New Multi V4

I know what I'd do in your position. Have you ever heard the testers say what they're saying en mass about this bike with any other bike before? There's always something they hate, something they'd change. Many things usually. But they're all saying it's top of the tree.

The caveat is that the GS is more likely (time and reviews will tell) to be better off-road. Can't imagine a single person exists who'd rather drop a V4 over a GS off-road. But as we've always said on here - how many take their nice new GS off-roading?5%? 2%? Fewer?

It's starting to sound like Ducati have pitched this about right. A fast/smooth/capable (and, dare I say, better looking bike than the GS) tourer that's also ok off road if you fancy that. It's a dearer bike, but let's face it - if you can afford a new specced up GS you can probably afford the Duc anyway.

Not really bothered but it'll be interesting to watch the new reg sales in March.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I go off road on my GS less than 1% of the time. I have done it more in the USA with rented ones though!

That aside, my only other consideration is that I ride with a pillion a lot and I can't find much about what it is like for someone on the back in all these reviews. Anyone heard anything?

I still think a new GS and a second hand S1000R is a more compelling proposition.

I go off road on my GS less than 1% of the time. I have done it more in the USA with rented ones though!

That aside, my only other consideration is that I ride with a pillion a lot and I can't find much about what it is like for someone on the back in all these reviews. Anyone heard anything?

I still think a new GS and a second hand S1000R is a more compelling proposition.

Yeah, I'm concerned about pillion comfort only because my 1290 adv has been great for my girl. No way I'd have bought the previous Multi for touring 2 up.

The reviewers all say how comfortable the rider seat is and that's a stock seat too. No reason to suppose the pillion seat will be any different. Just hope they've got the rear ergo's right. Part of this is the pannier choice and the plastic rubbish will get put to one side if Bumot get a set made. One thing the GS nails for sure.

I guess the devil's advocate to your comment is 'you can only ride one bike at a time anyway'. So, great bike every ride, or just enjoy two different models. Also, will you in fact ride both bikes? Or will you gravitate to the GS 90%? If so thats like me with the Tuono and 1290. Prob 95% 1290 if I'm honest so the Tuono was just taking up space in the garage! Such a great bike but I couldn't justify the 5%.

Totally agree about the pillion ergonomics. A few years ago I was dead set on an S1000XR and the pillion position killed the deal as neither my wife nor either of my kids felt comfortable on the back of it. GS is as good as it gets for a passenger.

I am not worried about the lack of use with two bikes. I don't have my own car and nip into the office nearly every day by bike and having something smaller and lighter than the GS would be good most days.

Would love a Tuono but am banking on the new S1000R model hitting the second hand value of the older models!

Bike have just tested the V4S v the R1250GSTE and S1000XR TE.
I posted the test in the pub but repeated here :

51b845c1a4746f47a3813afad846b57c.png

243a3334591e4e6a49c37e0850eee8c9.png

8518f5e950c4a5dce43524da96673eb7.png

51dbdf0e4bc3c38fadf76ef731426dfb.png

56fab8c1dc5412fd230cdd17e35ca636.png

aefa58c5082c13ed3b03da38dbb564f8.png

46f60b39fd0d0b117183f8f8daa16983.png

a5d56af2946af01ff14af04aae388907.png

c72dd37ed47347252c09a082a2091008.png

c730606aa6dbe08217a4f9f0b9e63e8a.png

I know many don't buy bikes based on fuel economy but the v4 is quite shocking, ive also heard it can get as low as 20mpg, not sure how true that is.

Post that in the Ducati Multi Forum and make them all eat their words! :blagblah

I don't think so , I'd buy the XR out of that lot :hide
I will of course give it a go , however for me the Neevesy test painted the picture I imagined.

Neeves likes 4 cylinder bikes he has always been a biased toward them in tests comparing to twins and he has always favoured V4s

All that said i do not doubt for one moment that the Multi is a great bike if i had to choose between the XR and the V4 multi it would be a very tough choice having owned an XR and knowing just how good they actually are.

