How do I send a route from MyRoute on an iPad to the XT?

Sorry but this doesn’t work.
The XT is not compatible with the Garmin Explore app and on delving I found this explanation:

The zumo XT model comes pre-installed with Garmin Explore information. It is not compatible with the Garmin Explore smartphone app. Explore data is synced with the Garmin Drive smartphone app.

So I’m still no wiser how to simply plan a route on an iPad/iPhone and sync easily with the XT.

As at the beginning of this thread, I have been planning routes using MyRouteApp on the iPad, then exporting to Garmin Drive (via SaveAs GPX1.1 and selecting Drive in the share sheet) which then dumps it onto the Zumo XT. I had some teething problems, but now it's working really well....

As at the beginning of this thread, I have been planning routes using MyRouteApp on the iPad, then exporting to Garmin Drive (via SaveAs GPX1.1 and selecting Drive in the share sheet) which then dumps it onto the Zumo XT. I had some teething problems, but now it's working really well....

Yes I saw that , ta, but the MyRoute app is not exactly intuitive and it seems ridiculous you need about 15 steps to send a route to an XT when Tom Tom have the MyDrive app which syncs routes directly to your sat nav as soon as they are planned on the phone app .

Think I’ll just plan routes on the XT itself .
Should have known Garmin were still shite !!!

I tried this today, seems like the XT Bluetooth connection is very hit and miss. I installed Garmin drive on my iPad, logged in then tried to get XT to recognise the iPad. After countless times of closing apps and rebooting devices, it eventually worked. However, when I tried to do another route and send it, it just wouldn’t recognise the XT!

I also tried sending the route (track) to another XT, but even though they were right next to each other, they simply could see each other via Bluetooth. Does the XT have an issue with its Bluetooth?

I will persist, as I don’t own a computer, only an iPhone and iPad, so I really want this to work!
:eek :popcorn

Maybe it's got easier.

I found a public route in Scenic that's near me and looks like it might be nice, so I added it to My Routes in Scenic, on my iPhone. I then found the route (Lambourn Loop, by Dave) in My Routes and clicked the export button which brings up the usual IOS app list, found where it says Copy to Drive, press that anda message comes up saying Lambourn Loop received.

Switch on the XT, it asks if you want to import a route, click yes, all done.

Go to trip planner, click on Lambourn Loop, and it even navigates you to the start of the route.

Just having a play as I got my self a new XT.

Followed OP's instructions so far and it seem to be simple enough and working ok. however I haven't transferred anything to the XT just yeas as blooming thing will take nearly 5 hours to download and install every flippin' update there is.

Will try Kurviger too, and see which one works better.

So, since I was asked “politely” by Richard....

This example is based on Best Biking Roads app. A great source of community created routes, from around the world.

If next time you are on holidays or fancy an afternoon ride nearby, without having to create your own route or check paper maps, you can use this app to see what is close by to your own location.
You of-cause, just like me, can contribute, by creating your own routes.

First of all, download the app. It is available to download for the iPad as well as Iphone. As I do not own Android device, I can’t comment the compatibility or indeed of availability for this OS.

This is what you are looking for.
c612a147c106c8d6e2425d2f5bf3569a.jpg

...open it and click Browse Routes...
729446846b88a019dca68252e92f8c60.jpg

...you will be presented with this, now click on “Routes near me”...
4372d21ada202517da83dcb5b5be51ab.jpg

...in this instance I’ve chosen my own route “Bikes, Friends....”...
091e71e306c854098ca6ec97faa528dc.jpg

Select the circled “i”
88aae14b082a3546fa34f84409a50a97.jpg

...this will bring up the information about the route, such as description, type of road that it does go over, etc, You then got to scroll down....
f320ad32861edea22f412416640110da.jpg

...until you see “Download GPX file”, select it (this is where you need to have Garmin Drive app installed, have your XT or any other Garmin Nav paired via Bluetooth to your phone or a tablet)...
6481d10ee3af1a7ca91440f10345cada.jpg

...and tap on “Drive” app..
cc9a201d9b60b8c41bbd4d83356bf735.jpg

...now within the “Drive” app, you will see this message,
tap on “Send”...
97b18e83d492dc47e3b931634d066d35.jpg

...and you will see the progress bar of the transfer to your nav device...
9b9323bc4d37c6fe57737a7a2c9e1f1c.jpg

...you should see this message once transfer has been completed. Tap on “view”..
74c209b5d3cccb4924d0ac0a534467d4.jpg

...you should see the downloaded track, now tap on it...
2384f64a4e91488430379981641e4a1e.jpg

.... now you can see the outline of the actual route, tap “Go”....

Note: My XT running the latest software and map updates, so there aren’t any issues with “straight lining the track as previously has been reported. this might also be an app issues, that this particular app does not have.

22e129719893ca595f5b29a52ce6276c.jpg

...and select how you would prefer to start your ride...
3e0669d5bfe143552c3fadbd1847c6a9.jpg

...You are now ready to navigate! All in all this took less than 5 minutes to do, even if you are taking your time*.

