2011 R1200GSA struggling to accelerate at high rpm problem!!

Moonmanzn

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Good Afternoon Sir's and the odd lady!

Been happily solving issues and finding deals for my R1200gsa on this forum for a bit.

Have an issue on my new to me 11 R1200GSA

Bike starts and isles fine, maybe a slight more vibration that may be normal. Bike accelerates through 1st 2nd 3rd and 4th quite fine but when in 5th and 6th and roll on the throttle the bike seems to hesitate and doesnt pull cleanly at higher rpm 6000 onwards?

I have completed a full service.

New plugs etc

Checked valves

New battery

Checked gs911 - no errors

Fitted 2 new primary coils

New fuel and Injector cleaner

Has full decat system and rapid bike evo so fitted a bypass to check the unit and issue still present.

02 sensors show voltage from 0.1 to 0.9 so they are fine.

I'm stumped now !!!

Maybe TPS?...voltage shows 0.78...

Possibly fuel starvation?

Any help greatly appreciated

Regards Norman
fa9effd0295cb2f7c1c19bd030eb6c8d.jpg

Sent from my SM-N976B using Tapatalk

Stepper motors are know for failure

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Stepper motors are know for failure

No errors on gs911...only error was exhaust flap and that's deleted

I'm about to try a TPS off another bike

Also secondary coils , I had this problem with a r1150rt , didn’t show up any fault codes but felt like fuel starvation at high load , quite happy to site at 70 but crank the throttle open and flat and stuttering.

Also secondary coils , I had this problem with a r1150rt , didn’t show up any fault codes but felt like fuel starvation at high load , quite happy to site at 70 but crank the throttle open and flat and stuttering.

I hope not as primary where 200, secondary are 220. I dont want to throw money at this thing.

TPS off another bike didnt do anything

Surely, a rider can tell the difference between a clutch slipping and an engine not picking up as it should ....??!

Surely, a rider can tell the difference between a clutch slipping and an engine not picking up as it should ....??!
I dont think this is the clutch, the rpm doesnt run away from me it just feels like the bike is holding back as if fuel starved etc.

I could be wrong

If its picking up fine in the lower gears and doesnt in 5th &6th its clutch slip. I know, because ive suffered it with a GS that had 21k on the clock. The clue being if its revving fine in lower gear's and not picking up in higher ones 5th and 6th. My one didnt slip in lower gears and accelerated fine until the clutch had to deal with more load in the top 2.

That's what I would have thought. Engine revs increasing without speed increasing. Clutch slip. Doesn't sound like that from what he says.
I'd say probably coil related . But as you've replaced the main ones maybe not. Do you know anyone with the same bike that you can swap them over just to check.

That's what I would have thought. Engine revs increasing without speed increasing. Clutch slip. Doesn't sound like that from what he says.
I'd say probably coil related . But as you've replaced the main ones maybe not. Do you know anyone with the same bike that you can swap them over just to check.
Yeah revs dont go up, thing is now and again it has a good day and pulls like a train.

I replaced the mains, would the secondary cause this issue?

No unfortunately, noone near. Have brothers bike coming tmrw but it's an 07 so dunno if can swap the lowers

also I have tank up to fit rapid bike evo, air filter etc, was gently done but any possibilities of pinched pipe etc?

Fuel starvation?. My (much older) R1150RS suffered low power above 4500rpm. Vibrated badly at higher revs. Turned out to be fuel starvation, the electrical connector to fuel pump was corroded, & would not carry the full load of electric when demanded by the pump

Unlikely to be corrosion on a 2011, but worth checking connections, if you haven’t eliminated already

If you have full power at high revs/lower gears, then maybe not fuel.

Fuel starvation?. My (much older) R1150RS suffered low power above 4500rpm. Vibrated badly at higher revs. Turned out to be fuel starvation, the electrical connector to fuel pump was corroded, & would not carry the full load of electric when demanded by the pump

Unlikely to be corrosion on a 2011, but worth checking connections, if you haven’t eliminated already

If you have full power at high revs/lower gears, then maybe not fuel.

Yeah im stumped, pulls hard through lower gears and then around 90ish it will hold back. ( not that Im trying to speed everywhre but noticed it and then tried few times and definately a stop)
feels almost like wins pushing me back.

short of buying new lower coils but been told they are there to clean up the left over fuel and wont affect power

Check the fuel pressure, it should be 4 bar / 60 psi on a twin cam.
Mine was down to 30 psi under hard acceleration and recording an afr of 18 to 1 so was struggling top end ( if I had carried on it would have been by-by valves).
The pump had done 42K miles.
The pressure regulator is mechanical and there is no sensor to let the ecu know the pressure is low.
At full throttle it is in open loop so the lambda sensors can`t try to compensate for the lean condition.

a glitch / holding back as you open it up in higher gears is never clutch slip, clutch slip is the exact opposite symptom... it revs out too easily (as its not driving the bike up the road).

fuel pressure is a good point,

I was surprised in earlier posts about knock sensors and people asking for values and indeed by my diagnostic kit giving me no info on the coil packs.

Does a vehicle with a ZFE high give out more diagnostic data?
Do later Twin cam bikes get more data? Even my BM dealer said their kit gets noting on coil packs failing over diagnostics on hex heads.
Yet the same ECU fitted to a K1300 does and my older Merc spit out diagnostic data on failing coil packs, even picking up the specific cylinder doing it (out of 8) and so does a 2007 Ford Focus

Back
Top Bottom