RANDOM SCREEN CHANGES - It's a Garmin problem, specific to the Nav VI device

There is plenty the dealerships and / or BMW can do. They can admit that the original (pre-Make Life a Ride) units were very often flawed and the the new ‘Make Life a Ride’ units are often equally faulty. Both are branded BMW products, designed to suit BMW motorcycles, which do not function reliably. When they do dysfunction, the devices are unusable. In short, I don’t care whether the problem lies with BMW or with Garmin. I also don’t care if BMW are ‘working to fix it’, as that does not help me or anyone else who wants to use the Nav VI and any bespoke routes I have created.

Components do have problems, which only manifest themselves after man-hours of use. Easy examples would be the fuel pump controller on 1200 bikes and the footrests on some other models. Similarly, my motorhome has a recall campaign to sort a possible brake problem out. I can understand - but care not - that these are safety issues, hence the manufacturer treats them differently.

It is an expensive, BMW branded device, which does not work as it should. Previous iterations of the device (right back to whenever BMW first climbed into bed with Garmin) did work very reliably; this indicates that the Nav VI should too, but it doesn’t. Attempts to mend it have not worked. I’ll have my money back from BMW and they can spend their time debating it with Garmin or whoever designed / built the device.

My 2yr old replacement Nav VI has started displaying the highlighted issues. The original Nav VI was bought it 5yrs ago (just gone in March). So BMW are only now offering 50% contribution to a new one, rather than an immediate replacement. Consumer Rights covers it for 6yrs (fit for purpose) but I simply don't have the time/energy to push that. I will see how my Nav VI works for a weeks tour in Scotland in May and then make a final decision to buy a new (£275 outlay) or give up. I have the quadlock (incl charger) on the bike now but the BMW App maps arent as clear (to me) as the Nav VI - so that doesnt fit my requirements either.

I agree with Wapping's sentiment on BMW/Garmin - they have obviously decided that fixing the issue is more expensive/hassle than having the odd customer complaint. The new phone cradle points to them moving away from Nav VI........but they are still selling them new!

I’m now shivering in my boots with a planned Euro trip on 1st of May.

Several Routes planned and loaded, but liable to fall over as soon as I leave home.

The stories above have swayed me from buying another Nav6. New or otherwise.

I’ve been considering an older device as a backup.

I reset my Nav6 and removed the internal SD card as I don’t think it’s been serving any useful purpose.

As well as a few rides, I’ve been road testing the device in my car to just see if it will hold up during a journey.

It’s a worry I could do without.

I’m now shivering in my boots with a planned Euro trip on 1st of May.

Several Routes planned and loaded, but liable to fall over as soon as I leave home.

The stories above have swayed me from buying another Nav6. New or otherwise.

I’ve been considering an older device as a backup.

I reset my Nav6 and removed the internal SD card as I don’t think it’s been serving any useful purpose.

As well as a few rides, I’ve been road testing the device in my car to just see if it will hold up during a journey.

It’s a worry I could do without.

The last comment I had from the Dealer was that they were saying the majority of problems "in the colder weather".....

Ignore the dealer - unless October, down south, is "colder weather".

Not heard of issues with the V or IV.

I have recalibrated the screen and will be trying again today. Dealer said to send back and he will swap it. I might give Garmin a call and get their opinion. Or I might just reattach my 595 and use that.

Well since recalibrating the screen and giving a wipe over, the unit worked as it should. Will be trying it again over the next few days and see how it goes.

BMW Garvin Nav VI is a $950 USD hockey puck or frisbee.

Well since recalibrating the screen and giving a wipe over, the unit worked as it should. Will be trying it again over the next few days and see how it goes.
:okay

The BMW Garmin Nav VI is a $950 USD hockey puck, or frisbee! They do a head fake by selling us a motorcycle with an empty cradle that is already wired. I wish someone had posted my comment like this here and I had read it before buying the piece of crap. I would not have spent the money. The next bike owner of my R1250 GSA can have the cradle and the Nav VI (after a master reset). My iPhone with OsMand app and Bad Elf Bluetooth GPS is much more functional, reliable, and does not require hours of pre-trip software calisthenics like the terrible Garmin Basecamp software. Import .gpx files from the many available sites for free, or from REVER (friend others) onto your phone, and then into Osmand. Or record your trip tracks save them, redo. :okayI have the iPhone attached to the Nav bar with a 3/8 inch RAM clamp and RAM phone holder. If you are concerned about ride vibrations potentially damaging your iPhone camera image stabilizer, then instead of a RAM setup do a Quad Lock phone mount setup including their Quad Lock vibration dampener. Lets all continue to make noise about the terrible BMW Garmin Nav VI - DO NOT BUY IT.