* Providing you have your devices linked via Bluetooth before doing the transfer. Normally once linked, the connection starts automatically.

I will try this with other Nav Apps/Sites.

I hope this helps some of you.

Option Nº2

This Time Using Apple Maps.

Let’s dream up a scenario here.......

It is a beautiful, sunny Sunday Morning and you fancy a ride on you modded hipster scrambler, bobber or what ever it might be and a hipster breakfast wouldn’t go a miss too, perhaps even a hipster tash or a hair trim, while you at it...

So you pull out your iPad/iPhone and look up “The Bike Shed Motorcycle Club” you find it, but you faced with two options, pull out your Garmin Sat Nav device and type in the postcode, street name, building number..... or you plonk your phone into your Quad Lock/SP Connect case and mound it on the bike, tap go and you on your way.
The Latter obviously quicker, but, follow my lead here...

...using my iPad, while sat drinking my morning coffee and admiring the glistening machine in the morning sun (I am imagining here) I start by searching the said place, once satisfied that it is what I am looking for, I tap on “share” icon bellow the photos on the right......

(on iPad)
2b515e008f675df9ed70efc603acc74b.jpg

...clearly as I am using an iPad, it is a tad to big to mount on the bike, especially a 12” Pro model, but same principal applies to iPhone, just screen arrangement is a bit different...

(on iPhone)
d1179a8d5ee5eb4c269f89a78e2cd698.jpg

..on iPhone you must scroll up to see the “Share” button, just like this...
80c4f96ac500b87577668f9f92a666cd.jpg

...once tapped, you will see this window, and tap on “Drive”...
961336bce4c19a83c2b3c0e2fca25db5.jpg

...next you’ll see this window, tap on “Send”
3c3504fa442934c039c0a14aca1947d9.jpg

...from here, there’s are simply no other steps required, the Apple Maps app, sends a file straight to your device, ready to navigate, without having to do much else. Mount it on your bike and you are are literally ready to go.
f74f66c7c55debd97a1ba9063ee71cee.jpg

The benefit of this method, is that you do not have to have an added faffery of what you would get if you used BBR or My Route Apps, by having to go into Trip Planner, select desired route, etc. etc....

The negative here is and this is fault of Apple Maps app in it self (one hopes it will get resolved in the next update), that you do not get to add waypoints, or your own avoidances to the route, this even applies if you use your iPhone as a Navigation device.

However, if you are in the rush, and want to get from A-B, without having to use your phone as a nav (in addition, having to buy rather cumbersome and expensive brackets & cases), merely as “address directory”, then this is an ideal way to do it.

Sadly, Google being T**ts, they no longer support route sharing to other devices, other than one within it’s own app. I.e. iPad/Mac to iPhone using data they have about you or Airdrop method.

Shame really, as on Google Maps App, you can add your own waypoints and up to I believe 15 of them, certainly enough for a descent day trip.

I will have ganders with some other apps...

I think this method will prove to be useful for many users, but remember, you must have downloaded Garmin Drive App and have your Nav and iDevice synced over Bluetooth, for this to work.
There are other benefits of GD, you get weather, live traffic reports, etc, and it doesn’t cost anything to have it downloaded.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Option Nº3

This time using Kurviger web page as our trip planner on iPad and similarly on the Mac/PC. Screens of the smartphones might be a bit to small for some, but certainly doable by zooming in on specific part of the screen.

Open up the page, make sure to select English language from drop down menu above start/finish fields. By default, web page will open in German, but look out for a German flag as a hint to change the language.

The benefit of Kurviger, is basically what I mentioned about Google Maps App, You are able to add as many or as few waypoints as you wish.

For this Scenario we are going to “The Bike Shed Motorcycle Club” for Breakfast and a hipster haircut.

As you can see I gone ahead and typed in random waypoints “on my way to the Shed”...
6fa598ac98d40abefc72b6e6f7c05226.jpg

...highlighted here, you can see waypoints and the + for adding even more waypoints...
94434d700f391ea631b34974b8daa19c.jpg

...once satisfied with my choices, I tapped on “Export” button...
0a4bc463d33a1ce4906d1e934ebe63d5.jpg

...select the information you want to see, Tracks, Waypoints or Just the Route and tap “Export”...
f59fc4a5f3a500cd3137698664f2a639.jpg

Note: Only Route is preselected by default.

