RANDOM SCREEN CHANGES - It's a Garmin problem, specific to the Nav VI device

If you contact Garmin about this issue and your unit is out of warranty, they will offer you an exchange unit for £141.67. Unfortunately it only has a 90 day guarantee!
Life’s full of disappointments.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

for me this is the last Garmin product...
never again garmin..

It seems my ghosting problem started when I left the device in the cradle for a couple of weeks. I didn't have a bike in my safe garage and never did it before. Got a garage, left the Navi in the cradle and it happened. The battery went out of juice and the first hour of riding it was acting like crazy. Looks it needed to get the battery filled then it started working normally.

Don't know if this helps, but mine used to do it till i fitted a wunderlick sun screen/shade. Possibly coincidence but i seems to have worked on my nav6

No longer have it sold it along with the bike now have a honda more reliable

I cleaned my screen and has since been working fine.

Nav V1 possibly buggerd,

Nav 6 new with bike in June 2019, bikes now done 8K, all tours, Dolomites, Picos, Vercors & Provence, all the time the Nav performed well, till on the way back from South of France last week, the screen started to move about, zoom in and out change pages, got back to UK and phoned Garmin, nope, will sell me a refurbished one for £140, known fault it seems with touchscreen, Contacted bike supplying dealer, was sympathetic and will get back to me maybe a bit of goodwill,

Due to covid the nav had much less use than normal times, probably 60 hours use? then fail? not good for a premium product, will wait dealer response this week

Will clean screen and see if that cures it, sounds to good to be true that a simple screen clean cured it for some, hope so :thumb2

Many thanks for this thread.

My Nav 6 has been steadily getting worse this year, freezing and changing screens. In Spain I thought it was the heat

To cut a long story short about 10 days ago the screen went berserk and was like the opening credits to the 'Big Bang Theory' with it flashing through different menus ​and even showing me the entire world on a couple of occasions!

Following advice on this threat I checked the screen and it was covered in finger prints.

Gave it a good clean and then took it for a ride yesterday (with the bike) and all was good.

It was only a 80 mile ride but it looks promising

Thanks again

Mike

Hey all I know this topic has been done to death but after nearly 2 years of light use my Nav6 started to play up on a ride on Sunday. Usually I keep it in the house but I left it connected to the bike. Only mentioning that in case temperature changes are a factor.

I rode the bike 2 weeks ago and the Nav6 worked flawlessly and was fully charged. Came to start the bike on Sunday and at first it didn't turn on at all, then when it did it flashed up with a white screen and "touch dot" in the bottom left corner but I was unable to press it. Then the unit powered off, back on again and repeat. Eventually about half hour into the ride it came on properly but I started having the issue with it thinking I was touching the screen when I wasn't. I stopped and cleaned the screen (which wasn't dirty to begin with) and tried again and the same problem occurred.

When I got home I cleaned it again thoroughly but the problem still persisted. Eventually I took the battery out, left it for half hour then powered it up and it wanted me to do the calibration, but it was refusing to register most of my touches. Eventually it booted up and "seems" fine. I did a simulated 100mile route and it was fine.

I'm assuming that as it's 23 months since I bought it it's not under warranty? I'm now wondering if I should rely on it anymore or if this was just a freak occurrence? I guess only time will tell.

Hey all I know this topic has been done to death but after nearly 2 years of light use my Nav6 started to play up on a ride on Sunday. Usually I keep it in the house but I left it connected to the bike. Only mentioning that in case temperature changes are a factor.

I rode the bike 2 weeks ago and the Nav6 worked flawlessly and was fully charged. Came to start the bike on Sunday and at first it didn't turn on at all, then when it did it flashed up with a white screen and "touch dot" in the bottom left corner but I was unable to press it. Then the unit powered off, back on again and repeat. Eventually about half hour into the ride it came on properly but I started having the issue with it thinking I was touching the screen when I wasn't. I stopped and cleaned the screen (which wasn't dirty to begin with) and tried again and the same problem occurred.

When I got home I cleaned it again thoroughly but the problem still persisted. Eventually I took the battery out, left it for half hour then powered it up and it wanted me to do the calibration, but it was refusing to register most of my touches. Eventually it booted up and "seems" fine. I did a simulated 100mile route and it was fine.

I'm assuming that as it's 23 months since I bought it it's not under warranty? I'm now wondering if I should rely on it anymore or if this was just a freak occurrence? I guess only time will tell.

Flag it up with your dealer as a problem. If its 23months old it's still under warranty so they should be able to log it with Garmin and maybe replace it. If you wait until it's 2 years old it's out of BMW warranty and up to you to sort it with Garmin directly.

I am on my 4th unit now since may 18. all with the same problem. the last one was out of the 3 month warranty, that Garmin give for refurb units. I had a long game of email tennis stating units not fit, supposed high end units, not fit, all I am going receive from you is a refurbished unit that no doubt had the very same problem that I am complaining about blah blah blah. in the end they agreed to send me a refurbed unit, as a goodwill gesture, alas still with only 90 day warranty. Every thing about it is the same, apps, pages etc etc, however, to me the screen seems clearer (although nothing to compare it to) the digits, words, maps all seem sharper, bit like going from normal def to high def, and another thing I noticed, it connected to my computer (Mac)and Garmin express, a lot quicker, to plan a route with basecamp. I am one month in so have to wait and see. if this fails it will probably be my last one. revert to soggy maps in tank bags.

I am on my 4th unit now since may 18. all with the same problem. the last one was out of the 3 month warranty, that Garmin give for refurb units. I had a long game of email tennis stating units not fit, supposed high end units, not fit, all I am going receive from you is a refurbished unit that no doubt had the very same problem that I am complaining about blah blah blah. in the end they agreed to send me a refurbed unit, as a goodwill gesture, alas still with only 90 day warranty. Every thing about it is the same, apps, pages etc etc, however, to me the screen seems clearer (although nothing to compare it to) the digits, words, maps all seem sharper, bit like going from normal def to high def, and another thing I noticed, it connected to my computer (Mac)and Garmin express, a lot quicker, to plan a route with basecamp. I am one month in so have to wait and see. if this fails it will probably be my last one. revert to soggy maps in tank bags.
Did you have to pay again for the latest refurb replacement or was that sent free under the goodwill you mention.
Do you think it could be the "refresh" version you have now been sent?. does it come up with "make life a ride" when it starts up as I think that is what the refresh version does.
I've just received my third Nav vi after paying £141. 1st two failed with the ghost touch problem , one replaced under warranty. This last one I've had to pay as it was more than 2 years since I bought the first one, so out of warranty. I questioned why this last one Ive been sent wasn't the refresh version but only got a standard reply saying they only replace like for like. Also asked why only 90 day warranty and mentioned sale of goods act etc. but that was all dismissed as not applicable as I'd bought my original one from dealer and to take it up with them. Just don't understand why they won't say if the refurb units they send out have had the screen problem fixed\redesigned. And if they haven't, why don;t they send out the "refresh" versions as refurb replacements. Must cost them more in the long term due to bad PR and actually sending out potentially faulty units that may also get returned under the 90 day period. Simple answer I suppose is that they have a stockpile of older Nav VI to get rid of??.

This latest one is a goodwill exchange, sent my unit to garmin who then sent it back after 3/4 days. All the other exchanges were done at Williams

To achieve, we must first attempt.

I purchased my Nav 6 in October 2019. Due to C19 it didn't get much use in 2020, then on a trip to Scotland in 2021 the screen started to change on its own. It was exchanged for a refresh unit in September 2021. I haven't been on my bike since then so it hasn't been used.
I've just tried to switch it on to update my music and the screen just says "reset user data" and 2 buttons "yes/no"
Neither button recognises a touch so the unit is stuck on this screen.
I presume the screen thinks it is being touched in the bottom right corner and thinks I want to reset the unit ?

Garmin have replaced my Nav 6 four times. The latest is their "Refresh" version delivered in July last year, which was supposed to fix all these ghosting issues etc.

STOP PRESS NEWS. THE REFRESH VERSION HAS THE SAME PROBLEMS BUT WORSE.

A week or two after delivery of the "Refresh' it started to switch itself off. Then a week or two after that the "Ghosting" started all over again. A reset seemed to solve the issue and I carried on using it relegating the Nav 6 to a secondary roll, relying on the new BMW ConnectedRide App for primary Nav or leaving the Nav 6 behind altogether. On January 4th I left for an extended tour from Vienna across Italy, France, around the coasts of Spain and Portugal before returning home. It was a great ride.

You guessed it, the Nav 6 started playing up again but worse than ever before. Whilst riding a very twisty, unlit part of the coastal freeway along the south of France and into Italy at night, the screen started strobing at full brightness flashing up a multitude of screens, which was distracting, blinding and dam dangerous to say the least of it. Moreover it then started inserting its own destinations at random, announcing aural and totally erroneous directions through my headset. (as an aside I'd left the Nav 6 connected to get speed camera warnings). I wanted to pull over to switch the bleep, bleep thing off and remove it from the mount, but considered stopping on this bit of unlit motorway to be even more dangerous than the bleep, bleep Garmin. Finally I did get to stop at a motorway exit, removed this very expensive piece of crâp from its mount and threw it in my back box never to re-emerge and or be used again.

Garmin have been very good in some respects replacing failed units, but really enough is enough. Last time they replaced it I asked for a replacement XT, they refused stating that the Nav 6 was a 'BMW' item. I've now written to them again regarding these latest incidence, they have dispatched yet another unit with profuse apologies.

Does this ever end. I have just sent my 4th one back, it lasted 3 months, garmin are sending out a refresh as a replacement. I had hoped these new ones would work but reading you post, it would appear not. WTF is up with these things I think wapping sent his back after failing.

Back
Top Bottom