How do I send a route from MyRoute on an iPad to the XT?

It certainly works with mapstogpx - there's a great thread on Advrider called "off the beaten track in Europe" with google maps routes of lots of interesting places. In a browser, just paste the maps link in to mapstogpx and it converts the kml to gpx, which you then import to Basecamp, or Explore or whatever you like - and, as discussed in an Android device you can open a Google maps waypoint or route direct into a variety of apps including Drive, Explore, OsmAnd, Locus etc.

Good to know! I’ll give it a go.

It certainly works with mapstogpx - there's a great thread on Advrider called "off the beaten track in Europe" with google maps routes of lots of interesting places. In a browser, just paste the maps link in to mapstogpx and it converts the kml to gpx, which you then import to Basecamp, or Explore or whatever you like - and, as discussed in an Android device you can open a Google maps waypoint or route direct into a variety of apps including Drive, Explore, OsmAnd, Locus etc.

Ok, So I can confirm, that using my iPad Pro, and web based (via Safari) Google Maps in conjunction with www.mapstogpx.com, does actually work. You however must use a mouse (right clic options) to plot waypoints manually. Alternately, you can type them in by adding a waypoint bellow a last one, if you do not want to carry a mouse.
Then Copy and pate web link into the mapstogpx.com. click convert. Click on downloads button (top right corner within Safari) and select the downloaded GPX. file. Tap share icon (top right corner within Safari) and select Garmin Drive. Follow instructions from there.

I however can not get the Google Maps App to do same thing. it comes up with error message within www.mapstogpx.com page.

To conclude, the familiarity of Google Maps web page is easier compared to less familiar Kurviger.de, but in essence the process is near identical. Both methods work well with Safari on iPad and takes hardly any time to get the route on to XT.

Thank you for the heads up about the Maps to GPX. it been saved in my favourites. I guess the guy behind it, paying a descent sum in order to get API key for it to function.

Just had a look.
I can plot waypoint by just pressing on screen,either with finger or Apple Pencil.
Works using Chrome browser too.

Sorry but this doesn’t work.
The XT is not compatible with the Garmin Explore app and on delving I found this explanation:

The zumo XT model comes pre-installed with Garmin Explore information. It is not compatible with the Garmin Explore smartphone app. Explore data is synced with the Garmin Drive smartphone app.

So I’m still no wiser how to simply plan a route on an iPad/iPhone and sync easily with the XT.

Yes, it does work. I think the issue is the use of the term 'Explore' to describe a number of different things.

The Explore App for smartphones which ahs additional functionality for other devices.
The Explore App on the Zumo XT which is already installed, you don't need to install another.
The Explore Website.

The Explore App that I was talking about is the one that can be downloaded for Android or Iphones.
This has similar functionality the the Explore website - https://explore.garmin.com. And yes - Garmin do say that it is not compatible with the Zumo - but we are not using it to talk to the Zumo directly - we are using it to talk to the Explore website. (or the database used by the explore website).

Both of the App and the Website provide a maps to produce routes, tracks and waypoints. Both of them access exactly the same data. I have just done it to confirm to myself that this is what happens.

I loaded a stored route on the explore.garmin.com website.
I loaded the same route on my Android Phone using the Garmin Explore App for Androids
I edited the route on the Android phone
I refreshed the page at explore.garmin.com on my PC and it now showed then changes that I made on the Android.

I turned on my XT - which communicates with the website - it does this using the Drive App which is installed on my Android.
Clicked Where To->Explore->Routes - and loaded the route that I had just edited.

It obtained the recently edited version.

So, yes - it does work - and you have been mislead because there are three different things referred to by Garmin As 'Explore'. I think that for some other devices, the Explore app will synch the data from the map in to another device. So yes, that part of it will not work with the Zumo XT. To synch the data from the Explore App you need to have the Drive App installed on the smartphone to take carry out all communication between the phone and the XT. (So it handles weather, traffic, text messages, alert, etc etc, as well as the Explore data).
-------

So - On your phone. Install the Garmin Drive App. Pair it with the XT. When it is running, you will see a 'd' shaped symbol drawn in double lines as if it was a 270 degree bend in a road.

On your phone, install the Explore App. Make sure you set up an account with Garmin.
(You can check this if you wish on a PC or iDevice. explore.garmin.com - it does the same thing)
Create a route on your phone (Explore App) or on the website.
Load the route into the XT. (Where to->Explore) It gets it from the website, using your phones data via the drive app.

I'm not saying that this is a brilliant solution from Garmin, but it does work.

If you need a video or illustrated instructions, I'll do one. But give it a go first - cos you'll have to wait. Decorators are in and I my internet connection is down during the day.

I came back to this thread to respond to @Arsey. But I've just read through all of that brilliant information from @EVskij. Excellent stuff. I'll be working my way through that little lot, trying out mapping alternatives that I hadn't come across.

Thanks @evskij !

Sadly, Gary / ‘Spangle’ who did all the first work to find out how to reliably send routes to an XT, without using a home computer, has died.

Gary (a ‘Black Cab’ driver in London but originally from ‘Up north’) was a really nice bloke. I met up with him a few times, when he parked his cab outside our office in the City and once, at the start of lockdown, when he came to my house to pick up a ‘well used’ - I think the expression is - tank bag which I’d converted for him to take electrical power.

RIP.

Richard

Sadly, Gary / ‘Spangle’ who did all the first work to find out how to reliably send routes to an XT, without using a home computer, has died.

Gary (a ‘Black Cab’ driver in London but originally from ‘Up north’) was a really nice bloke. I met up with him a few times, when he parked his cab outside our office in the City and once, at the start of lockdown, when he came to my house to pick up a ‘well used’ - I think the expression is - tank bag which I’d converted for him to take electrical power.

Richard

That is sad news, RIP Spangle.

Sad news indeed. I used his hard work for the first time yesterday for a 226 mile route around the Dales, North Pennines and Lake District and it worked perfectly :thumby:

Video and pictures, when you are ready, please.

I thought I had posted this after I completed it Apparently not. I completed it a month ago. Memory must be on its way out..... I think I put it on zumouser

Anyway, here’s a play list of 4 videos which will play one after the other, automatically.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/i0qruOSAGPo" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Shift it to a new location if you wish @Wapping !

John

Last edited by a moderator:
Embedded video working for me on an iPad.

6772ef41cdaeaca1bbae038e52e44c74.png

e6650ef8eb32fdfb1e213b03f1654a8b.png

I think I can only see / find video one of four? I can’t see the video’s listed on John’s YouTube account either.

I think I can only see / find video one of four? I can’t see the video’s listed on John’s YouTube account either.

Sorry - I don't know what happened there then.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/i0qruOSAGPo" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/zmr86xFSvpE" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/YZNY6Ja3oFw" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/vr0soMOxN10" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

John

Last edited by a moderator:

Back
Top Bottom