Route between Windermere & York

Baz

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
In June we will be heading from Windermere and to York before we head back down South. Current thoughts are to head via Aysgarth, Grassington & Knaresborough unless there are any better routes.
Any thoughts appreciated.
Ta Baz

If you have the time then do Wrynose and Hardknott passes on the way to Ayesgarth - if you have not done them before then worth doing !

If you have the time then do Wrynose and Hardknott passes on the way to Ayesgarth - if you have not done them before then worth doing !

Ill do those the day before, cheers.

If you’re up for a long day.
Head over Kirkstone pass to Poolybridge, over Hartside pass to Alston, Alston to Middleton Teasdale, then to Brough and Kirkby Stephen.Up to the Tan Hill pub along to Reeth, Richmond and Thirsk.

^^^^^^^^^ What he said...:okay

Alternatively, at Brough go to Kirkby Stephen, Nateby, Thwaite, then turn right over Buttertubs Pass to Hawes and head back East towards A1 and follow your nose to York.

Thanks for the replies, I’ll see what I can plot 👍

Delightful, going up there this weekend and staying in Leyburn, albeit on four wheels with wifey and daughter.

If you’re up for a long day.
Head over Kirkstone pass to Poolybridge, over Hartside pass to Alston, Alston to Middleton Teasdale, then to Brough and Kirkby Stephen.Up to the Tan Hill pub along to Reeth, Richmond and Thirsk.

+1 for that. I do all those roads fairly regularly and they are all brilliant bike roads.

I usually start around Devil's bridge for a bacon butty, then along to Ingleton, Hawes, and everywhere round there is amazing. Buttertubs, and the road from Ingleton to Hawes, and Ribblehead Viaduct to Horton in Ribblesdale (B6479) are my favourites :)

Another variation on the theme and some of the best riding roads in the UK :beerjug:

Attachments

• 0C21ACBC-C0FF-47D4-A721-450698E85853.jpg
    0C21ACBC-C0FF-47D4-A721-450698E85853.jpg
    237.6 KB · Views: 320
Winderemere - Kendal - Sedbergh - Garesdale - Hawes - Aysgarth - Leyburn - Masham - Ripon - Bourghbridge - Greenhamerton - York - 95m and roughly 2h25m if you don't stop, but you will, it's a lovely ride :bow

Loads of coffee stop options btw

Attachments

• Windermere-York.jpg
    Windermere-York.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 279
thats virtually all on A roads not what i'd expect to ride on a GS!!!

Sorry to disappoint you, I wasn’t aware this was an off road project. Anyway, if you want to spice it up a bit try this...

Winderemere - Kendal - Sedbergh - Garesdale - Hawes, then drop down southward - Gayle - Oughtershaw - Buckden - Kettlwell - Grassington - Patley Bridge - Summerbridge - Burnt Yates - Arkendale, then drop down the old A1 (now the A168) to the A59 and on toward York. 102m, less cafes but you will get refreshments in Kettlewll, Grassington or Patley Bridge.

It's a slower route than my first one, but quite spectacular in places

Attachments

• Try two.jpg
    Try two.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 243
Sorry to disappoint you, I wasn’t aware this was an off road project. Anyway, if you want to spice it up a bit try this...

Winderemere - Kendal - Sedbergh - Garesdale - Hawes, then drop down southward - Gayle - Oughtershaw - Buckden - Kettlwell - Grassington - Patley Bridge - Summerbridge - Burnt Yates - Arkendale, then drop down the old A1 (now the A168) to the A59 and on toward York. 102m, less cafes but you will get refreshments in Kettlewll, Grassington or Patley Bridge.

That's a little better I forgot you used to have the RT never mind.

I will be riding a Triumph Trophy so defo not an off road adventure.

Thats pretty much what I plotted, but added Aysgarth falls as well:thumby:

+1 for that. I do all those roads fairly regularly and they are all brilliant bike roads.

Ill cover the Hartside & Kirkstone pass on a rideout I have planned.

Thats pretty much what I plotted, but added Aysgarth falls as well:thumby:

Don't miss out the bit between Hawes, Oughtershaw and Buckden Baz, it's the best bit by far :thumb2

Don't miss out the bit between Hawes, Oughtershaw and Buckden Baz, it's the best bit by far :thumb2

Fleet Moss is a great road provided old dears in cars let you past, although they usually do (except when I'm in my car :blast ).

The best riding road is Hawes - Ribblehead - Settle IMHO, but watch out for the scamera vans :thumb

Back
Top Bottom