Travel insurance

In my 37 years, I’ve never had travel insurance, should I have to?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In my 37 years, I’ve never had travel insurance, should I have to?

Not sure if you are serious, but it is entirely up to you. You'll get away without it ............ until the day you don't.

Your risk to take, and only you can decide if it is worthwhile. Plenty of people who haven't bothered with travel insurance or have ignored the T&C have had to turn to crowdfunding to get the injured or deceased - back home. Some will have seen their financial position hit to the tune of £35k+ overnight.

Me? I've assessed the risks and decided that £120-ish a year, is money well spent - even for the years I have not needed/claimed on it.

Not sure if you are serious, but it is entirely up to you. You'll get away without it ............ until the day you don't.

Your risk to take, and only you can decide if it is worthwhile. Plenty of people who haven't bothered with travel insurance or have ignored the T&C have had to turn to crowdfunding to get the injured or deceased - back home. Some will have seen their financial position hit to the tune of £35k+ overnight.

Me? I've assessed the risks and decided that £120-ish a year, is money well spent - even for the years I have not needed/claimed on it.

I just never think of it. My feelings about insurance is that I am being robbed every time.
I’ve insured my work Van yesterday. 12 years NCB and it is still £500. Ok it came down from ~£650 I paid last year, but still a shacking great wedge.
Same with my bike. 11 years NCB and I still asked to pay ~£600 for social/domestic only policy.

However, perhaps I must look into Travel insurance.
There are so many policies for all sorts that it is a mine field to know what you need and what you do not.

If you take bike holidays, watch out for policies which exclude holidays where motorcycle use is principal/fundamental to the holiday. Make sure you take out a policy that covers the duration you will be abroad, that it covers the correct countries - and that it is in place before you start your holiday. Some require a booking in place for your return journey (ferry/flight).

But - you'd do worse than start by looking at Post Office Premier Cover - and see if it is suitable. Also someone once recommended BMW travel insurance and at first look - seemed remarkable value and appeared to suit bike travel. That is as far as I got with that recommendation.

There are many other threads on the subject with other recommendations and should all be in the Insurance/Travel sections.

As a curve ball how about taking out a Nationwide flex plus account as that includes free worldwide travel insurance inc winter sports and worldwide mobile cover for any family member living at the same address and UK & European breakdown cover for the account holder(s) and costs £13 a month

As a curve ball how about taking out a Nationwide flex plus account as that includes free worldwide travel insurance inc winter sports and worldwide mobile cover for any family member living at the same address and UK & European breakdown cover for the account holder(s) and costs £13 a month

Sounds appealing. Is the policy doc available for review ‘without’ having the account set up? Do you have a copy of the policy doc you can share, to assist?

Any idea who is underwriting the policy?

Sounds appealing. Is the policy doc available for review ‘without’ having the account set up? Do you have a copy of the policy doc you can share, to assist?

Following.... :popcorn

Think most of what you want can be found here. You used to get interest too but that's been ditched now. The other benefit is you don't pay transaction fees on your debit card while using it abroad and IIRC if you have their credit card that's exempt too.

https://www.nationwide.co.uk/produc...tures-and-benefits#tab:Featuresandampbenefits

My annual Travel insurance was due (Virgin silver) and when I looked the cost for the account was the same as the travel insurance so I effectively get all the other benefits for free and needed the travel insurance anyway so saw it as a no brainer. Adding SWMBO to the account means she gets free breakdown cover too :beerjug:

Last edited:
Think most of what you want can be found here. You used to get interest too but that's been ditched now. The other benefit is you don't pay transaction fees on your debit card while using it abroad and IIRC if you have their credit card that's exempt too.

https://www.nationwide.co.uk/produc...tures-and-benefits#tab:Featuresandampbenefits

Had a brief trawl through the policy doc, and have to say - it is not entirely clear (to me, at least) if motorbike holidays on a bike greater than 125cc are covered. (P18 general exclusions).

If not - it could still be good value for family holidays.

Had a brief trawl through the policy doc, and have to say - it is not entirely clear (to me, at least) if motorbike holidays on a bike greater than 125cc are covered. (P18 general exclusions).

The devil is always in the detail and it's important to make sure it fits your needs. You could always give them a call?

To purchase any of the above upgrades please contact the insurer on 0800 051 0154 8am–9pm Monday– Friday, 9am–5pm Saturday and 10am-5pm Sunday.

Very interesting thread and many thanks to those like Wapping and Blackal for their well considered and knowledgeable inputs. My travel insurance has expired and I am looking to renew it in May when I go to France for a week and the IOM in August but I will need a policy that will also cover me on a trip to Croatia that I hope to do later in the year.

The devil is always in the detail and it's important to make sure it fits your needs. You could always give them a call?

To purchase any of the above upgrades please contact the insurer on 0800 051 0154 8am–9pm Monday– Friday, 9am–5pm Saturday and 10am-5pm Sunday.

I appreciate that - but no matter what is said on the phone, I would want it clearly stated in the policy document. Carole Nash once protested that the modifications to my bikes (although stated in the policy doc as ‘unmodified’) were covered by the e-mail they sent me stating that the mods were accepted. That is no system and came from them, not the underwriter.

Seems clear to me that cover for riding a bike from home as your mode of transport is covered. Section 9 has the exclusion:

9. Motorcycles, mopeds and scooters
Any claim as a result of you using any motorcycle, moped or scooter, if:
• You do not wear a crash helmet.
• You are in control of the vehicle and you do not hold a valid licence to drive that vehicle type in your home area.
• The vehicle is above 125cc and you did not use it to travel from your home area.
• You are not wearing appropriate protective clothing.

Flipping those statements gives you the conditions in which you are covered i.e. must wear a helmet; must wear appropriate clothing (woolly as not clearly defined); must have a licence to ride that size bike and must have travelled from home on the bike (so not covered for fly-ride where you hire a bike in resort)

One thing that has not been said explicitly is that you need to ensure you check for changes in terms & conditions before renewing a policy. Even those "free" policies with bank accounts are renewed each year and a different underwriter might be used. If you look at the Nationwide Flex policy, it changed in Nov 2019.

Check out Avivva. Motorcycle cover for Europe under 50 quid for the year for both of us

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Having read lots of the previous threads about insurance on this site and just in case the worst should happen I took out a policy with Adventures Travel Insurance for my trip to Europe in September. Thankfully I didn't need to claim but they were easy and helpful to deal with when taking out the policy. I've no connection with them other than as a customer.

https://www.adventuresinsurance.co.uk 02392 419 070 or email customerservices@adventuresinsurance.co.uk

Following.... :popcorn

Thanks - will have a look.

My annual Travel insurance was due (Virgin silver) and when I looked the cost for the account was the same as the travel insurance so I effectively get all the other benefits for free and needed the travel insurance anyway so saw it as a no brainer. Adding SWMBO to the account means she gets free breakdown cover too :beerjug:

As far as I can see from the policy included within the link,

https://www.nationwide.co.uk/-/medi...y_Travel_Insurance_Policy-from-1-nov-2019.pdf

the policy INCLUDES coverage for motorcycling..... but, hang on.....

Included Activities

You are covered to do the activities below on your trip.

You are covered for Land-based activities:

Motorcycling (up to 125cc, crash helmet must be worn, and you must have a valid UK licence to ride the vehicle,
no cover under Personal Liability)

Then, reconfirmed in the General Exclusions:

9. Motorcycles, mopeds and scooters

Any claim as a result of you using any motorcycle, moped or scooter, if:
• You do not wear a crash helmet.
• You are in control of the vehicle and you do not hold a valid licence to drive that vehicle type in your home area.
• The vehicle is above 125cc and you did not use it to travel from your home area.
• You are not wearing appropriate protective clothing.

Now, if someone can explain to me how riding a motorcycle of a cubic capacity of greater than 125 cc is covered, I’m all ears. But hey, maybe littleade rides a little bike?

As far as I can see from the policy included within the link,

https://www.nationwide.co.uk/-/medi...y_Travel_Insurance_Policy-from-1-nov-2019.pdf

the policy INCLUDES coverage for motorcycling..... but, hang on.....

Then, reconfirmed in the General Exclusions:

Now, if someone can explain to me how riding a motorcycle of a cubic capacity of greater than 125 cc is covered, I’m all ears. But hey, maybe littleade rides a little bike?

It appears, as Wessie surmises that if you DID travel from your home area on a bike greater than 125cc (with no upper limit) - then you are covered?

But - as I said before, it isnt that clear, and I've seen much more concise cover/restrictions on other policies.

Back
Top Bottom