of the bike will be able to judge that, I guess? No doubt there will be an eager chorus of “You have been ripped-off, mate” should the payment be even a penny too low.

As the fellow mentions an excess, I can only assume he claimed for the loss of / damage to his bike under his own policy, rather than against a third party. What though doesn’t quite fit, is that he is talking about putting forward an injury claim, through a lawyer, which suggests that a third party was responsible for him being ‘knocked off’. If so, why did he claim under his own policy and not against the third party?

Life is full of such conundrums….

Ref the value, the bike had I understand 65k on the clock… I would deem the value as fair.

I got £5k for mine back in August 2022…. 1996my and … 115,000 miles….which I also thought fair

Compensation was only £7,999….

We might wonder what figure the OP had in mind?

But hey, we digress.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/f8gsUGx6NQc" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture; web-share" allowfullscreen></iframe>

It was a fair price considering the state of it. Vivid black had become matted, polished chrome dulled and fork legs pebble dashed.
I had bought it in Saudi and used it to tour the Middle East while working over there.
It had gone through many sand storms on my journeys.

Aye, it would be useful to get an update, only I am currently with Bemoto and renewal coming up at the end of the month.

They had several problems at the outset of the policy, wrong bike, repeated requests for NCD proof, plenty of email apologies and eventually sorted it out without any great upset.
Luckily I haven't had to be in touch with them but it would be nice to know how they perform when push comes to shove.

Never did win the Ducati they had up for grabs though.

Pay out was fairly quick once I gave them the go ahead to collect it from my home. Initially they wanted to take it from the compound where it was taken to after the accident and ship it to their Heathrow (4th Dimension) site, but I said no as I still had stuff on the motorcycle in the trunks. Glad I did as I doubt I would have seen it again. So I removed my accessories and installed the OEM bits back.

I had the titanium package.
Put a claim in only for the helmet (Shoei J-Cruise) and only got back less than a third. Could not find receipt after 3+ yrs of ownership so only got 50% back also less £50 admin fee.
They supplied the injury lawyer as part of the policy package. But on speaking to BeMoto, the solicitors still take a percentage of the case winnings if all goes well.

Aha, so I see. This from a post dated 01 February:

As the fellow mentions an excess, I can only assume he claimed for the loss of / damage to his bike under his own policy, rather than against a third party. What though doesn’t quite fit, is that he is talking about putting forward an injury claim, through a lawyer, which suggests that a third party was responsible for him being ‘knocked off’. If so, why did he claim under his own policy and not against the third party?

This was my first major loss since my teens when my 250 was stolen (still under HP).
I admit, I am not up to scratch on the workings of insurance companies. Albeit insurance bought through BeMoto, it is AXA the underwriter. And BeMoto has a string of subsidiary companies under them dealing with various parts of the claim.

I can only assume the injury lawyer would put claims in for loss of motorcycle, loss of my mobility through injury for 12 months and whatever else is deemed necessary in these types of settlements.

Back
Top Bottom