Garmin memory card for Morocco

Markyboy

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi All,

Anyone know or have for sale a memory card or download to get morocco on my BMW Nav 6.

Thanks

I think I have but I’m not home at moment.

If you pm me I’ll check when I get back on Tuesday.

Mark

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Be careful buying an SD card of Garmin maps from somebody else. They are sometimes coded / keyed to specific devices, rendering them useless to someone else. As wessie says, Open Street Maps are free to download, reliable and may well be more detailed.

Ok guys I'm going to check out the openstreetmaps as suggested above. Itll be a learning curve....

If you get stuck, the gps section will sort you out.

I know nothing about computers (but a bit about gps devices) and managed to install OS maps without too much trouble. Just follow the instructions.

https://shop.talkytoaster.me.uk/maps/africa/

TT 1:50K Look n Feel[FONT=&quot]This one mimics the Garmin Discoverer map but is based on OSM data. This map is recommended for walkers, off-road cyclists, geocachers, etc.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]It is not suitable for use as a sat-nav on roads as the routing is significantly different as it will route down footpaths, bridleways and other tracks as well as roads. It is designed to route off-road for hikers, mountain bikers, mountaineers, ultra-athletes, geocachers, greenlaners, military personnel, etc.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]This map style offers the highest level of detail of our OSM based maps, often showing detail (where mapped) that would be only found on 1:25K or higher resolution maps. This includes field boundaries, benches, stiles, gates, water points, scree, bare rock, cave entrances, sink holes, etc.[/FONT]

Will downloading an OSM map cause problems with existing maps on the Nav?

You can enable multiple maps at once through the gps option menu
Thanks Andi. I’ll watch how Markyboy gets on as I need to download a lower states USA map. It’s £35 from Garmin but prob a one off trip.

This is one way of doing it:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/_JWOzAqcKk0" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

If that old duffer (he takes a while to get going) doesn’t do it, Google something like, Open street map to Garmin gps or install open street map Garmin map installer or some similarly brief combination of words. Then surf about to find something whose description works for you. Try the same words in the video option, too. Or just follow the instructions on the OSM web page.

Be careful buying an SD card of Garmin maps from somebody else. They are sometimes coded / keyed to specific devices, rendering them useless to someone else.

A very late reply to this discussion, but perhaps this information might help someone who is looking here in the future.

There are two ways to obtain a Garmin Morocco map: You can buy it and download it and then transfer the file onto a SD card for use in your navigator, or; you can order a little pre-loaded SD card from Garmin.

If you download the map and transfer it to your own SD card, the card will be locked to your serial number of navigator. But, if you order the SD card from Garmin, it can be used in any navigator.

The rationale behind this is fairly simple - Garmin doesn't mind the cartography (the IP) being transferred from one person to another, but they have to implement serial number locking for the downloaded version, otherwise, someone could buy one download and then supply all their friends with maps by just continually transferring the download to new SD cards.

Michael

Back
Top Bottom