My biggets issue with the new Multi is that it has been built to compete with the GS rather than the XR. The Ducati target in the bike market place is the GS and the thing i dont want in my life is a GS or a competitor to it, the competitor may be a bit better but still in that Genre !

The 1260 Pikes peak i currently own is a brilliant bike - not without its faults i accept but it sort of stands alone - not fitting into a market segment

Someone has said how un comfy the 1260 is and yet i find it to be incredibly comfortable and cossetting easily good for 500 mile days with the ability to do some serious mile munching on big roads or scratching on the back twisty stuff.

I will of course try the new multi when it becomes time to change but as it stands it will have to be incredible to change my pre conceived opinion

I have never taken a pillion and nor do i intend to so i cant comment on that

So according to that it's the same as a GS but more efficient and refined :nenau

That's a huge turn off for me (not that I'm interested in buying one so my views don't count) but from my objective POV, and based on the above, I can see exactly why it wouldn't appeal to your typical Ducati fan. I'm guessing your typical Ducati rider buys one 'cos they like V twins? It's certainly the reason I ride a KTM and V twin Ducatis have always been on my radar for that reason. By implication the last bike in the world I'd have any interest in owning would be a smooth IL4 or V4 so can quite understand why a lot of dyed in the wool Ducati owners wouldn't be interested.

Regardless, there will be a big market for it I'm sure :)

Andres

So according to that it's the same as a GS but more efficient and refined :nenau

That's a huge turn off for me (not that I'm interested in buying one so my views don't count) but from my objective POV, and based on the above, I can see exactly why it wouldn't appeal to your typical Ducati fan. I'm guessing your typical Ducati rider buys one 'cos they like V twins? It's certainly the reason I ride a KTM and V twin Ducatis have always been on my radar for that reason. By implication the last bike in the world I'd have any interest in owning would be a smooth IL4 or V4 so can quite understand why a lot of dyed in the wool Ducati owners wouldn't be interested.

Regardless, there will be a big market for it I'm sure :)

Andres

Large capacity adventure bikes are so yesterday, dahling !

PS
Have you seen that 701 for sale (NO-not mine !! ) ?

Large capacity adventure bikes are so yesterday, dahling !

PS
Have you seen that 701 for sale (NO-not mine !! ) ?

Exactly, as ever you have your finger on the pulse :)

And whilst it's a bit soon for the Husky (I need to sell the KTM) could you point a stupid Hippy in it's general direction please, I'm buggered if I can find it :nenau

Andres

Interesting read , so many opinions out there at the moment and as a 1250 purist its a hard choice to change , but , and its a big but, this bike maybe the new guy on the block for some who may enjoy the ride on the faster side with the comfort and realities of a Gs copy but with a great motor . its just the forks that weight heavy with me at the moment as the tele is so good.
Test ride will make my mind up as the covid break and advancing years , maybe a change , lets see. Thanks for the post as not seen it yet

Disappointed by this review.

It's just headline grabbing again isn't it. Like...'ooh I know, let's get a review out before everyone else'. Fair enough.

But they really should have waited. The review needed the new 1290 included didn't it.

Anyway, the GS is an amazing bike, but as I've said many times on here, the 1290 is more engaging by some margin. They're just different. Both excellent. And the Ducati is also...wait for it...excellent. So it seems they're all excellent. So reviews like this where they pick a 'winner' just seems a bit trite to me. Just choose which one you like innit (not the GS for me. I'd rather have the new 1290 if there wasn't a Ducati).

I think the Duc will suit me just fine.

V4, Fast, Smooth, Quiet

Am I going to spend 20k on my next bike? No, so I'm out. Simple for me really, no need to compare snakes as just not going to buy one new..Will review this thread in a couple of years time when it's suddenly too heavy to move around the garage! :) Still a shark

Back
Top Bottom