701 great bike but not for me

peepingtom

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
its difficult to conclude that the sort of riding that I enjoy means there's really no need for a 701 enduro in my life. ive only had it 3 days and been out on one 130 mile ride :D

I was suduced by the looks and the fantasy of owning one but the truth be told I prefer riding my Africa Twin (most of the time ) despite its bulk. I have to admit that its just not me anymore, I very long time ago (in the 80s ) I used to do enduros on my xr600

yes technically its brilliant bike but i just like to bimble about in a bit more comfort , ive realised I don't need 75hp and 11 inches of travel. strangely I preferred riding my Himalayan . oh well nothing ventured I might keep it for a bit but I reckon it will be for sale soon :p

Start saving Andres .... keep an eye on the for sale section .....:D

That's a real shame but kudos for being honest................ It's a 2019 model isn't it?

Andres

Yes it’s a 2019 model but registered last week. Yesterday was the first time I got arm pump for a very long time I had trouble hanging on at some points. It’s so quick off road and will happily start wheeling at 50 mph if given any encouragement at all .

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yes it’s a 2019 model but registered last week. Yesterday was the first time I got arm pump for a very long time I had trouble hanging on at some points. It’s so quick off road and will happily start wheeling at 50 mph if given any encouragement at all .

That sounds an absolute hoot but yeah, not really a 'bimble bike'.................

Andres

The exact opposite of my experience. I too bought a 701 because I "just wanted one", but the longer I've had it, the more i love it.

Long ago i used to enter quite a few enduros (XR250), and was never very good at it, and I'm even worse now :D

The bike is an utter weapon on the back roads on std. tyres, and not too shabby on dirt, even for the off road novice I strongly resemble. Dumping the TKC80s and bunging on Michelin Trackers has helped a lot here. Take some getting used to on the road though :eek:

Give it time. Might as well, can't be a great time to sell.

Husky%20Folly%202-XL.jpg

It's a much better bible bike than my 1190 :)

The exact opposite of my experience. I too bought a 701 because I "just wanted one", but the longer I've had it, the more i love it.

Long ago i used to enter quite a few enduros (XR250), and was never very good at it, and I'm even worse now :D

The bike is an utter weapon on the back roads on std. tyres, and not too shabby on dirt, even for the off road novice I strongly resemble. Dumping the TKC80s and bunging on Michelin Trackers has helped a lot here. Take some getting used to on the road though :eek:

Give it time. Might as well, can't be a great time to sell.

Husky%20Folly%202-XL.jpg

It's a much better bible bike than my 1190 :)

I did another 20 miles today and.....
im going to keep it for a while and see if I change my mind. I think ill look at setting the suspension a bit less harsh if I can on the first 25% as its a bit to stiff for me. how do you find yours what year is it?
did you just cut down the rear guard to tidy it up and get the plate higher?
I had an xr250 for a while too what great little bikes they were

It's a 19 like yours.

The forks were very stiff and crashy when new, but softened up in a few hundred miles. Never think about them now. Back end is OK, but a bit soft if I get into deeper whoops off road. Dynamic sag is surprisingly not far out at a quick check and I'm somewhat heavier than the 75/85Kg rider weight that Husky apparently spec for.
I've never even looked at the settings. I imagine it's set to "Std." when it leaves the factory. Meant to check it out, but never seemed to get around to it. There is a softer Comfort setting in the manual that you could reset to.

I took the back part of the rear guard off. It's only 4 screws IIRC, but you have to take the panel behind the seat off to unplug the no. plate lamp. Then I drilled through the holes in the plate and screwed it to what remains of the guard. It's almost like Husky knew that many would relocate and made it pretty easy.
I bunged up the large hole under the rear lamp wiring with a grommet, as otherwise water would slosh in off the rear tyre. I also cut down and relocated the number plate lamp to the underside of the centre rear panel. I don't really think that is necessary. It would be a miserable MOT tester to fail on that I think.

Probably will be my next bike, they have been itching me for a while, so I need to scratch it.

Probably will be my next bike, they have been itching me for a while, so I need to scratch it.

Even though I've had two 690 Enduros which I loved I sold them because they were too tall for me to ride off-road confidently.

My very dominant bonkers side says JFBI and I must admit to keep coming back to the thread to look.

Rob - please bash some sense into me!

Is it 'fly by wire' or is there anything you could do to make the throttle a bit less responsive, to make it more of a bimble bike?

My gut says the 501 plus a few clever mods is still the way to go as theres a fair weight difference to be played with despite the price differential not being that much.
ZZR is definitely going up for sale now.

Is it 'fly by wire' or is there anything you could do to make the throttle a bit less responsive, to make it more of a bimble bike?

It has two modes,1 and 2.
1 is Road ands 2 is Off-Road which softens the power delivery considerably.

For me, the 701 Enduro is much nicer on the road than the SM was as the gearing is a fair bit lower and more usable at lower speeds.

Modes were dropped on the 701E after the 18MY.

I've only found it an issue if you hit an awkward bump that sets the rider back unexpectedly opening the throttle with the movement.

Although my 950 SE doesn't have a snatchy throttle it does have a lot of instant power.

To tame that initial throttle opening I've re profiled the first third using a hacksaw blade then tidying up. The result is I can trail ride over rocks just off a closed throttle with no clutch.
Perfect :)
10-1-S.jpg

IMG_2100-XL.jpg

The 690 I had even with a similar throttle profile was still awful. 3 power modes with soft being like a gutless 250, middle starting to get snatchy at low speeds and hard was unrideable at low speed on technical sections.

A 701 one with FCR carb conversion would be my choice ..... if I was forced to buy a 701 ;)

re-map it?

Ive had some training sessions with Dylan Jones (son of Geraint) from the yamaha off road school. (They used to come down and run our work off road refreshers).

Dylan was on a WR250. Somebody asked him if the bike was standard. 'Of Course' he replied. 'We've done nothing to it other than some bar risers and obviously we've re-mapped it'.

It was his nonchalance of 're-mapped it' like ..... 'well of course you would ... wouldn't you?' that caught my ear ... :thumb2

Re mapping doesn't always work to remove the snatching despite there being loads of maps out there to load yourself and experiment, ridden harder there seems to be no issue and they're great bikes:beerjug:

Back
Top Bottom