Zumo 660 files backup/restore

Status
Not open for further replies.

vee5

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I'm using Basecamp on my PC to create routes for a touring holiday later this year. I've mapped out some really fiddly routes and I'm concerned that if the routes get corrupted on my Zumo 660 I'll be stuffed, so I'd like some kind of backup. I don't want to lug a notebook around with me with Basecamp on it, so I'm wondering if its possible to hold backup route files on a USB stick (or maybe the SD card in the Zumo)?
It looks like the Zumo holds GPX files but the routes on Basecamp are GDB files, so presumably they normally get converted when I download them to the Zumo from my PC. Any ideas on how I could backup and restore my route files on the road without using a PC?

Without using a PC on the road? Not impossible but a real faff. Here’s an example, using an iPad:

https://www.ukgser.com/forums/showt...ing-files-routes-from-an-iPad-to-a-GPS-device

You can download the routes directly to the device’s SD card, they will be quite safe there. When you export the routes from BaseCamp to the device, the conversion will be automatic. If you are concerned that the SD card itself might become corrupted, you can always make a second copy and take that along with you, too. I have never done so, nor do I know anyone who has. The only time I can think this might be helpful is if the owner wanted to bring a completely separate set of maps but as some useable SD cards are now so large (fully capable of carrying the whole of Europe and a separate detailed map of say, Mongolia) I don’t see this as being much of a frequent necessity.

One tip: Always check the routes you have exported to your device BEFORE you leave the comfort of your home and PC. Do they look the same? Do they near enough match estimated mileage and estimated time? Yes? You are good to go. No? Find out why. It’s easier now than in the pouring rain or blazing sun on the side of the road.

Here is what has worked for me for

more years than I can remember.:rob

Only storage medium etc has changed. Choose a storage medium you need. I use a Samsung SSD as I can access its files with my android phone with a single lead keeping to the K.I.S.S principle.
On there, I have a Portable Basecamp - so as long as someone has a windows pc of some sort, even if old, I'm good to go if I need to use it and can run Basecamp without any need for an installation. Simples-

I also carry copies of maps, gpx files, POI's etc in there as well as spare micro SD cards ready to use to save time and the need for faffing.
The term 'backup' can be misleading- Make COPIES of your file by EXPORTING the file from your favourites to your desktop (say) where it be easy to find. The GPX will contain, routes, tracks and POIs if you have them all in a single .GPX file which needs to go in the GPX folder (a sub folder of the Garmin folder) whether in the satnav or the MicroSD card.

You'll need check that the maps AND routing settings set up in Basecamp matches that which is in the satnav else 'things' will get recalculated... mostly resulting in your experiencing an overwhelming urge to strangle the bejesus out of your satnav when it leads you...elsewhere:augie:banghead: but then again that said, when that used to happen in my younger days, it has taken me to some amazing places which I would have otherwise have missed. So, win some, lose some!
This concept has worked for me- you may find it overkill but it has enabled me to help and sort out others stuck on the road, even one on the top of the Stella!
And Wappers is bang on- CHECK and double check that everything works before heading off.
And the best tip for using a sat nav? turn it OFF and enjoy the ride looking at what is around you- then turn it on when it is time to find digs/fuel etc etc

....so as long as someone has a windows pc of some sort....

And there is the fly in the ointment. The fellow wants to do it without recourse to a PC. Of course buying a cheap tablet or one of the many that come up for sale here is ‘easiest’, particularly for the less IT minded amongst us. I include myself in that list.

Spot on with the reminder and support for checking.

There is always a 'fly' somewhere-;) it tests our lateral thinking!! but to help put minds at rest, I have always managed to work on my satnavs without a PC and only needed one to sort out satnav issues like software updates and related unit problems.
And another wee tip if upgrading to the latest unit software before going- download and carry the previous unit software version in case garmin has goofed.... so that you can downgrade by one version which worked well before the update.... don't ask how I know...after nigh on 20 years of using garmin units... requiring a lot of patience and some local anaesthesia :101
We pay for our toys, then...we pay for them!

There is of course an easier way to do it, no need for pc or mac to go away with you, purchase a new fast sd card of around 8gb, what you do next will depend where and how you have your maps stored, if you have the maps on a sd card in your sat nav because they are to big to go on the internal storage of the nav, do this, make a copy of said card to the new card, just copy everything on the card to the new one exactly as it is on the one from the sat nav (you may need to make hidden files visible if working on pc.) mac may be different. once this is done you now have an exact copy of maps and any other data that was on the card, what you can do now to ensure it is working is swap it for the one thats in the sat nav and switch on to check all is working (all ok) if yes leave it in and now transfer all your routes you wish to back up and take along with you on the trip using your normal method, but instead of sending your routes to the zumo choose the sd card location instead, once you have transfered all your routes that you need remove the card and replace with your original you now have a back up of your maps and routes to take with you.
If shit were to happen while away and you lost your routes for whatever reason, you would replace the card with your backup and then turn your unit on and go to tools, my data, import data, Routes, and select any one of the routes you require and import it to the nav.

Now if you have no sd card in the nav to begin with (becauase you may be only using a small region that fits on the internal memmory of the nav) all you will need to do is insert a card and send your required routes to the card and then once done remove the card and you have your back up. if you then need to use for whatever reason, insert card and then turn your unit on and go to tools, my data, import data, Routes, and select any one of the routes you require and import it to the nav.
Trust me this sounds a lot more complicated than it actualy is, but it will work and no need for pc or mac to go away with.

Hope this helps

Hope this helps
as much as a chocolate connecting rod ...:confused:
434 words to just say ' copy the gpx file onto a separate micro-sd card'- when 9 words does the job! (and has already been said) :blast
You need to lay off the :spl1f: :D

as much as a chocolate connecting rod ...:confused:
434 words to just say ' copy the gpx file onto a separate micro-sd card'- when 9 words does the job! (and has already been said) :blast
You need to lay off the :spl1f: :D

So sorry i will endeavour to make my posts more to the point, would your post #3 be a good example.

I guess vee5 has now had his question answered.

Yes, you can back-up, save, copy (call it what you will) all sorts of stuff to an SD card and / or use assorted methods to get data from one place to another, even at the top of a mountain pass. Some methods are easier than others, or at least to me they are.

Many thanks to all that contributed. Your country thanks you.... even if we heard nothing more from the OP.

Case closed.

The OP is most grateful for all the suggestions :beerjug:

I do have an SD card in the Zumo so I'm thinking I'll just buy another SD card - I can then download all my routes and maps from Basecamp, remove the SD card, install the new SD card and download the routes and maps again to the new SD card. The original SD card can then be swapped in if the routes or SD card get corrupted.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom