Fuel controller

Nice. I didn't realise you should do the throttle body balancing. I just tried to look up how to do it, but most threads seem to say to stay away from it as much as possible as it should stay in sync throughout the lifetime from the factory and could be up the bike real bad. Is that right?

Do you have any advice on doing it? If I'm wrong, I'd be up for trying it. :)

Sent from my AC2003 using Tapatalk

Only adjust the throttle sync with the adjusters on the cables, do not touch the factory pre- set screws on the throttle bodies.

Ah yes, that's what I've done during the service. All of these things together have definitely made a huge difference.

I'm curious whether the ECU will adapt the snatchiness back in now that I've done the idle actuator calibration. If I understand the theory correctly, it should just be reading everything accurately now and stay smooth.

Unless it's causing it to take in a mixture that's richer, which it might lean out to meet EU regs over time...

its just idle stepper motors... on part throttle that should be engine health, coils, the throttle body balance and the state of the map BMW gave it

Ah yes, that's what I've done during the service. All of these things together have definitely made a huge difference.

I'm curious whether the ECU will adapt the snatchiness back in now that I've done the idle actuator calibration. If I understand the theory correctly, it should just be reading everything accurately now and stay smooth.

Unless it's causing it to take in a mixture that's richer, which it might lean out to meet EU regs over time...
As an update. The smoothness around 2k that immediately appeared after calibrating the idle actuators is now slowly disappearing again. Unless I got used to it really fast and am now sensing more subtle snatchiness, I feel like after a weekend of riding about 200miles the snatchiness that I'm sure was gone initially is back.

Maybe the ECU leaned out the air/fuel ratio after a few 100 miles back to meet emission standards. My still very novice conclusion is that when I replaced the idle air hoses calibrated the actuators, the air fuel mixture became was a bit rich and the ECU adapted it out over time. I read somewhere that when resetting adaptions (I only did the actuators, but maybe related), the engine is a touch rich initially until the ECU adapts for emission standards. This enables the engineers to have the engine run well during the initial tests when the bikes leave the factory?

Any thoughts? Would any of that make sense? :S

As an update. The smoothness around 2k that immediately appeared after calibrating the idle actuators is now slowly disappearing again. Unless I got used to it really fast and am now sensing more subtle snatchiness, I feel like after a weekend of riding about 200miles the snatchiness that I'm sure was gone initially is back.

Maybe the ECU leaned out the air/fuel ratio after a few 100 miles back to meet emission standards. My still very novice conclusion is that when I replaced the idle air hoses calibrated the actuators, the air fuel mixture became was a bit rich and the ECU adapted it out over time. I read somewhere that when resetting adaptions (I only did the actuators, but maybe related), the engine is a touch rich initially until the ECU adapts for emission standards. This enables the engineers to have the engine run well during the initial tests when the bikes leave the factory?

k

see bold of your comment - are you kidding ? and did you use a GS911 where you got to the set up on idle actuators after wiping adaptions?

on the motoscan tool he's added adaption wipe on some models - but I couldn't find it on mine.

but runs great, then turns to sh*t is exactly what I'm moaning about - do it again and disconnect CAT sensors at 150 miles and it will stay normal

see bold of your comment - are you kidding ? and did you use a GS911 where you got to the set up on idle actuators after wiping adaptions?

on the motoscan tool he's added adaption wipe on some models - but I couldn't find it on mine.

but runs great, then turns to sh*t is exactly what I'm moaning about - do it again and disconnect CAT sensors at 150 miles and it will stay normal
Yeah man. It sucks.

I don't have a gs-911, but I have the motoscan app. I did the actuator reset like you said, but didn't find the adaptation reset either.

Taking the cat sensor out makes sense. People do that for the PC I think right? I am waiting for my AF-XIED to arrive, so I guess I'll have to plug it back in for that, since the pre cat/post cat O2 sensors are somehow connected, I guess....(based on k1200 thread I read if I remember well)

I had a 100 miles of thinking I just made my bike run perfect just through great maintenance, but I guess we do need to hack it a bit if we want more out of it. :)

the only bit is how did you end up with the adoption's cleared ? don't remove the CAT sensor just unplug them, as an experiment…

mind u if your going AF-XIED all irrelevant, plug them in and ride it...

the only bit is how did you end up with the adoption's cleared ? don't remove the CAT sensor just unplug them, as an experiment…

Yes, I'm a bit confused by that. Because I reset actuators, not adaptions. Maybe resetting actuators reads in the correct amount of air, but then the ECU adapts after a bit because it realises it needs to lean things out again... who knows. :/

mind u if your going AF-XIED all irrelevant, plug them in and ride it...

Haha, yeah good point. It'll be there in a couple of weeks, so should be good. I might be able to install it just before heading off to Scotland for a few days of winter riding and getting away from it all. I just decided to do that yesterday. Haven't really taken any real time off since covid started apart from end of last year.

Yes, I'm a bit confused by that. Because I reset actuators, not adaptions. Maybe resetting actuators reads in the correct amount of air, but then the ECU adapts after a bit because it realises it needs to lean things out again... who knows. :/

- just saw - MotoScan now on version 1.80 the new update coming out in dribs and drabs since 1 Nov 2021
- gone now but had mentioned Adaption reset was new for version 1.72 in the summer
- maybe you got the later one and he's added the missing modules and that's done it ?

highlights
added K63 S1000R
Brake bleed on R nine T K21, K22, K23 K32, K33, K34, K35
TFT 10.5 service reset

interesting ...

GS911 update

ZFE Fuel strip to float conversion with Vehicle Order update

Back
Top Bottom