My bike / Nav does the same.

I am convinced its the cradle or at the very least the contacts not lining up perfectly.
i grabbed hold of it while it was acting up and tried to wiggle it and it stopped for a while

The next time i am on a ride and it starts, i am going to put some tape over the pins and ride again, to see if that stops it?

Mine was doing it while it was sitting on my desk, so I know it is not the bike. My new one started again to do its own thing, so that has now gone back.

My ‘Make Life a Ride’ Nav VI did it with me walking down the road. I was on my way to slinging it into the ditch….. and I like Garmin devices.

There is plenty the dealerships and / or BMW can do. They can admit that the original (pre-Make Life a Ride) units were very often flawed and the the new ‘Make Life a Ride’ units are often equally faulty. Both are branded BMW products, designed to suit BMW motorcycles, which do not function reliably. When they do dysfunction, the devices are unusable. In short, I don’t care whether the problem lies with BMW or with Garmin. I also don’t care if BMW are ‘working to fix it’, as that does not help me or anyone else who wants to use the Nav VI and any bespoke routes I have created.

Components do have problems, which only manifest themselves after man-hours of use. Easy examples would be the fuel pump controller on 1200 bikes and the footrests on some other models. Similarly, my motorhome has a recall campaign to sort a possible brake problem out. I can understand - but care not - that these are safety issues, hence the manufacturer treats them differently.

It is an expensive, BMW branded device, which does not work as it should. Previous iterations of the device (right back to whenever BMW first climbed into bed with Garmin) did work very reliably; this indicates that the Nav VI should too, but it doesn’t. Attempts to mend it have not worked. I’ll have my money back from BMW and they can spend their time debating it with Garmin or whoever designed / built the device.

BMW have just confirmed that they are assessing my request (demand) of a full refund, as opposed to a new replacement device.

BMW have just confirmed that they are assessing my request (demand) of a full refund, as opposed to a new replacement device.

Now the bloke has gone on holiday. A basket load of chimps does not describe them accurately.

Now the bloke has gone on holiday. A basket load of chimps does not describe them accurately.

You're telling me!

I was wondering if you - or anyone here - would be able to assist.

I am currently in London, where I am from and have just returned from Southern Africa where I have been living for a few years. My NAV 6 died in rural Mozambique about five weeks ago and I have been working with Park Lane (where it is from) for a replacement.

The original device is from 2017, and this one that died was a replacement from October 2019.

Garmin UK have told me that BMW must replace it, but BMW PL are dragging their feet and telling me their dealer rep at Garmin, Bjorn, is refusing it.

I am dealing with Robbie, who seems really useless and doesn't reply to my emails sometimes for 10 days. I got his mananger - Darragh - involved, but it's going slowly. Each pointing to the other.

I don't have much of a relationship with the dealership due to my being away with COVID etc.

Anyone have any leads here?

Thanks so much. Very distressing, especially when I see the Garmin replacement at £145 only has a 90 day warrenty...

Pay by credit card and you will be covered for longer.

I have, this afternoon, received confirmation that the full cash refund for my shonky, new version (Make Life a Ride) Navigator VI is now winging its way back to me, courtesy of BMW.

At the start and again during this somewhat protracted process I made it very clear to BMW that:

1. The problems with this model and its earlier versions are well known.

2. None of the problems I experienced were self-induced or created by the bike.

3. I had no faith that a replacement device would be any better, nor - more importantly - was I prepared to take a chance that it might be.

4. The device was well within its warranty period, only about four months old.

5. Since handing the device back (way back in January) I had bought from BMW the ‘Connected’ cradle. Along the same grounds, my new 1600 (when it arrives) will have the same cradle built in. I had also bought an XT. In short, there is no gap in my life for a Navigator VI to fill.

i wasn’t inconvenienced in the slow process, so I just let it run, simply chasing them up evey month or so to remind them that a replacement would NOT be acceptable. Every day, week and month that passed played to my advantage, as it was them (not me) that were dragging their heels. Each delay, strengthened my case, that BMW were at fault in the process. At each stage I remained polite, with no silly references to the Sale of Goods Act or stuff like that. It’s really not necessary, as the device (and lots of others) manifestly just does not work reliably. It is that plain and simple.

It matters not one jot to me if this was BMW’s fault or Garmin’s or the cause of the problem; it was and is completely irrelevant. BMW - backed by a wealth of advertising that it’s a great device - sold it to me, so they needed to give me my money back; simple as that. I now have my money and my interest in the affair is closed.

Back
Top Bottom