San Fransisco

jonnyq462

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Am doing a bike road trip from San Fransisco in May. Planning to spend a night at Monterey Bay. any suggestions of other destinations from San Fransisco ?

Carmel by the sea is worth a look in, very touristy but we’d visit again

San Francisco, you say...? Lunch at Alice's Restaurant on Skyline Boulevard is usually a must for me, whenever I'm in the Bay Area. http://www.alicesrestaurant.com

Then head South and get onto Empire Grade and Bonny Doon down to Davenport on Hwy 1. Take in Stage Road somewhere along the way. If you like goat tracks look for the roads named "Grades" - China Grade, Ice Cream Grade et al and if you like a real challenge try Tunitas Creek Road down from Skyline Blvd to the Pacific Ocean at Half Moon Bay. :D

Other than that, there's not much to do.... :D Ok then, a couple of mountain rides. Cross the Golden Gate into Marin and ride up Mt Tamalpais, come down and ride Hwy1 up to The Sand Dollar Restaurant at Stinson Beach for lunch. Ride up Mt Hamilton, outside San Jose. Visit the Lick Observatory. Ride down the other side and do Mines Road and Del Puerto Canyon Road. There's more and more. The Bay Area is criss crossed with great riding roads and attractions.

Further away the Sierra Mountain passes such as Sonora Pass and Monitor Pass offer stunning riding roads.

Much depends on how long you're there for and if you have other further away desinations in mind, e.g. Yosemite, Death Valley, Lake Tahoe. Are your renting a bike, if so from which company? If by any chance it's from Dubbelju, I know they'll be more than happy to make good suggestions as I'm sure will the staff at other rental companies.

Have a great time. :thumb

Big Sur dont miss it.

The PCH from Carmel to the Big Sur is worth a drive. Then further south to Hearst Castle - it's much more interesting than I thought. Look out for the Elephant Seals on the beach just to the north of Hearst Castle.

Schum hit all my favourite spots in a very concise fashion. If you go to Alice's Restaurant and see a bunch of older gents wearing full leathers and riding bikes like Ducati 900 MH replicas. If you meet them out on the road don't try and keep up, it's all just a game and they play it a lot! You will love it, best riding in the world in my opinion.

Am doing a bike road trip from San Fransisco in May. Planning to spend a night at Monterey Bay. any suggestions of other destinations from San Fransisco ?

Perhaps that should have read HOPE to be doing a bike trip in May.

if you are going san fran to Monterey ,you will pick up the Pacific Highway, we went from LA to San Fran, found the Pacific Highway better south of Monterey . If you are into MotoGP you are close to Laguna Seca, Go check out the cork screw, you can walk it if the track is open and not in use.

Did you end up doing this trip in May? Postpone? I live in the Bay Area and have ridden entire state top to bottom several times. Dubblju, btw, is gone - Wolfgang pulled the plug a couple months ago. :(

Some of the best riding in the world here in Cali - if you had to postpone and are planning on doing it when things open up again I could give you some ideas. Make sure you indicate how long you’ve got, type of bike you’re riding, types of roads you like to ride and stuff you like to see, camping or moteling, any must-see items on your list.

Schtum knows his stuff. This is taking me back a bit but my favs were:

Hwy 1 through Mill Valley and Stinson beach up to Tomalaes Bay
Alice's and blasts out to San Gregorio and down to Boulder Creek (Hwy 9) and back
Mines Road, Livermore
Grizzly Peak above Berkeley for evening blasts
Hwy 1 down to Sant Cruz
Lassen NP

Want to go a bit further and see the West? Try this ...
https://goo.gl/maps/5V4bnwtTzgYMFuWeA .......
https://goo.gl/maps/Fh34u5gciwde745VA

tOCp0DBbedOh6UlcncMg2whzes1eAK1rYo-4W1krp-AC5bsgkaw6HNF0lhdyriUSZumpRdUBkridAi2A2W8nSsoOitHGXgJCTHzKy56KspscaBm92R7327Ckp_gosgKF2ASoWhRJz5Lfuw

If you head north towards Petaluma, try Ernie's Tin Bar.

You will NOT be disappointed!

:beer:

tOCp0DBbedOh6UlcncMg2whzes1eAK1rYo-4W1krp-AC5bsgkaw6HNF0lhdyriUSZumpRdUBkridAi2A2W8nSsoOitHGXgJCTHzKy56KspscaBm92R7327Ckp_gosgKF2ASoWhRJz5Lfuw

If you head north towards Petaluma, try Ernie's Tin Bar.

You will NOT be disappointed!

:beer:

What a great place. Just had a look and it was there when I was over there so really disappointed I never knew about it (internet was in its early-ish years). We'd regularly loop north of SF and take the short route back via Tomales Petaluma Rd back to the 101. This would have been a great stop-off point.

Back
Top Bottom