RANDOM SCREEN CHANGES - It's a Garmin problem, specific to the Nav VI device

In this thread there are users who have left the nav connected via a USB (not in the cradle) and still the screen changes.

I've now had 5 nav 6's suffer the same issue, pretty sure Garmin wouldn't replace if the causative issue was with the bike.

Bods have all sorts of problems for various reasons. There are reports that bods can’t charge their devices via its USB and can’t get their device to connect to their computer.

No, but they’ll address the problem with the bike, under warranty.

Did you run a bead of silicon around the edge of screen on this last one (like you mentioned in previous post). Just wondering so I know if you did that it doesn't help (or it makes it worse). Other thing; you dont have a screen protector on it do you?? , I tried one on previous nav & it made it worse at ghosting & not responding to touch. Keep us updated how you get on with Garmin and getting another new refurbished one.

Hi I didn’t add the silicone, thought better of it as it may void the warranty. I have never used a screen saver. Looks like I am not the only one on number 5 being returned. Not best to say the least. Already mentioned but I am 2 weeks in with this “make life a ride” version.

hi all, i'm on my second unit now, after forking out £140 to garmin.
like most of you, i was curious about what was causing the ghosting. was it the bike? nope, still did it off bike. was it finger smudges? nope, cleaned screen and still problem. was it damp in the touchscreen? to check this i placed unit face down (with battery removed) on the bed of my 3d printer. i set bed temp to 50 Deg C. leave for 4/5 hours to "dry out?" screen. remove unit, let cool, replace battery and power up. ghosting no longer present. A result! Well not really, 6/8 weeks later ghosting reappears. Good news though, repeat drying cycle and i have a satnav i can use for a few months.
so could it be damp affecting the screen? Anybody else having ghosting?(bloody loads i would think) that have access to this method of drying? i would be interested if its not just my unit.
look forward to others results

hi all, i'm on my second unit now, after forking out £140 to garmin.

A. Was your first device the earlier (pre-Make Life a Ride) model?

B. Is your replacement (the one you stumped up £140 for) the ‘Make Life a Ride’ model?

Anyone without a 3D printer can maybe just put the device in the airing cupboard or set the oven to about 40 degrees.

both device are the earlier model, unit was swapped? bought last feb so out of 3 month warranty.
i chose 50 deg as in spain in summer i've seen 45deg in the shade so uit should/does take the heat.

Mine does this now. Really winds me up.

I am ready to change to a Zumo XT I think and get rid of the Nav6 but the fact that it is also a Garmin unit bothers me a little, as does the additional faff of transferring files to the device with additional software packages. I will still make the change though. The Nav 6 is not a good device and the UI is poor.

….as does the additional faff of transferring files to the device with additional software packages

The seamless Bluetooth transfer is one of the XT’s better abilities. It will of course also work from BaseCamp / MapSource, just as the Nav V and other Garmin devices always have done.

Bods have all sorts of problems for various reasons. There are reports that bods can’t charge their devices via its USB and can’t get their device to connect to their computer.

No, but they’ll address the problem with the bike, under warranty.

Did BMW confirm your Nav VI was a device or bike problem?

My latest Nav VI has started playing up - this time the screen is unresponsive, Can't turn it off without removing the battery, can't do a factory reset as the Yes button (to confirm) doesn't work and can't do a screen calibration either - the nav doesn't enter that mode by holding the on/off button and the top left corner of the screen at the point of switching on.

Not even three weeks on this one.

6th Nav VI, the last two are the Make Life A Ride newer type in sealed BMW boxes - not the plain white that the refurbs came in.

Did BMW confirm your Nav VI was a device or bike problem?

Not yet.

I have been piddled around by them a bit.

They wanted some more paperwork from me.

The bod dealing with it left.

Then someone else wanted the same paperwork again.

Then they went to sleep.

I am in no pressing rush though, as I have alternative devices to use and am Beta testing a new version of the BMW Connect app.

Mine is now also possessed by a demon with the screen randomly moving. If I have the map open it will select its own destinations and waypoints. It is 2 and half years old, but I have gone back to the supplying dealer and said that I will pursue through Trading Standards as it is not fit for purpose. He is looking at getting it replaced via BMW, so will wait and see. I am certain that it is an issue with screen because if I push down on it in the bottom rh corner it stops acting erratically. The unit was fine when I put it away in the draw in my office last October, but got it out to use at the beginning of the week and went awol. I have a 595 that I will rig up as a temporary measure until this is sorted.

Out yesterday and whilst following a route the screen would change as if I’d touched it and show up a little flag ( like a waypoint) pressing the back button it would return to the normal map screen.
The unit is 11 months old.
Not the end of the world but with a long trip coming up soon I’m concerned it’s going to get worse. I’ll contact Garmin and see what they say.
Had a zumo 390 ( I think) for about 7 years and never had an issue.

Not even three weeks on this one.

6th Nav VI, the last two are the Make Life A Ride newer type in sealed BMW boxes - not the plain white that the refurbs came in.

Given up on the nav VI and bought an XT.

Whatever is causing the issues with the nav VI is unlikely to go away.

A great and useful thread, I have a Nav 6 (purchased with the bike in Dec 2020) and the random screen changes and selections are happening to me and getting worse whilst riding. I was thinking 'loose connections, fly wheel problems' etc until I read this.

Will take to the dealer and see what they say in respect to issuing a replacement. Not a fan of the sat nav or basecamp in any case but to live with it and write off what I paid for the device is not an option.

Same. I am going to take my Nav 6 back to the dealership and if they don't want to know then it will just go in the bin.

BMW Sat Nav has 2 year warranty. I have just had mine replaced as a goodwill because it was 2 and half years old. Will see how long this one lasts.

same here just got an xt and ditched the nav 6 refresh,fitted in the bmw mount using the italian 3dam mount

Well my brand new out of the box lasted all of 5 minutes until it started going awol. Map screen jumping about and selecting its own destinations.

As BMW have now had my ‘Make Life a Ride’ version Nav VI for over two months, I have told them I just want my money back. Not least as I have absolutely no faith that any replacement device will be any better.

Not sure what BMW will do/offer when I call them next week. I am like you, have no faith any replacement NAV VI will be any better.

I have a pretty good relationship with BMW Park Lane and have helped them out in the past, lending them a set of brand new tyres for a 1600, when they couldn’t get some for a customer. This meant their customer could go on their holiday.

Back
Top Bottom