Hayes update

If there are suitable drop in replacement Brembos available now then BMW ought to be fitting them.

The brembos from a 1200 will bolt straight on. BMW UK won’t allow it due to “ homologation issues”! I’d just call it bullshit.

The brembos from a 1200 will bolt straight on. BMW UK won’t allow it due to “ homologation issues”! I’d just call it bullshit.

I wouldn't call bullshit on that to be honest. The bike has been homologated for the road using the Hayes calipers so by changing them since they're a safety feature, as you've correctly pointed out in the past, it's not longer homologated for the road and the dealership would be liable if something happened as a result. So they're just covering their backs, which is fair enough. Granted, we all know that they would be fine if installed correctly.

I wouldn't call bullshit on that to be honest. The bike has been homologated for the road using the Hayes calipers so by changing them since they're a safety feature, as you've correctly pointed out in the past, it's not longer homologated for the road and the dealership would be liable if something happened as a result. So they're just covering their backs, which is fair enough. Granted, we all know that they would be fine if installed correctly.

BMW will be able to work around this quite easily if they wished to, it shouldn’t be more than a paperwork exercise to approve both brake manufacturers.

BMW will be able to work around this quite easily if they wished to, it shouldn’t be more than a paperwork exercise to approve both brake manufacturers.

Potentially, but it would be at a BMW UK level rather than the dealership being able to just throw them on and comply I would imagine. Maybe they could draft up a disclaimer for this kind of thing to say the user acknowledges that the calipers aren't homoligated for road use and that they are willing to swap them at their own risk, etc., etc.?

Spot on, it’s all down to pounds, shillings and pence.

Of course it is, BMW is a business trying to make money after all. Payouts for damages and doubling up on homologation when a fix is in the pipeline are far more expensive than losing a handful of people buying bikes in the short term so what option do you think they're more likely to take?

Of course it is, BMW is a business trying to make money after all. Payouts for damages and doubling up on homologation when a fix is in the pipeline are far more expensive than losing a handful of people buying bikes in the short term so what option do you think they're more likely to take?

There might also be contractual issues with Hayes.

There might also be contractual issues with Hayes.

I couldn't day for sure as I have no details but I'd imagine that it would something like either a certain minimum quantity per year, or that it was the sole supplier for specified models of BMW bikes. If it was dealer fit then the latter probably wouldn't matter as it's past factory supply anyway. But that's all a guess at best.

I couldn't day for sure as I have no details but I'd imagine that it would something like either a certain minimum quantity per year, or that it was the sole supplier for specified models of BMW bikes. If it was dealer fit then the latter probably wouldn't matter as it's past factory supply anyway. But that's all a guess at best.

Let’s hope they sort it out soon, I was toying with changing my 2018 GS for a 1250 next month, but I now think I’ll hang on until next year - there might be some new colours too, I’m not too fond of the current options.

Let’s hope they sort it out soon, I was toying with changing my 2018 GS for a 1250 next month, but I now think I’ll hang on until next year - there might be some new colours too, I’m not too fond of the current options.

Agreed. I would hope that the new versions have sorted the problem. I'm surprised that they have a new part number to be honest, I'd have thought that it would just be a revision change unless that's how a new revision is captured in the automotive industry? Could also be that they've altered the design slightly to help any machining or assembly issues to improve quality. I'd be interested to see the differences and also wonder if they'll swap out old ones for new ones during servicing or something even if they're not leaking.

Was at my dealers yesterday booking my RT in for its service, they said it would need a brake fluid change, so I jokingly said so my callipers will now leak :) They said they have only see a few GS with weeping callipers. Anyway I asked about the calliper part number change. They said, depending on the bikes VIN number depends on whether the fix is a piston kit or fitting of another calliper and the new part number is just to identify the callipers that have been sorted before shipping. I also asked if they were going back to fitting Brembo to new GS and RT, non was the answer, or if they are, they haven't been told and haven't seen any bikes coming through with Brembo callipers.

My 1250's calipers are fine and give better brake performance (bite) than brembo on previous 1200, very few Haynes calipers are giving problems.

Was at my dealers yesterday booking my RT in for its service, they said it would need a brake fluid change, so I jokingly said so my callipers will now leak :) They said they have only see a few GS with weeping callipers. Anyway I asked about the calliper part number change. They said, depending on the bikes VIN number depends on whether the fix is a piston kit or fitting of another calliper and the new part number is just to identify the callipers that have been sorted before shipping. I also asked if they were going back to fitting Brembo to new GS and RT, non was the answer, or if they are, they haven't been told and haven't seen any bikes coming through with Brembo callipers.

With respect that’s totally contrary to what my dealer is telling me. My bike, before it was delivered to me had a brake caliper change. Today it still has 6 miles on the clock, never ridden and these new calipers are literally dripping brake fluid, not just wearing. The new re-engineered caliper has a completely different part number. The original Hayes calipers are “ no longer available”. New re-engineered calipers are expected in Germany at week 13. Any dealer will tell you this.

I do not know what they will do with bikes whose calipers are not leaking but definitely for those like mine they are being replaced with these re-engineered items. The only problem is, bikes with the problem are not going to be repaired until the end of April 2020.

With respect that’s totally contrary to what my dealer is telling me. My bike, before it was delivered to me had a brake caliper change. Today it still has 6 miles on the clock, never ridden and these new calipers are literally dripping brake fluid, not just wearing. The new re-engineered caliper has a completely different part number. The original Hayes calipers are “ no longer available”. New re-engineered calipers are expected in Germany at week 13. Any dealer will tell you this.

I do not know what they will do with bikes whose calipers are not leaking but definitely for those like mine they are being replaced with these re-engineered items. The only problem is, bikes with the problem are not going to be repaired until the end of April 2020.

What he said isn't contrary to what your dealer told you at all. The old part number is not available to order so that they can make sure only the sorted calipers are being supplied going forward, this is done with a new part number for traceability.

What he said isn't contrary to what your dealer told you at all. The old part number is not available to order so that they can make sure only the sorted calipers are being supplied going forward, this is done with a new part number for traceability.

Agreed, I miss read the comment, apologies.

Agreed, I miss read the comment, apologies.

No worries. Understandable when you're annoyed at not having your bike.

For fear of sounding like a dick, would you have been riding it since 'delivery' had the caliper not been leaking? I imagine most bikes are safely tucked away for winter while the roads are a shit state (mine included), so have you lost much real world riding so far? I know that's not the point, I'm just hopeful it hasn't actually put you out too much sitting at the dealership this whole time.

Depends what re-engineered actually means - doesn't it. That is a term. It could mean, they have had the piston kit installed and been sorted as my dealer indicated or it could mean they have gone back to square one. Think the sorted bit would fit. But who knows unless you can actually get the inside track from Mr BMW

Back
Top Bottom