RiDE Guide to Spain and Portugal

Wapping

Reaction score
Is now available on the magazine’s website.

https://www.ride.co.uk

Here is how to use it:

Click (or tap if you are on an iPad) on the drawing of Spain shown below:

4e4d4588e19a0a31b97bb3d4735bde13.plist

This will open up a page showing where the 60 or so route suggestions are. Click on the town that is closest to where you’ll be:

5472af437e94312c76e3132ecfc625af.plist

For example, if you think you’d like to take the ferry across to Santander but your time in Spain is limited, you might decide that in or around Laredo is a good idea. Click on Laredo, which will open up ideas on towns to stay in or near (Laredo, Potes and Zarautz) and a suggestion for a presumably ‘biker friendly’ hotel in each:

47d342eba412a262baff057db05e181e.plist

Scroll down a bit and you’ll get ideas on things to see and do, when you are not hooning your awesome around the twisities:

caec8adbc5830357357ca70962ba914b.plist

Scroll down a bit further and you’ll find all the route suggestions for the town you have chosen, a pretty good description of what you might expect to experience and a rough map on the sort of direction the routes take. All are downloadable as a gpx file:

ea879c48d2af7c9d5954875b89763a1e.plist

The gpx files download well. Here’s the ‘Potes Triangle’, downloaded and opened in the Scenic app:

0012b020f828910542a2493ad895a104.png

Do you want a longer ‘touring’ holiday or go to one of the Spanish rounds of the MotoGP circus and want a route idea on how to get there? Then click on the boxes. A for the MotoGP’s and B for touring suggestions:

ce3c0bc432c3833da2236b56cbba3fab.plist

What will the weather be like, mate?’ Yes, that’s answered, too:

0a5570c1f0d916975de88422e26bb7f1.plist

Not surprisingly, it’s ‘kin hot in the height of summer. Equally unsurprising is that it’s ‘kin cold in the middle of winter, unless you head towards the south.... and yup, they ski in the winter in the mountains, which means it must snow quite a lot over quite a wide area and yup, snow can be ‘iffy’.

In short, anyone and everyone now has a the answer to “Me and my six mates want to do Spain. We have a week and want places to see and do, great roads, no motorways and places to stay”. Yes, you’ll have to work at it a bit but it’s not that hard. Click around, you can’t break it. Is the hotel full on Booking.com? Try ringing them up or just send them an email. Don’t speak Spanish? Run the words through Google translate. In other words, try..... and above all, use some imagination; it’s why you bought an Adventure bike..... RiDE and this thread have told you how. The rest is up to you.

PS I did this on an iPad, it really is that easy.

Is this not available in a published edition of the magazine yet? Could not see it in WHS

Any chance of a link mate... And where's the best place to buy pesetas, and how much will i need ?

Is this not available in a published edition of the magazine yet? Could not see it in WHS

I think it was published a while ago. It’s just taken while to arrive on their website, where it’s been showing as ‘Coming soon’. It’s now arrived.

I may be teaching Granny to suck eggs but If you are looking at this on an iPad it can all look a bit busy and distracting. Try tapping the aA icon in the menu bar and tap on “request mobile website” and then again on the aA icon and select “show reader view”

Attachments

• CFF5C524-470B-475F-ABAA-4505511A23EA.jpg
    CFF5C524-470B-475F-ABAA-4505511A23EA.jpg
    103.1 KB · Views: 631
Ridden a lot of the roads in the Pyrenees routes and they are fantastic, and relatively quiet (certainly a bit less traffic than the Alps in most places)

With Weather you get what you get, we went early September the 1st time and it was wet a lot of the time and quite cool, but the previous 3 weeks had been scorchio every day, last year we went in early June which statistically should be worse and had mazing weather, temps in mid-high 20's every day (but never humid, so quite pleasant at all times) and we only had 1 wet day in the 8 days we were in Spain (got wet to and from the Ferry in the UK)

May is iffy in Pyrenees as many passes could still be closed, but if you got lucky late May you might be able to ride through and enjoy lots of snow at the roadside on high passes, but I like Late June for both Alps and Pyrenees, not many tourists out yet, snow covered mountains and the odd wall / tunnel of snow to ride through (particularly on high Alps passes)

Southern Spain in November sounds great - except you have to get there in the first place, might be awesome for a fly and rent winter break.

Back
Top Bottom