Nav VI (and maybe other devices) to PC connection

tonkatoy

Reaction score
FINALLY !!!!!!

OK, mystery maybe solved.

Having almost given up I finally remembered a USB cable I keep in the car for charging phones etc. It's a genuine Samsung which came with a phone I had a while ago. Plug in to Nav6, plug into USB3 (yes I did say USB3) on my Win10 PC and immediately the PC starts installing drivers. The Nav6 then pops up in Windows Explorer under devices and drives (It never did this previously). Then Garmin Express kicks in and tells me a device is available. I opt to discover new devices and the Nav6 pops up and subsequently Garmin Express offers me updates which I'm in the process of uploading.

Moral (for me anyway) is that one cable is definitely NOT always the same as another. I have 3 cables all of which purport to be full data cables not just charging cables. And only the Samsung one worked. But the NAV6 is now quite happy connected to a USB3 port. Which may not mean that it is fully USB3 compatible, just that the USB3 ports on my PC could be capable of detecting a USB2 device and switching to USB2 mode. It may be that the MTP switch (outlined in my last contribution) from Auto Detect to MASS STORAGE has helped but right now I'm not even vaguely tempted to switch it back.

Probably one giveaway for me if I were to encounter the same problem in future would be - if I connected a NAV6 via USB cable to a PC and the display on the NAV6 went to the PC and wire graphic when the PC was booted, BUT, reverted to the normal Nav mode 10-20 seconds later, I would then suspect the USB cable rather than anything else. The NAV6 is getting into the correct mode but then dropping out because it can't see what it expects on the other end of the wire.

I cut this from another thread, as it may well help people find the answer quicker.

Back
Top Bottom