2020 Wales 500

GB.

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi, I'm just looking for some info and advice about this event in May.
I've never done an event like this so not sure what I need or what to expect. I've never used a road book or the like, I'm reasonably good with garmin satnavs and basic map reading. My bike is in reasonable fettle, bigger sump guard and crash bars. Any info would be appreciated.

I did it for the first time last year, and my previous off-road experience was limited to gravel tracks and also the BMW Off-Road School Level 1 course.

The event organisers design it and try it on big bikes with road tyres to check it's do-able. However, I would say if you're on tyres designed for 100% tarmac you need some good off-road skills. I used Karoo Street tyres (70/30) and that's as street-oriented as I'd want to go as someone inexperienced off road.

Three of us went together and stayed together, which made using the roadbook easier. The concept is quick to grasp, but actually using it on the road, winding it on etc takes some getting used to. We had intercoms, and ended up with the person at the back giving instructions to the person at the front, and the one at the front picking out the best line to take on the surface - almost splitting the processing power between 2-3 brains!

The first day was just familiarisation (about 60 miles), and the vast majority of the mileage was on the second day. I'd have preferred a more even split personally. The weather on the second day was awful weather for all but the last few hours. The rain made it much tougher, both in terms of being cold, wet, miserable and hard to see, but also because it made the terrain more slippery. At one point there was a rocky, slippery section followed by a deep (by my inexperienced standards) water crossing. All three of us made it through without major incident (not everyone was so lucky), and we realised the roadbook would loop us round and take us along that section for a second time. We therefore got the maps out, worked out a different route and skipped some of it, going back onto tarmac for a while and rejoining the proper route on some nice gravel forest tracks (these were fun).

The paella provided by the organisers at the end of the day was the best I have ever tasted, and I suspect that was partly due to how welcome it was after a long, exhausting, challenging, wet day of riding.

My bike has engine bars, the standard BMW hand guards, a metal sump guard (standard I think?) and that's about it, and the bike itself coped fine. It was absolutely caked in thick mud by the end.

I'm considering signing up again this year, but not sure yet.

Thank you so much, did you camp or stay in accommodation?

We camped. The facilities were basic but perfectly adequate. I understand it will be at a new venue for 2020, but I don't think it's been announced where yet.

Back
Top Bottom