Oil consumption F750GS 3000 miles

mrklunk

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Morning all, checked oil last night and it's just below the minimum (yes engine was hot) the bike has only done 3000 miles! Waiting on a callback from BMW to get it checked but surely that's not right/acceptable on a new bike? Thoughts/comment appreciated before I head up there.

depends what it started at - what was the level when it was new?

Morning all, checked oil last night and it's just below the minimum (yes engine was hot) the bike has only done 3000 miles! Waiting on a callback from BMW to get it checked but surely that's not right/acceptable on a new bike? Thoughts/comment appreciated before I head up there.

Have you followed the instructions in the BMW Handbook on exactly the procedure of how and when to check the oil?

Just a thought..

The bike had an oil service at 600 miles by BMW. My question is, are they supposed to consume that amount of oil?

The bike had an oil service at 600 miles by BMW. My question is, are they supposed to consume that amount of oil?

but what did it start at??

if they only filed it to just above minimum at the service, then it has still used very little oil

Not sure. For £205 I expected they would've filled it properly.

It needs a new rocket cover gasket apparently.

UPDATE:

Just got this from BMW....

Hi Gary,

On further inspection the bike requires a new coil pack and a spark plug (as well as the rocker cover seal)

The parts may be a couple of weeks

UPDATE:

Just got this from BMW....

Hi Gary,

On further inspection the bike requires a new coil pack and a spark plug (as well as the rocker cover seal)

The parts may be a couple of weeks

How odd

at least you know what it is - is this a warranty claim?

Yes, all under warranty. God knows what would've happened if I hadn't checked the oil? Seizure?

If the bike is loosing oil from a defective rocker cover gasket, I'd have thought you might have spotted some sort of leakage - you know, the old fashioned oil patch on the floor under the bike!

And just because you've paid someone to service your machine doesn't mean you shouldn't check the basic stuff before you ride it.
I realise you've now spotted the low oil level, but as has been asked, what was the level after the 600 mile service? Did you only think to check the oil level after a further 2400 miles?

If the bike is loosing oil from a defective rocker cover gasket, I'd have thought you might have spotted some sort of leakage - you know, the old fashioned oil patch on the floor under the bike!

And just because you've paid someone to service your machine doesn't mean you shouldn't check the basic stuff before you ride it.
I realise you've now spotted the low oil level, but as has been asked, what was the level after the 600 mile service? Did you only think to check the oil level after a further 2400 miles?

I have checked it but not as diligently as I should have. If I pay BMW £205 for an oil service I still have to check it to make sure they actually put oil in it?

It sits on my patio overnight, no oil there at all.

A new bike is likely to use a bit of oil until the engine gets run in, some earlier BMWs were notorious for burning oil until 20k miles

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

A new bike is likely to use a bit of oil until the engine gets run in, some earlier BMWs were notorious for burning oil until 20k miles

It had faulty rocket seal, coil and spark plug now repaired under warranty. I had its oil service at 600 miles and is now at 3500.

There’s no relationship between a boxer engine and the f series. I’ve had 3 parallel twin f and don’t remember them ever using oil. A leaking valve cover gasket would allow oil to leak but it should be quite noticeable. JJH

Back
Top Bottom