...you will then be presented with this window and should tap “download”...
18f6d42c40da2e00fa424b5a1704af09.jpg

...you will then be taken back to original page, where you must tap “downloads” icon (circled)...
f57d86302c2e35a476e494f0e25df5d3.jpg

...you should see a relevant file within drop down menu, tap on it...
711467a8af2afff33d4998d140295326.jpg

...you’ll be taken to a new window showing GPX. code, and tap on “Share” icon (circled)
656541f20f96b98b2037c6b194fceaff.jpg

...Select “Drive” app...
1996c9fed8846a398add197f1df0b14e.jpg

...From here the “Drive” App takes over and you should see this message, tap “Send”...
3fecbc41029b5663a3a0501b95928f96.jpg

... you should see the status of transfer (split seconds in this instance)...
bb273326eff4f70d08997c0ff6c6c83a.jpg

...once received by the Garmin Nav, you should see the following...
45215390fbee714962da510c4297be3d.jpg

...then this, tak “OK”....
6747222626323c6509b9289f11c09a65.jpg

...next, the “Trip Planner” app will open up, select “Saved Trips”...
c419da65e6e5915a52810e4859fb9cf7.jpg

...tap on the trip...
fa4d10d3c975810a783af7013d7c7f27.jpg

... and select starting waypoint...
91af1823c3859630a4e5e354916d55c9.jpg

....a summary of the trip will come up, then tap map to see a complete route, or tap “Go” to navigate...
a006a1b01438bdc193315bb1a9d05e9b.jpg

...tap “Start” and you are on your way.
25a4b96a99d0a5b919b93a0aada13dec.jpg

A little bit more fiddly than Apple Maps or BBR, but I think it is better overall than My Route App...

Note: I have tried Waze, but as it is a sister app of Google Maps, it is unfortunately in same boat.

There are many other Apps, such as, Scenic, Calimoto, etc.... all in their own right standalone SatNavs, but these are paid for Apps, that require your phone to become a dedicated SatNav.
It works for some people, others rather not have their handlebars, plastered with screens and mounting brackets.

Nice work , Ev.
The Kurviger method above doesn’t work with Chrome on iPad , which is normally my default browser , but easy enough to follow using Safari.

Shame that Garmin don’t produce the equivalent of TomTom MyDrive app as that is so easy to plan routes on.
We used to plan a route over brekky on our Asturias trip then share with anybody who had a TomTom.

It’s instant , whereas the file transfer from iPad to XT is very slow.

But the XT in actual use is much better than the TomTom 550 that I still use on different bike .

Nice work , Ev.
The Kurviger method above doesn’t work with Chrome on iPad , which is normally my default browser , but easy enough to follow using Safari.

Shame that Garmin don’t produce the equivalent of TomTom MyDrive app as that is so easy to plan routes on.
We used to plan a route over brekky on our Asturias trip then share with anybody who had a TomTom.

But the XT in actual use is much better than the TomTom 550 that I still use on different bike .

Thank you dude!

Option Nº4

Google Maps.

I have tried Google workaround, but I think for the average Joe, it will be way to much faff and integration with iOS (possibly Android too) devices is to cumbersome. Although there is a method, it isn’t nowhere near as smooth as other options (above) I have tried.

I will not go through a complete step by step method on this occasion, as I will waste your time as well as mine.

But here is the summary, read it if your wish.

If the route that you created incorporates multiple waypoints, that you add within Google Maps App or Web Page, then it does become fragmented once transferred to you Garmin Nav and without (at least I haven’t figured it out) Garmin Basecamp, you can not create (join waypoints) a route from multiple tracks within the Garmin Nav device. I am happy to be corrected (Perhaps Wapping know how?).

Besides the fragmentation, Google will not let you do the conversion to a GPX. file (like it once did) without first subscribing to your own API Key.
Once you have this one time only key, you can use this site to run Google Route (the one you created) web link through GPSV, to get your GPX. file. But as mentioned before. The GPX. code is fragmented and once transferred to a Garmin Nav device, you will end up with just the tracks (not route) that you must convert to a route.
The issues do not stop here, because it is fragmented, you end up having to essentially ride from waypoint to waypoint, then pull over and start next part of the route. Very well if you have 100 miles to ride between the waypoints, but in most cases it will be under 20 miles and in some cases (inside a city) this might be reduced to a a single mile. I can see it becoming rather frustrating for the majority (including myself).

This is where if you are a frequent Google Maps user, then on this occasion, you may as well stick with your smartphone and Quad Lock setup.

So there you have it. I did say that it is way to complicated, and the process nowhere near as smooth as other options.
The process can take anything from twenty minutes and up to an hour, depending on the complexity of the route. I certainly wouldn’t want to deal with this every morning of my EURO jaunt, and certainly, I can not see it happening the night before, through the beer goggles. Which naturally lets face it, most of us would do, especially if you find yourself in the group of Lads (Tossers), As well as the added faff with having to stop - start countless times a day, I can’t see it being a pleasant a holiday or having to keep holding up every group member, before one of them will loose their rag.

Nice work , Ev.

The cause of the problem is that TomTom, I think, operates off a Google platform (making it easier) whilst Garmin does not.

Thank you EVskil for all the work you’ve done and your patient write-up’s. Appreciated. It should be an excellent guide for others.

Thank you EVskil for all the work you’ve done and your patient write-up’s. Appreciated. It should be an excellent guide for others.

No bother Richard, it been a while since I wrote up an essay and nobody complained that it was putting them to bed.

Perhaps I found a niche topic for myself where such essays will be more appreciated?

Back
Top Bottom